Review The Last Game You Beat

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Postby Thief » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:45 am

I've been a bit stressed out lately, so I played Sonic Adventure DX. Controls are not that great but it's pretty fun with the exception of Amy's story (which just was completely frustrating to control). I'm actually weird I guess and like fishing with Big the Cat.

Started up Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and beat Hero Story in one sitting. Holy crap is this game so much better than the first one. This one controls well, removes the less-fun levels from the first game, presentation is way better, has decent challenge and bosses that aren't a complete joke, and I still can't help singing along to "City Escape".... Anyway, really good game that holds up much much much better than the first one. Dark Story is next and then I'll probably play Sonic Heroes.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Nier: Automata - Game follows through on being a game that does its own thing whilst also paying homage in some subtle ways to the original (which is one of my favourite games of all time). The music, combat, boss battles, characters and end game were all fantastic. Can't really talk about this game much since it's better off going into it fresh. Overall though, not on the same level as the original for me but an excellent game regardless.

Yakuza 0 - This is now not only my favourite Yakuza, but my favourite game this generation. I cannot understate just how brilliant this game is. The music, story, characters, last stretch and boss battles are all the best in the series yet. I can't really find any fault with the game and it's honestly crept into my Top 10 games of all time. I will look back on this game extremely well over the years. It's a classic. The ending is the best in the series too, everything is so succinct and so well nuanced. I simply cannot believe this is from the same director as Dead Souls/Of The End (AKA the weakest Yakuza game).

The side missions are the best in the series yet too. I wanted to do them all. The writing is incredibly funny and hats off to the localization team (Atlus USA) for doing such a stellar job. It's the first Yakuza in a long time that I played all the way through non-stop without getting burned out. The story is never not engaging or impactful. Every scene matters.

The Lieutenants are the most bad ass villains in the series since, well, ever (and yes, I am including Yakuza 2's Ryuji Goda). Their musical themes are the thing of legends. I have been a fan of the series since the original on the PS2 back in the day and this is my new favourite, even the sheer nostalgia of Yakuza 2 couldn't stave this game off. If anybody on here is sleeping on this game, don't. Play it. NOW. Best game of the generation and one of the best prequels ever made right next to Metal Gear Solid 3.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Your Boy Leroy
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:42 pm

So I bought that "Nathan Drake Collection" which is a remasters collection of Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 for the PS4. I just beat Uncharted 1: Drake's Fortune on there. Being a complete newcomer to the series I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but since a lot of my friends had played one or more entries of the franchise and all of them said it was a great series, I figured I might as well try it out because the "Nathan Drake Collection" was on sale anyway.

So let's get started with Uncharted 1 then. Oh, and skip the story part of this review if you actually care about "spoilers" on a ten year old game which doesn't have much of a story anyway. :lol:

First off, the PS4 port was executed absolutely flawlessly by Bluepoint games. That's how you do a remaster! Really great stuff.

Graphics: This is a remaster of a game from 2007, so it cannot be up to date graphics-wise. Still I have to say, character models look ok, some of the environments still look beautiful even. I think it looks good, still it couldn't and shouldn't compare to actual PS 4 . No score given.

Gameplay: Nothing really stands out about the gameplay but everything runs and controls just fine. It's a well-rouinded product. The firearm combat is really fun and it's got just the right amount of challenge to keep you motivated. I just love shooting my way through those bad guys, looking for cover, throwing grenades. It's great. Hand-to-hand combat is kind of lackluster though. The platforming part is great too. Sure, nothing the PS2 era Prince of Persia games hadn't done before, and done better, in part at least. But still, it's so fun to find your way across ledges, cliffs and roofs. It's great. The riddles were nothing special but they were ok, I guess. The only criticism I have is that there are too many enemies around. It gets annoying to have hordes of pirates come at you around every corner. They sometimes should have given more room to the platforming and exploring part. The jet ski part kind of sucks, too.
Score: 8/10

Sound: Sound-wise this game is fantastic. It doesn't have a lot of BGM but when it does feature BGM, it's really awesome. It has a really great Indiana Jones style orchestral score. Sound effects are spot-on too. The Bereta firmly resonates in your ears, the MP 40 sings its song, the AK-47 brings its typical fierce cough to your living room. Great sound effects.
Score: 9/10

Story: Put short, the story is so dumb it makes every 80s/90s Van Damme movie look like a philosophical masterpiece.
So the Spaniards went to Panama in the 16th century and discovered the legendary treasure El Dorado which they tried to steal from the locals but it is cursed and therefor turned them into zombies. Francis Drake found out about this and wanted to prevent the Spaniards from taking El Dorado back to Europe but he died on the Panaman island in the process. Then the German navy landed in Panama and found El Dorado during World War 2 but the 16th century zombies were still there and they killed all the soldiers. But not before they had finished building a huge submarine base first. Another 60 years later, Drake's great-great-great-great-great-or whatever-grandson Nathan shows up. Yeah, right.

Score: 3/10. The story is stupid but then again, it doesn't really matter with a game like this.

Final score Characters are kind of bland and generic, the story is weak, nothing about the gameplay really stands out but damn, this game was fun. It was good entertainment. I had a good time playing it.
Final Score: 7.5/10

I would have given it an 8/10 if it wasn't for too many enemies and the jet ski. Still, thanks to Naughty Dog for this fun game. I'm looking forward to playing part 2 when I get around to it at some point.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Axm
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr. Frozen » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:29 am

So... My summer Car. You cannot really "finish" the game, but I have been playing the game enough to be able to write a brief review, I think.

I brought the game on a whim a few weeks ago, after binge watching Robbaz's videos of the game, and I unexpectedly fell in love with the game pretty quickly. This game is basically an ultra detailed life simulator game where you build a car. You play as an 18 year guy in 1995, whose parents are away from home during the summer and apparently they task you to "fix" your uncle's car. The car is literally a big pile of parts, and you have to put everything together, starting from the engine block. The game requires you to tighten every nut and bolt (you also have to choose the right wrench for the screws), and tune the car properly so it can run. If you do not follow a guide, this makes the game extremely difficult, but ultra rewarding when you get the car running for the first time. I spent an entire real world night putting the car together, like I started before the sun went down and when I finished the sun was up for a few hours. I'm sure I was playing for about 12 hours, but the time went by so fast. The car even wasn't completely finished (I didn't put on the doors, exhaust, dash, and other misc parts that wasn't needed for the car to start), but I did get the car running, which was SO satisfying. After you get the car running, you can drive it around to test it out, or bring it straight to the shop so you can get some guy to inspect your car, and if you pass, you get your license plates. If you drive you car around without license plates, the cops will chase you down if you see them, but they are not too hard to avoid in the game. I didn't even get my car inspected until I accidentally came across the shop for the first time.

You can also do various jobs to get money for upgrades and repairs for your car. Your main job is to drain septic tanks, and the process is as detailed as you expect it to be in a game like this. You have to get the hose out, attach it to your truck, dump it in the tank, and turn on the hydraulic pump. There are also other ways to earn money, such as picking people up from the bar, brewing booze, and delivering lumber. The atmosphere of the game is pretty great, and you can tell the game is a real labor of love. Oh yea, the game is also permadeath by default so if you get in a bad accident, or someone runs you over, your save gets deleted and you have to start all over again.

The negatives I have to say about the game is that it is basically impossible to play unless you have a steering wheel controller. You spend the majority of your time in game on crappy dirt roads that cause your car to veer in crazy directions if you go slightly off-road, and usually gets stuck or flips over. This is mostly because that the dirt roads have a sharp drop-off, and the terrain is very low poly. Going off road wouldn't be so dangerous if they doubled the polygons of the terrain and made things smoother. Also you live ultra far from town, so expect at least a 15-25min real life drive to town to buy anything, or pick up junk you order in mail. You can take a more direct route to town using the boat to travel through the lake, though. You also cannot save unless you are near a toilet so if you are in the middle of nowhere (like 75% of the map), you are going to have to travel pretty far just to save and quit.

Overall I think I would give the game a 7/10. It is an ultra satisfying game, but I don't think I'll continue playing the game after I die. If the terrain wasn't so terrible, I would probably give it a 9/10.

Mr. Frozen has received 2 thanks from: Bambi, Mr357
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:44 am

Some quick love for the obscure.

I would say it's not quite as good as the first, or at least it didn't hit me quite as hard. The gameplay is still just as wonderfully old-school stealthy as the first, but with a few new bells and whistles. A few of those bells I didn't even use (such as the throwable clone egg) and some of those whistles should always have been there regardless, so they're nothing groundbreaking (being able to shimmy around corners). But, at the very least, it can be said that the gameplay is definitely improved. Unfortunately, I didn't find the level design to be quite as great as in the first, despite the added variety. With the exception of maybe two or three stages, they just don't feel as vertical and sprawling as before.
Likewise, while the story for the first game felt strangely epic and featured some really surprising twists, the story here is much less interesting, and seems to favor fourth-wall-breaking humor over actual fantasy world-building. And that stuff is fun, sure (I like how much of a disagreeable little shit Styx is), but having loved the first game, and having played quite a few hours in Of Orcs and Men now, I'm actually really enjoying the medieval fantasy world they've created, and I'd rather see it genuinely expanded upon (as it was in Styx 1) rather than just half-assed as an excuse for sneaking around.
Didn't mean to get negative there.
I really enjoyed the game a lot, absolutely. I just think the first was better, despite having the "lesser" gameplay.
Whatever the case, Shards of Darkness seems to have been received pretty well by reviewers and whatnot, so I have a suspicion we'll be seeing a third game. Perfect opportunity to work out these kinks.

I absolutely loved htoL#NiQ, director/character designer Masayuki Furuya's previous game, so I was pretty excited to see this get a release as well. A bit of a spiritual sister, so to speak, to htol#NiQ.
An atmospheric, visually-interesting sidescrolling puzzle game where a little girl has to be guided and protected throughout a slew of dangerous environments.
The idea is the same, but the implementation is a bit different. While htol#NiQ had you guiding the girl indirectly by moving around a firefly for her to follow, A Rose in the Twilight thankfully allows you to control the girl directly. At the press of a button you can also switch control over to her large, golem-esque bodyguard/sidekick. The girl can manipulate color in the environment (which either starts or stops time for whatever it's used on) while the golem/giant can pick things up and throw them (or throw the girl, if necessary). It's generally pretty basic, but it's just so charming and atmospheric that it really feels like something special regardless. Furuya seems to have this elegantly-unique visual sense that really appeals to me personally, what with his dark fairytale leanings and all. In my own personal writings, I tend to deal with similar subject matter, so sometimes it feels like he's making these games just for me. :lol:
Either way, I do have to say that the story for htol#NiQ definitely felt a bit more artistic and impactful. Rose is a bit more straightforward and less-surreal. Not a flaw obviously (they're two separate experiences, so I can't expect them to be conveyed exactly the same), I just prefer the story of htol#NiQ a tiny bit more.
Whatever the case, I'm definitely a huge fan of Masakuyi Furuya now. He's shown himself to be a unique presence in videogames, and I look forward to whatever he cooks up next. Hopefully with a slightly bigger budget.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Mon May 08, 2017 7:21 am

Mass Effect Andromeda

So many awesome titles released within this year alone and I for some reason decided to burn 100+ hours on this "universally" panned game. Something about this Mass Effect game really piqued my interest because now you are no longer a military commander recruiting people for a greater war, but simply the Christopher Columbus of space. So I gave the game a chance, and you know what, definitely no regrets here.

Usually action RPGs are mixed bags. While the RPG elements in these games are solid, the action part is always lacking, with usually stiff combat controls and shallow mechanics. But not with ME Andromeda, as the Bioware team really built a solid action core game here. Have you ever wished your ME character was more like Kasumi Goto doing ninja shit than a stiff protagonist gunning and running from cover to cover most of the time? Well, now you can. Most of the game critics out there will say the combat is more fluid now mainly because of the new jump and evade/dash buttons, but they fail to tell you the most intricate aspects of the combat system. While most games of this genre like The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition have an array of skills to pick from when leveling up, these games only allow the player to have a very limited of number of them to be carried over during a battle, making you focus on strengthening the skills you already possess or discard an old power for an higher tier one. But in Andromeda you can carry up to 12 unique abilities (which can be changed and they can be chained in elemental combos for extra damage) in 4 unique customizable combat setups to be switched on the fly in battle, with your character being simply ready for whatever battle scenario the game will throw at you. So there is a lot of incentive in leveling up to obtain more skills to mix and match with your desirable setup. You can play your game like the typical run and gun third person shooter or you could make you avatar cloak while dashing and even going through walls to sneak up close to an enemy and slash him with your Asari sword like a space ninja. I played my game mainly as something resembling a biotic martial arts master (always up and close in combat, not a mage), without resorting to shoot a single bullet even while facing a swarm of armed enemies with machine guns, and even battling creatures that dwarf anything seen in Horizon Zero Dawn in size, on Insanity difficulty! That's how much choice and flexibility you can have with this game.

And because of the jumping mechanic, battles have even more depth than ever because of the added verticality as your character can even hover with his jetpack and snipe enemies when they have the higher ground, or you could jump and slam a melee attack on an enemy a couple of stairs below your position. Better yet, a lot of the battles carry a certain sense of urgency as while you are gunning down baddies and finding cover, your suit protection is depleting because of radiation or extreme weather conditions and you need to find a safe zone before it starts eating your HP away to the point of death, or as you drag the battle on enemy reinforcements start to rain on you. Simply one of the highlights of the game for me! No, actually even better so, jumping and dashing is carried over to the exploration aspect of the game making it a 3D platformer adventure a la Uncharted at times with the likes of puzzles, grabbing onto and climbing from one ledge to another to traverse terrain and everything. I was even surprised when I learned male Ryder was not voiced by Nolan North as they sound similar to me.

Now on the RPG aspect of Andromeda, thank god they got rid of the Paragon and Renegade point system of the previous entries. Being locked out of potential narrative outcomes simply for not sticking to one side of a point system is not really what I look for in roleplaying. In Andromeda there's no point system for you to keep track of, and you will not be punished if you do not stick to being either a total boyscout or an asshole 100% of the time. It's all about tone and intention of your words here. Wanna the conversation head to a professional level and be as diplomatic as possible? That's the lower right side of the wheel. Wanna sound sympathetic and caring, but impulsive? That's the upper left side option, and so on. Your responses will lead you to define your avatar's personality and how people feel towards you, and it differs from the other key changing decisions that may affect the narrative route. So it means that you do not have to sacrifice your own personal decisions in order for the game to play out the "correct" narrative route you are aiming for.

On the bad side, this game is freaking bugged and glitched, main campaign and multiplayer alike. Not Bethesda levels yet, but getting there. The most infuriating ones for me is a bug that prevents me to have a 100% completion rate and another affects one of my abilities during combat. I concede at least that Bioware fixed a lot of the much criticized stiff animations (none of those infamous memes apply to the game anymore), and they are still working on even more patches to iron out the remaining issues. Also, Bioware continues to bring the most boring thing in a Mass Effect game: the mining mini game, though this time it's less intrusive than ever thanks to the many alternative ways of acquiring the same materials. Aside from those, for a game as massive in content as this one there is a lot of reuse of the same assets with little variation in them for many of the missions while some other unique locations are only used in like 10 minutes of gameplay and never seen again. What's up with that? My main problem is with the enemy types. I really wished they could squeeze a few more unique abilities for the enemies and some different bosses. You really start to feel repetition here and there after a while and the challenge starts to wane. I seriously advise anyone who wants to try this game out to play it on insanity only. That's the only way you will make most of the combat and enjoy the new skill system.

I've been fan of the series since the first game, but the games themselves were never truly remarkable in my eyes. But here now I really see glimpses of brilliance, like how during your journey if you do give a damn about your protagonist's family it will show during the game's narrative, prompting the player to deal with it (there are so many little variations to the cuisine in question). Or how the beefy parts of the main story and the details of the overall narrative (and its twists and turns) only shows up in completing the side missions rather the main ones. By fulfilling your roleplaying job to 100% completion you even get a new narrative bit and an actual acknowledgement of what was accomplished (that doesn't consist of a metagame trophy). There's simply a lot to like about this game so people might laugh at me, but ME Andromeda is really the best one yet in the entire series despite the obvious shortcomings.

My score: 4/5 Recommended

Sorry for my long ass review!
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed May 10, 2017 8:49 am

Batman: Arkham Knight

So despite the relatively absurd length of time from release to me buying it, I actually managed to avoid spoilers, and this is the one time I can definitely say thank fucking christ for that!

Game play wise it's the same old same old, which is a good thing. The "too many Batmobile segments" complaints definitely carry some weight though, which is a shame, coz I fucking love what they did with it.

The Riddler collectibles were something I actually enjoyed in Asylum and City, but they went too far with it this time round. It felt more like a chore than a fun little game inside a game.

I was slightly annoyed by certain gameplay elements being confined to specific side-stories that refused to deviate from a set path. Predator sections set in banks for Two-Face, vehicle tracking and free flow combat for Penguin etc. And what the Man-Bat and Firefly sections were doing in there I haven't a fucking clue. They seemed even more tacked on than Origins' multiplayer.

It really felt like everyone at Rocksteady were allowed to oversee something that they wanted to put into the game and it just would've been an absolute mess if it weren't for little touches like Nightwing's guest appearances or the GCPD lockup. Personally I woulda preferred all the side missions (aside from the "take down the Arkham Knight's militia ones) came before the main storyline, coz I gotta say, I really enjoyed it.

The story is possibly the best of the series thanks to two things: the fact we know it's the end so anything can happen, and the Joker. Now I know the vast majority wanted him left alone, but this will go down as my favourite Joker performance of all time. Usually when a writer or actor handles him they have to go through the motions. He's one of the easiest characters to write for a one-off. But what about when he's doing absolutely nothing and is a constant throughout the story? It was so brilliantly and expertly handled that I'd recommend this game to absolutely anyone for that alone. Hats off.

I thought the ending was a bit shit and too typical (including Knightfall protocol and the epilogue), the Jason Todd revelation was fairly obvious immediately after you hear AK's voice, and the boss battles were some of the weakest in the series (so many missed opportunities...) but overall I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

The DLC's pretty wank though. It's like they put in zero effort. And it's pretty lazy having different Batmobile models but none of em having Battle Mode integration.

It's far from the best in the series (whilst City had the biggest wow factor, I'd argue Origins is by far the best of the lot) and it feels like a lazy attempt. The main story is fucking immense I reckon, but all the bells and whistles... it was like they had excellent ideas but no clue how to properly implement them. It's always gonna be difficult writing a "final Batman story" though, and I suppose it's a commendable effort.

The best way to describe this game is it won't disappoint when you're playing it, but will do upon reflection.

Hopefully WB Montreal will step up to the plate and start making non-Arkham-centric Batman games whilst keeping within the universe.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Mr. Frozen » Wed May 17, 2017 2:31 am

sand4fish wrote:

I wouldn't score ME:A that high, it is an ok game but that is it. It starts strong, but it gets repetitive really quickly. You mention the omission of paragon and renegade being a good thing, but I that actually prevented me from enjoying the conversations in the game as much as previous games. The dialog options are like fallout 4, where every option is just a variation of the same boring answer. Once you figure this out, you stop caring about what you choose, which leads to a boring experience. It is a decent mass effect game, but I can really understand why many people gave the game poor to average reviews. Personally, I enjoyed the gameplay in ME:A, but I seriously did not give a shit about anything relating to the story or the characters towards the end of the game. I personally liked the game overall, but if I am to be objective I would have to give it a 3/5.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Wed May 17, 2017 12:09 pm

Mr. Frozen wrote:
sand4fish wrote:

I wouldn't score ME:A that high, it is an ok game but that is it. It starts strong, but it gets repetitive really quickly. You mention the omission of paragon and renegade being a good thing, but I that actually prevented me from enjoying the conversations in the game as much as previous games. The dialog options are like fallout 4, where every option is just a variation of the same boring answer. Once you figure this out, you stop caring about what you choose, which leads to a boring experience. It is a decent mass effect game, but I can really understand why many people gave the game poor to average reviews. Personally, I enjoyed the gameplay in ME:A, but I seriously did not give a shit about anything relating to the story or the characters towards the end of the game. I personally liked the game overall, but if I am to be objective I would have to give it a 3/5.

Repetition is always bound to set in on these massive free roaming games, specially when people play them on cruise control mode (anything lower than hard difficulty). About the conversation system, to me it's all about the illusion of making a difference. No developer will dump a lot of money on resources most players will not see. Yes, a vast amount of the choices play little variations of a common outcome at first (aside from some of the bigger moments) but they carry forward to a point you will be even locked out from some additional quests or outcomes. So they matter.

Stories in videogames are just whatever to me, as I don't even recall much from the past games, so to me as long as they make sense and are tied neatly with the mechanics they all golden. If a game with decision making as their mechanic acknowledges what you did and give you a follow up in the end, it's all I can ask for the series. And Andromeda does that, with a proper epilogue for the player to see the fruits of his labor.

Anyway, the score I gave is fair in contrast to what I wrote so I'll stick to it. Though I try to be as objective as possible, in the end it's only my take on the game so I'm cool with you disagreing with it.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Amihama0468 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:05 pm

Dishonored: Definitive Edition (Playstation 4)

I first played this game on PC during a Steam free weekend a few years ago. Remember finding it interesting at the time but didn't buy it. Had thought about buying it the last couple of times it was on sale on the Playstation Store, before finally buying it in the most recent sale.

I absolutely love Dishonored. From the moment I started playing it, I didn't play another game until I had finished the main story plus the two story DLC (Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches) 2-3 weeks later. I finished the game last Sunday, and have had a bit of a lull playing games since.

I found the game to be just pure fun. There's so many different weapons and powers you can use to eliminate enemies. Different approaches you can take to get to the objectives. Different side missions you can undertake or ignore. You can play the game however you want. The maps are made to be explored, and I love the steampunk art style.

Depending on enemy casualties and player actions the World State changes between low chaos, medium chaos and high chaos
Each World State changes the story and environment. In addition the quantity and strength of enemies varies, plus how NPC's interact with the protagonist. This increased my immersion and made me feel like I was part of a living, breathing World.

The story DLC is excellent. You play as the main antagonist and follow events from his perspective during the game. He had some different powers and different gameplay elements from the base game. The Brigmore Witches in particular expanded upon the story and is definitely worthwhile playing through.

There's only a couple of criticisms that I would make. One of the plot points I guessed right at the beginning, without previous spoilers. This is despite me not normally noticing plot points in advance. Maybe I'm finally starting to recognise storytelling cliches.

Lastly, I found one of the missions near the end of the game to be a frustrating grind. It is a swamp level that seems to have a frustrating number of enemies and seems to progress at a crawl. It was the only mission in the game that I didn't enjoy.

Overall rating: 9/10
Amihama0468
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Jesse » Sat May 27, 2017 4:14 pm

I beat p5 and these are my thoughts about it. The major critiques I have with it are the dungeons specifically the bank vault, spaceport, pyramid, & mice maze rooms on the cruise ship were added I felt to pad the overall runtime. The mice mazes were infuriating cause they kept dragging on and on.

Also I felt like in p4g I had alot more days overall to do whatever I wish. Having to skip almost the entirety of January was a bummer to me.

I would give p5 a score of 4 out of 5 but Golden is still my favorite and it's not even close. I have beaten Golden probably 6 or so times.

Today is the first day I've thought about P5 since I beat it on April 24th. Still those dungeons I feel like were a chore and the music nor characters (aside from Ann & Makoto) didn't stick with me as much as P4G. Maybe that is nostalgia talking cause golden was my first in the series? Though I personally feel it's not.

Overall P5 is a great experience and I'll go back to it in a year or so.
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby shredingskin » Sat May 27, 2017 6:44 pm

Just finished playing late shift, I'm a sucker for FMV games, and this is a pretty good one (that's a little lacking on the interactive department, nothing more than some timed choices). But the ammount of choices, acting and good photography/writing makes it very enjoyable.

The price may be a little steep, but it's worth it (maybe on some sale).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Kintor » Sun May 28, 2017 12:34 am

Jesse wrote: I beat p5 and these are my thoughts about it. The major critiques I have with it are the dungeons specifically the bank vault, spaceport, pyramid, & mice maze rooms on the cruise ship were added I felt to pad the overall runtime. The mice mazes were infuriating cause they kept dragging on and on.

Also I felt like in p4g I had alot more days overall to do whatever I wish. Having to skip almost the entirety of January was a bummer to me.

I would give p5 a score of 4 out of 5 but Golden is still my favorite and it's not even close. I have beaten Golden probably 6 or so times.

Today is the first day I've thought about P5 since I beat it on April 24th. Still those dungeons I feel like were a chore and the music nor characters (aside from Ann & Makoto) didn't stick with me as much as P4G. Maybe that is nostalgia talking cause golden was my first in the series? Though I personally feel it's not.

I've just finished Persona 5 a couple of days ago; would’ve been done sooner but I spent a couple of weeks beating Dawn of War III in the middle of everything. This was my first Persona game and I'm absolutely amazed at the whole experience. I even imported a copy of the OST CDs from Japan, so that I could listen to Persona 5's music wherever I go.

I can't say that I had any problems with the dungeons. Although, I've played a lot of MMORPGs in my time, so I probably have a higher tolerance when it comes to grinding and the busy work needed to progress through a dungeon. At least Persona 5 doesn't make you replay a dungeon again multiple times, with random people you've never met before, for the slim chance of acquiring a specific bit of loot you want.

Overall, I really loved the story of Persona 5. The themes it talked about and the twists at the end about the true enemy, really struck a chord with me. Plus the whole presentation, the music and UI flourishes, easily makes Persona 5 one of the most stylish games ever made. Even after beating the game I'm still thinking about Persona 5 and what an amazing experience the whole thing was. I now regard Persona 5 as one of my favourite games of all time and I think Persona 5 will be remembered as one of the greatest JRPGs ever made.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Sun May 28, 2017 1:23 am

Henry Spencer wrote: Nier: Automata - Game follows through on being a game that does its own thing whilst also paying homage in some subtle ways to the original (which is one of my favourite games of all time). The music, combat, boss battles, characters and end game were all fantastic. Can't really talk about this game much since it's better off going into it fresh. Overall though, not on the same level as the original for me but an excellent game regardless.

Yakuza 0 - This is now not only my favourite Yakuza, but my favourite game this generation. I cannot understate just how brilliant this game is. The music, story, characters, last stretch and boss battles are all the best in the series yet. I can't really find any fault with the game and it's honestly crept into my Top 10 games of all time. I will look back on this game extremely well over the years. It's a classic. The ending is the best in the series too, everything is so succinct and so well nuanced. I simply cannot believe this is from the same director as Dead Souls/Of The End (AKA the weakest Yakuza game).

The side missions are the best in the series yet too. I wanted to do them all. The writing is incredibly funny and hats off to the localization team (Atlus USA) for doing such a stellar job. It's the first Yakuza in a long time that I played all the way through non-stop without getting burned out. The story is never not engaging or impactful. Every scene matters.

The Lieutenants are the most bad ass villains in the series since, well, ever (and yes, I am including Yakuza 2's Ryuji Goda). Their musical themes are the thing of legends. I have been a fan of the series since the original on the PS2 back in the day and this is my new favourite, even the sheer nostalgia of Yakuza 2 couldn't stave this game off. If anybody on here is sleeping on this game, don't. Play it. NOW. Best game of the generation and one of the best prequels ever made right next to Metal Gear Solid 3.

I agree with these choices! My top 2 games this year!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Jesse » Sun May 28, 2017 3:36 am

Kintor wrote:
Jesse wrote: I beat p5 and these are my thoughts about it. The major critiques I have with it are the dungeons specifically the bank vault, spaceport, pyramid, & mice maze rooms on the cruise ship were added I felt to pad the overall runtime. The mice mazes were infuriating cause they kept dragging on and on.

I've just finished Persona 5 a couple of days ago; would’ve been done sooner but I spent a couple of weeks beating Dawn of War III in the middle of everything. This was my first Persona game and I'm absolutely amazed at the whole experience. I even imported a copy of the OST CDs from Japan, so that I could listen to Persona 5's music wherever I go.

I can't say that I had any problems with the dungeons. Although, I've played a lot of MMORPGs in my time, so I probably have a higher tolerance when it comes to grinding and the busy work needed to progress through a dungeon. At least Persona 5 doesn't make you replay a dungeon again multiple times, with random people you've never met before, for the slim chance of acquiring a specific bit of loot you want.

Overall, I really loved the story of Persona 5. The themes it talked about and the twists at the end about the true enemy, really struck a chord with me. Plus the whole presentation, the music and UI flourishes, easily makes Persona 5 one of the most stylish games ever made. Even after beating the game I'm still thinking about Persona 5 and what an amazing experience the whole thing was. I now regard Persona 5 as one of my favourite games of all time and I think Persona 5 will be remembered as one of the greatest JRPGs ever made.

Re-reading my post I probably came off more negative than I meant too. I never liked the dungeons in the games if there was a way to skip it and just do the story bits and days off I would lol. Granted I'm not huge on rpgs in general they have to grab me. I dig the genesis phantasy stars and have actually beat final fantasy x, x-2, persona 3, Golden, 5, & phantasy star II.

The style is something that can't be denied and I absoulety adored about it. Also i guessed who and what the true enemy's job was pretty early on. Ann was my absolute favorite and when the trailers dropped I initially thought she would be the worst. 2nd would be Makoto and 3rd morgana. Indeed Atlus set the bar for what all other jrpgs will be judged by for years to come.
Jesse

PSN: Jrockstr

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming