Review The Last Game You Beat

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Postby Bluecast » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:42 pm

OL wrote:I just think scores themselves are what's wrong with gaming reviews in general. I mean, a game can be budget-y, low-polish, and just generally mediocre from a sort of "factual" technical standpoint... but does that automatically negate whether it's actually clever, innovative, or fun?
A game could be all of those things, but just because it's missing that AAA-level of polish like the 'big boys" -- just because it isn't Uncharted or Gears of War -- it'll be doomed to getting low points in certain areas, forcing a reviewer to give it a lower score.
That's fucking bullshit.

Agreed.

Sadly also that Wii game might even sell more copies than Mafia II. :lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:47 pm

It has :sad:

thats why theres so many Imagine games, they sell.

as for mafia 2 its a pretty good game just most people are playing it and not actually getting what they should out of it. Its, clunky and not mechanically all there, but the dialogue is extremely well written as is the story and the audio is just plain fantastic. Its worth playing, maybe not for full price but still worth playing.

my old man just beat the game and he's stomping around crying bloody murder. according to him "I feel more violated then Avril Levigne" in response to the ending
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Jokatech19 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:12 am

I noticed this truth about games when I played Samuria Warriors. That game got a horrendously low score, yet I purchased it anyway. It ended up being one of the most addictive games I've played. Some games get no publicity at all due to lacking polish. New Legends was an awesome game that was very memorable, yet, because it looked like an old gen game graphically, it wasn't even acknowledged. yet some beat-em ups have stolen concepts from that very game.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:09 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... -ii-review

Ha! And look at all of the advertisements on the website and the game has such a low score!
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Godfather is such an underrated game.
Any version.It's a GTA clone but better than GTA I think. I just love how so seamlessly they have you follow the events of the film but put your character in the middle of it without ruining it.(no not a review just half responding to the Mafia games) I esp love how you move up the ranks RPG style.
Too bad like Mafia II the sequel didn't quite live up.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:07 am

Red Seeds Profile

It’s hard to believe that Red Seeds Profile (RSP) is only Hidetaka Suehiro’s second attempt at making a video game. Why? Because more than a definite grasp on consistent and innovative game design, there seems to be almost a cry, a satire of the common video game traits, that would more commonly be expected of a tired veteran.
Gameplay elements like rewarding the player with fake video game currency for mundane actions like shaving or sleeping denounces the absurdity with which meta-economies are implemented as artificial rewards for the player’s efforts (and spend them on ludicrously priced commodities). Concurrently there is the “good” kind of reward, one that isn’t number-based, by getting the players to know the world and its characters. Much like Shenmue, it isn’t a grind to get something artificially valuable, but it’s your personal experience as the game player that is your own reward. In the end, it’s this that will compose your memory and fondness of the game, and not how many Greenvale dollars you racked up.

RSP makes things differently. Despite its ‘free-roaming’ structure tied into a survival horror shooter, it reaches untold heights in the way story and characters are developed. While it doesn’t invent anything new, it’s the way it took the old design and made it different that sets it a cut above. Characters are more human now, the story is fantastic and even if it drops into Hollywood 80s horror at times, it is more than coherent.
Above all it shows not only a great deal of intelligence from the creator but also a great deal of respect for the player’s intelligence.
The way the whole game embraces you, how it gives you so much to think, how all ends up trying up together (in a way that Heavy Rain, a game that was much more pretentious and whose budget Access Games can’t compete with), even things that look surreal end up being coherent. This extreme control over the experience is a complete game design masterclass, in a genre that had admittedly gone stale.
The mistery of York Morgan, central to the entire story is a delight to uncover.

This duality between good and bad design (or “mock bad design”), and the concept of duality as a whole, is key to the entire game.

The presentation in this game is, to say the least, intriguing. Due to the constant restructure of reality (the real vs the other world) there is almost always a second side to everything. The way we’re led into the game is a fine balance between serious cutscenes with a great sense of aesthetics (particularly regarding the crime scenes) to the relatively quiet exploration of the town and surroundings. Then there are the more comedical or farcical cutscenes and the action scenes. There’s a real sense of being overwhelmed, particularly when the game begins to open up after the first chapters, and you really get the scope of how much you can see and do with this apparently simple game.

The main character Francis York Morgan is, despite his incredible charm, a tortured soul. Since you play the game through him, you’ll be taken into his world, but you’ll soon realise his reality is quite more complex than your typical video game character. Apart from the main adventure in what is presumably the real world, you’ll often have to delve through what is called The Outer World, where reality is transformed through York’s mind, for mysterious reasons whose explanation is part of the main story. If this was not enough you’ll also explore his dreams, in mysterious rooms (a red room, a white room, a forest room…) in which the content is much more surreal and past and present mingle. These dreams while visually familiar to other game’s dream sequences are richer; they don’t intend to scare you, but more simply to give impact to the mystery, with characters, much like in Twin Peaks, that seem to hold the answers that you just can’t seem to get ahold of yet. York’s personality and the game’s pacing contribute to making these dreams an interesting point of reflection, particularly in hindsight, as the plot begins to unravel in the real world.
The Twin Peaks influence ends up as being irrelevant. After all, it seems much more worthy a praise that an unfinished series from 20 years ago is revisited by video game designers from Japan. Secondly, while first impressions do give the notions of familiarity, by the end of the journey (and this game definitely demands an apprecciation in full) both ends would have strayed apart, as Red Seeds Profile expands the Twin Peaks premise and develops it for a video game, and end up exploring the investigative genre in quite a different way. After the superficial similarities, I wouldn’t compare them further.

Throughout the game York will get to meet and interact often (the more the better) with Greenvale’s residents. While the number of characters in itself is not overwhelming (about 30), the fact that you can follow, reach and interact with them at any time is a cut above what Shenmue did 10 years ago. This time, thanks to a map that is both an intentional nuisance and a life-saver, you can know where all characters are at all times and thus, can approach them when you like. Some of these characters have routines, others lead pretty dull hard-working lives, but they always have something to say, if not some important sidequest. The availability is dependent on both time and weather, as well as chapter (despite being of colossal length for an adventure game, the game also expects you to replay chapters and/or sections – if you want to ace it, that is).
No character is more important however than yourself. Making the player a different character from the main one, while still controlling it, goes far from just adapting Twin Peaks’ “Diane” into “Zach”, your and York’s alter-ego. Having a slight correlation with Akira Ueda’s Contact in terms of situating the game player within the game world, York will frequently engage in conversation with you and is even aware that you are controlling him (“I’ll leave the action bits to you”) – in fact, he has complete faith in you. The way it makes the player so comfortable with the character turns York into even more of a charmer. These constant soliloquies (so to speak) grant the game an almost literary value, an interesting and sharp contrast with Alan Wake’s often forced descriptions of things you can see (which should have no place in visual media) and the best characterization of any protagonist in a video game.
Far and away, Francis York Morgan (“Call me York, every one calls me that”) is the most interesting and intriguing character I have come across, despite being pretty much foreign and almost lost within the set environment. After the intro, we’re formally introduced to him, as he speeds on his car while talking on his cell-phone, using his laptop and smoking a cigarrette. After the crash you’ll lose all these items (save for the cigarrettes, a slim “Heavy” brand that ends up being part of his persona, and a key visual aspect in the profiling sequences). Although the cars have a sort of GPS (as well as turn-signals and windshield wipers), your map will be quasi-severed – you can’t zoom out enough. All of this adversity is to antagonize York to the environment. His initial clash with the inhabitants (and your initial clash with the map, hugeness of the town and blandness of the environments, until you learn them) is relevant. This objectivity in taking away the control from the player has been a staple of modern game design (with Far Cry 2 a common example). This makes the player work for his comfort, exploring Greenvale to make himself familiar with shortcuts and turns, with the aid of very long day cycles and no real need to rush (there are time-limits to certain missions but they can be repeated the following day).
While York drinks heavily from Dale Cooper’s fountain of wit, he keeps a video game charm that others don’t possess yet. As he’s so complex it’s very hard to analyse him. In a way, he also inherits heavily from the movies he admires (80s american movies; movies he chats with you about), and so does the game, as a whole, particularly toward the later chapters, as climatic action sequences become more prominent. The question is, however, what deal this is: farse, praise or simply love? Don’t we all try to be like movie heroes? That York is so human, even if quite a quirky human, we can understand his personality going past the common spectrum of black and white heroes and villains, to a whole other level of depth.
The conversations between York and Zach are, for me, the highlight of the game, particularly while free driving, rather than during cutscenes. The streets of Greenvale are deserted as it is (“the people don’t like to come out when it’s raining, because of the legend of the Raincoat Killer”) so short talk usually fills the long drives (if you’re carrying a passenger, the conversations between York and them are a delight as well). Far from drama-heavy conversations York reveals his human side and more often than not is more interested in the lives of the people themselves. After all, it’s a long investigation, and he shows to have more than a one-track mind, as he freely shares and confides his love, and knowledge, of movies and music, in a style that is very reminiscent to American Psycho’s Pat Bateman album reviews before the killing passages. That these scenes don’t come more often is a pity (they don’t repeat) as they again infuse the game with literary value – the insight you’re given inside a video game character’s mind is pratically unheard of in this medium.
Even visually York comes as an appealing character. Indoors the camera perspective is very near to his back, making you feel almost like you’re (as Zach) just behind him. Curious aspects like attracting flies from wearing your clothes for too long or growing a beard reflect your actions toward the character, nearing that “perfect-avatar” ideal (Swery admitted he would have also wanted hair and flab to grow). His gait is too quite enthrancing, almost feminine but with a lot of self-confidence, hardly the static walk of most japan-based games. His signature scars complement his aura of mystery, given that we’ll progressively uncover his backstory as the story goes on - everything about York exhudes style; Access Games show that despite its shortcomings from a limited budget on a current generation game, it still managed to invest the most in the details.

The action sequences are RSP’s unfortunate remembrance that you’re, after all, just playing a video game. Despite being admittedly a late add-on, they are reasonably well made and entertaining, particularly later on as you have access to a heavy arsenal of weapons. However, put up for comparison with the stalwarths of the horror genre, it’s hard to compete. For all its faults, I do admit that it would have been hard to do otherwise (as a ludical mechanism to make the investigation progress), and it does add that necessary sense of danger that even games like Ico needed to have (even if it does feel like a delay until you uncover the visually enticing Profiles, and get on with it).

The themes are irrepressably mature. While certain aspects are admittedly low grade science fiction, the fact is that the whole of the investigation can be interpreted as a metaphor, creatively circumventing difficult themes to impose on a mass market. Thanks to its sensibility they’ve managed to deal frontally with themes like rape, conjugal infidelity and love in a surprisingly sophisticated way. In a game with such heavy emphasis on sexuality, tactfully approached in the storyline and beautifully explored thanks to graceful cutscene direction of the more critical scenes, one has to admire how competently and adequate everything feels, always coherent with the yinyang-defiant duality concept. Only The Path ever delved this deep into humanity.

Sound is part of the best and worst of the game. While the voices are often terrific, particularly the ones of the more important characters, sound effects are an obvious cut-cost. The quality of the voices helps us forget the japanese origin of the game, and almost makes us think that, much like Kojima’s works, the english dub was thought as the primer. Despite the shortcomings of the sound fx, details like fading the sound and voices away when the camera is not near York/Zach is an interesting idea that while at first seems inconsistent with its TV-style presentation, speaks higher in giving more protagonism to the player, and enhances its relation with the gameworld. The soundtrack fits the game but is never fantastic. The small number of pieces at least gives them more emphasis.

As a sort of final thoughts and due to the length of this review, maybe it would be appropriate to sum it up. There’s no doubt that the game suffers from a sub-optimal budget. This is a highly ambitious game that does manage to impress with all the details present, whether they be in the storyline, presentation or gameplay. Thus, while the game easily disappoints at first glance, over its prodigious span of over 30 hours, one is taken for a memorable ride that makes up for any of the initial frustration. The surprising part is that this seems like a design choice, rather than an inherent flaw, an intentional bypass of frivolous gamers (as so many reviewers have showed) and the eventual reward of core gamers. This is of course a forced supposition, but stabs at inconsequent games invariably lace this interesting ouevre.
The superb, patient way it presents its cast of characters, the whole development of the relationship between York and Zach, the finesse with which disturbing and mature themes are introduced in a video game, pushes this game into a place where few games have dared go to.
The sheer amount of entertaining content is staggering, as it makes use of being a free-roaming adventure, rather than being a more linear affair. Sidequests, mini-games, upgrades and item collecting will take up hours, and are always presented with that twist that sets it apart from the banality with which these gameplay artifices are explored in other video games.
The little details present in the game are comparable only to Shenmue, to the best of my recollection. These are to be enjoyed fully in hindsight, as every little obscure corner seems to have an hidden meaning, and everything gets wrapped up.
Red Seeds Profile is my game of the year. Games like these come one in a thousand, but reviews can only say so much, unlike playing it…
“Isn’t that right, Zach?”
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Oh how can I follow that, Vyse?

Beat Tomb Raider about an hour ago, just ate a pizza of it before writing this review. Look for that in the dinner topic..
Anyway, I bought it off the Store about 2 weeks ago, my heart almost exploded when I read it was coming so I bought it day one. Great memories from the game back in the PSOne days. Before Tomb Raider, and in fact PSOne, all I used to play were Sonic games. Tomb Raider wasn't my first game purchase though, I can't remember what got my attention of it in the first place actually. It was a whole new experience and whole new genre I would play for the first time, actually bought it complentary with the game guide. Good damn thing too, this game is hard!
The title speaks for itself about the general setting, Lara goes from the tombs of Peru, Greece, Egypt and eventually to the lost city of Atlantis. There's the usual traps and pitfalls abound all with key switches, hidden areas, open jungles and underwater tunnels. One thing I missed all those years back was Lara actually had a travel companion at the start but was killed at the first gate.

The levels have a good variety to be honest. Skipping her house, which is more a training level, the first cave in Peru doesn't have a lot of traps and the general enemies are bats and packs of wolves. The puzzles are easy enough to figure out, but later in the game they mostly become repetitive fetch quests. So many times I got frustrating stuck because I had no idea what to look for or how to find this next jump or door to advance through the area. Sometimes I feel like the game was similar to a maze where you aren't told what you're looking for. Some call that a challenge, but I say it's broken.

Another small peeve was the level design. The general pathetic power of the PlayStation is obviously limiting, but it's just the levels are laid out in grid-like 90 degree turns and crevices. Never mind thinking ahead of a jump, I'm wrestling trying to control Lara. Fumbly controls like holding the jump button before she does it automatically just on the edge of a platform took a lot of getting used to.

This might of been unintentional, but the camera doesn't react to corners. Neither fixed nor free, the camera basically follows Lara keeping her center screen. Turning a corner usually involves stopping and going first-person view. Well, almost, mostly zooms over her head then has a 180 degree view (think Shenmue). Given the tech it's pretty forgiveable, except when I turn a corner and a huge fucking grizzly bear charges out at me. It's not a horror game but it scared the fuck out of me!

Not very much to say about the atmosphere. Generically, places like Egypt look how you'd expect them to. What was missing was the music! Lara's grunts and footsteps fill up the game's library. Some of the most relaxing sympthanies and they barely get used at all. I'll have to dig some out for the music topic on that thought.

There's definate replayability. Where I thought I was heading towards a secret area, suddenly the camera pans off and I've finished the level. Feels a bit cheating later on in the game as you don't much of a sense of direction on the right path to take. Like I said before, maze with no finish.

You retro gamers should definately check this out if you aren't into digital. We now have the added advantage of seeing how the series reached it's peak and hit a fast decline all with such simple beginnings..

Oof.. aaaAAAHHHH!! (thud)
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Absentia » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:15 pm

Vyse Hazuky wrote:Red Seeds Profile Review

Now that's what I call a review. It's not impartial (nor is any of the reviews out there) and it doesn't try to be, and that's something I applaud. I too try to be impartial, trying to review things not through my eyes and ultimately fail completely.
Now, Vyse just turn this review thread up a notch. I would call this more of an article than just an actual review, and that's why I enjoyed reading it so much. He really got into the game and this is just like he's talking to us, explaining what was so great about it. He doesn't go on about gameplay or environment, or the technical side of things. Vyse pretty much just gave information about characters and ambiance which is probably what most of us like the most about gaming (we all must be shenmue fanboys, right?). I will now lower my head in shame for I could not have written such a review.

I never really wanted to try this game out, but I must say now I'm excited. I'm gonna try and borrow it from a friend of mine :lol:
Now I realize why Vyse is the guru!!
Absentia
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:24 pm

OL & Vyse are always the best reviewers this site has and I honestly think are better at it than any of these "profesional" reviews on IGN or Gamestop,1up and others.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Absentia » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:34 pm

We ought to make them play every game out there and then write a review, so we'd know which game to play ourselves
Absentia
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:58 pm

Vyse's review of Deadly Premonition/Red Seeds Profile has me even more hyped for the game and I don't want to be, since I don't want to be disappointed. The game is ridiculously cheap to pre-order though. It really does sound like Shenmue (similar sound of exploration, time feature implementation, characters that actually have lives, feel of the game, creating a particular atmosphere for the game, a mindset about games that encompasses what I love about gaming in the first place) + Twin Peaks + Snatcher (on the surface it's a rip off of a popular film/series but is actually quite different, really quirky, amazing investigation scenes, the main character with a shady past that you learn about as time goes by, shocking revelations/twists and the characters you actually care about) all put into a blender. Sounds like the game for me.

Give me the fucking game, now, dammit! NOW!
Is there any New Game + for DP of any kind?

I bet you really want to play Spy Fiction next, just to see what Swery's first title was like?

Good review Ryan, you going to try out the rest of the series now? It certainly has its ups and downs, just so you know.

Should we set up a review blog especially for the Dojo? It might be a more viable option than posting the reviews on here (it would make it all look better).
After all this time, reading all of these fantastically put together reviews...and I have yet to contribute a review on here myself. ](*,)
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:27 pm

Hey, I'll say it again: if anyone ever wants to design an actual website specifically for us all to submit reviews/articles, I'd gladly contribute to it (sort of like a Sega-16 kind of thing, but for anything and everything we're interested in). I'd even take my already-written reviews from here and revise them bit (as I usually leave things out on here, for fear of rambling for too long). Hell, I'd probably even write more reviews than I do already if that were the case.
Vyse has his blog, but I really don't know shite about designing sites, so I can't do it myself.

Vyse Hazuky wrote:It’s hard to believe that Red Seeds Profile (RSP) is only Hidetaka Suehiro’s second attempt at making a video game.

Actually, reading up on him a bit more now, he's had plenty of experience on games already. He worked on both Last Blade games as the writer and presumably some form of game design and tuning. After that he worked on Tombi! 2 (what he did on it, I'm not sure), then went on to work as "main planner" on Extermination for PS2 (which was practically a directorial position; he basically had control over story, character, and aesthetic content).
Only then did he move on to Spy Fiction and Deadly Premonition.
So yeah, just a bit of extra info in case you didn't know.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:32 pm

OL wrote:Hey, I'll say it again: if anyone ever wants to design an actual website specifically for us all to submit reviews/articles, I'd gladly contribute to it (sort of like a Sega-16 kind of thing, but for anything and everything we're interested in). I'd even take my already-written reviews from here and revise them bit (as I usually leave things out on here, for fear of rambling for too long). Hell, I'd probably even write more reviews than I do already if that were the case.
Vyse has his blog, but I really don't know shite about designing sites, so I can't do it myself.

It's not expensive and if your budget allows it just get Square space. It's a great place to have your own website and blog and you don't need to know shit. It's as easy as dragging with a mouse and choosing colour and not look like some retard free site.
http://www.squarespace.com/
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:44 pm

Yeah, still... I'd almost prefer it if I wasn't the sole contributor. I'd like it if it were a group of people with a similar passion for games all contributing.
Which reminds me... when are we gonna see a review from you, oh Blue One?
I know you usually just post things quickly without dwelling on them too much, but I'd actually like to see what a full-fledged review would be like from you.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:51 pm

Guess I'm on the spot. I guess I could despite my craptastic grammar.
I will then try to put one out within the next week or two. I just need to be in the right mood.
But since it's requested I will promise to put one out.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming