Review The Last Game You Beat

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Postby OL » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Mad Max.
I'm very... split on whether I really like this game or not.
It's a weird situation. The gameplay is really good. The driving combat is even better than I thought it would be (though the opportunities for great chases are a little too limited), and the on-foot beat-em-up stuff is probably the best copy of the Arkham series' combat that I've seen (though, to be clear, nothing comes close the the Arkham games themselves). It's a little too easy overall, but it's fun nonetheless.
But there are so many odd problems. Not necessarily technical ones, but rather odd choices in the game's overall design. Exploration, for example, should have been a balls-out blast. Exploring a post-apocalyptic wasteland inspired by the Mad Max franchise should have been ridiculously cool. And in some ways it absolutely is. The developers went out of their way to create seemingly hundreds of small, unique hidden locations for you to raid for supplies and whatnot, and that shit is great. Some of them are really effectively hidden within half-buried shipping containers which lead into underground caverns and stuff. Really cool stuff. But their worth is hurt by two things: the fact that you never actually have to find them (they just show up on your map as you drive near them, which kind of throws the concept of legitimate "discovery" out the window), and the fact that they never serve any purpose other than to give you some small amount of "scrap," the game's form of currency. It would have been nice if upgrading your car actually required specific parts in order to do specific things, and if you had to scavenge through these hidden areas to find them. But instead, the game simply operates on this nebulous concept of "scrap" for all upgrades, which makes visiting these locations feel completely pointless. Nay, it makes the very effort the developers went to to create these locations seem pointless. Why go to the trouble of creating so many unique, meticulously-detailed hidden areas throughout the wasteland if the only purpose they serve is to give you a measly amount of 11 or 12 scrap? Eventually it all seems so incredibly stupid to even bother with these anymore, and you stop altogether.
Likewise, leveling up is an incredibly lopsided affair. A few hours into the game, and I'd pretty much completed every activity available to me in the first region of the game, which equates to about 1/4 of the overall size of the game's map. Nothing wrong with that, except that doing so had granted me with so much scrap and whatnot that Max himself was almost leveled-up as far as he could go, and the car was already extremely overpowered from all the upgrades I'd given it. Sure, there were a few things missing because they required further progression in the story to get, but I was already almost fully powered-up. And for that to be the case at just 1/4 of the way through the game? Absolutely silly.

I guess there are some other nitpicks I could go on about, but I'll leave it at that.
A lot of good ideas, a lot of potential, but so much of it squandered, presumably in the name of making it more "accessible." And the ending to the game's story is pretty unsatisfying, showing that Max himself is a really shitty person. I understand him being the apprehensive hero (that's always been the case in the movies), but for him to do what he does at the end of this, I just don't like him at all. Far cry from what he should be.

EDIT: I do have to say though, it's fantastic that the game has a screenshot capture feature. Click both thumbsticks at once and it enters a mode where everything pauses and you can move the camera around to get a good screenshot angle. It's not the first game to do this (The Last of Us on PS4 had it as well, and I'm sure there are others), but it's always a nice feature to have. Just a little bit of extra fun to be had, trying to create something that looks good.
EVERY PS4 GAME SHOULD HAVE THIS FEATURE.
Some of my shots:

OL has received a thanks from: Monkei
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby BlueMue » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:39 pm

Bioshock

Picked up the Bioshock Collection for Xbox One this friday and blasted through the first game.
While it's neither a remake nor even a real remaster it's still greatly improved over the release for the last console generation. It's running in 1080p60 without any hiccups and plays better than ever. It has the added duel rooms from the PS3 version aswell as the concept art museum and some new interviews with two of the devs.

It's hard to believe that the game is almost 10 years old. It's still a real masterpiece! The graphics, the design, the audio, the atmosphere... Everything is just top notch. And it's just so much fun to play.

I'm anxious to play the second game now as I have next to no memories about that one. I don't know why as I remembered pretty much everything about the first game. But then again I had 3 playthroughs from scratch in that one.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BlueMue » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:13 pm

Bioshock 2

Just as mentioned above, I continued the series from the collection.
It was a lot more fresh feeling experience, as I forgot so much of the game. Still have the two DLCs ahead of me but after playing through it twice I can say that it doesn't quite live up to the first game.

It has some definitive improvements in gameplay and does more with the ever present water, as some areas get flooded and there are some connecting pathways on the bottom of the ocean. It also has all new parts of Rapture all around but I think this is also a downside as it would've been nice to traverse some of the old areas, to see how everthing in the city is connected. They'd also look much worse after 8 years.

The real issue with this sequel is that it doesn't quite flow the same, doesn't have the right feel at times. Going on that train and being stopped for silly reasons on all the stations on the way to the final destination is just a cheaply constructed chain of events. It also makes the game super linear as there is no way to go back to previous areas. The game also focuses too much on combat for my taste. Compared to the first game you're just swarmed by enemies and it can get annoying at times. Still, a well enough executed sequel and a good game all around.

Things are going to get really interesting when I finished the DLCs and move on to the final entry in the series.
I have never played Infinite before and no next to nothing about it.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BlueMue » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:49 pm

Bioshock Infinite

Aaand to complete the collection, the third entry in a row. This one took longer as I has no knowledge of the game prior to starting it and I spliced some other stuff inbetween for little breaks.

The setting of this games was definately unique. It's really the absolute opposite of Rapture. Not just because the city is in the air but because everything is or at least seems so much happier, in good shape and it's very religious and actually pretty damn racist. The whole thing is really gorgeous to look at in places and the overall design is brilliant.
Gameplay has been refined once more, the controls are more responsive and the action can be really stressful at times.

I found the story to be rather confusing, I honestly have to say I didn't understand what they were going for with the ending. The whole thing also felt less grounded (no pun intended). Bioshock managed to explain the whole deal how the underwater city came into existance much better and thus made it all the more believable. In Infinite it seems everything is just magic, even though it is explained. Things could've been even more mechanic and also steam powered in my opinion.

They definately went the extra mile to make Elizabeth as helpful as a female companion can be in a game. A welcome contrast to the typical damsel in distress situation. However I think they forced it too much because things like lockpicking really could've been done by Booker himself.

The Rapture DLCs were of course great. Seeing the city still in glorious shape in the first episode was amazing and the second episode really tried some interesting new things, especially playing it in 1998 mode and it gave more insight to the story of Rapture and also made some connections to Columbia, necessary or not.
The Clash in the Clouds DLC was... meh. Just kill wave after wave. There was some fun to be had but getting all the blue ribbons was truly a test of patience and skill and just made the whole thing much more of a chore.

Overall I have to say that I expected more from this game. It was in no way a bad experience but it felt a bit lacking overall. I definately prefer the Rapture games over this one and the original simply can't be beaten.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Monkei
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:19 pm

Uncharted 4: A thief's End

Right off the bat we can all agree that this game is stunning visually. On the game mechanics, this is the most polished Uncharted. Aside from what Nathan could do before, he now can make better use of the environment for stealth attacks, mainly in the form of being able to hide himself in tall foliage; and the introduction of the grappling hook, which allows for wild and amusing attacks and improvised emergency escape routes. Gone this time it's the invincibility meele dodge button from the previous instalments, which it's a good thing.
That being said, this is the same old Uncharted game we all played before. No matter how pretty or big it looks, there's very little interaction to do with its world. We just take in its beauty for a minute and move on to the next gunfight or rock climbing scripted scenario. This all wouldn't be so bad if the game upped its challenge with each coming scenario, but that didn't happen. The parkour challenges are linear (no substantial alternative routes) and Nathan fights the same goons throughout the entire campaign. My major problem with this series is that despite the amazing stuff Nathan can do, no antagonist comes close to match him in skill set. It's like you are Spider-Man and everyone else is just your regular Joe in this world. I thought for a moment that the game would give Nathan his match with the character Nadine, but I was wrong. To be honest I was only able to finish the game in sporadic play sessions because the action sets had that sameness feeling to them that it was really tiring to play the game for long stretches of time.
On the positive side, there were bits of brilliance to be had by being able to explore the game world a tiny bit better with the Jeep and by boat, even though those moments were brief and far between. And staple to the series, some of the scripted sequences were truly memorable like the chase with the armoured truck and the hopping between enemy vehicles to save Sam. All in all, I truly believe Uncharted 4 to be the best in the franchise.

My final score: 3/5

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Monkei
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby sand4fish » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:15 am

Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition

I can't believe I didn't play this or heard of it when it initially came out. I touched Dead Island for a little bit and didn't like it back then so I was not expecting much of a game done by the same developers. To my surprise, Dying light takes the best of what Dead Island, Far Cry and Mirror's Edge offered and combines them all into one outstanding package. And this game is no mere imitation of elements seen in the aforementioned titles, but an evolution of a first person shooter.

Starting off with its engine, your avatar moves so swiftly (with really tight controls) to the point that makes you question whether the next Assassin's Creed or Arkham game should have a first person perspective instead. I sure don't know many FPS games that allow your avatar to drop kick enemies to death, ram or tackle through them while running, run and slide through small spaces while shin kicking enemies so they lose balance for a chance of a skull stomping kill, counter an incoming attack with a grappling move or run away from a pursuer while being able to turn your head back and throw a Molotov at him in hopes to shake off the chase. And these are samples of what you can do in combat, while unarmed! Did I mention that you can even use zombies as a leap to reach higher ground as if this was a Mario Bros game? Speaking of which, platforming feels so great in this game that for a second you would think you were playing as Nathan Drake or even Batman in a post apocalyptic setting.

Scavenging for resources and crafting is the name of the game here. As weapons wear and tear to a point of being unrepairable, while your health never regenerates to a full state whitout the help of medikits or going back to base camp, it makes you so mindful and eager to explore every nook and cranny of its world for anything that can prolong your survival. And many locations present themselves as little puzzles as their entrances are not easily accessible at first glance, prompting you to fully utilize your parkour skill set to find a suitable entrance to the loot. And while picklocking a door or a safe you are always open to a possible surprise zombie attack. Because in this game, as your character grows in weaponry and move set, so does the challenge, with types of zombies that can chase you all the way to the tallest rooftop and outrun you if you are not careful enough. Speaking of weapons, I don't recall the last game I played which made me weigh the consequences of using firearms on certain situations. Though they are powerful at disposing enemies at a safe distance, their loud sound will draw attention and bring hordes of zombies upon you real quick.

To add even more depth, there is a day and night cycle which will change drastically the way you approach the game, as it is at dusk that you will most likely encounter the strongest and most terrifying creatures in the entire game but also the best rewards are given to those who dare venture in it. In short, tension is always present, with a terrific and haunting atmospheric music and sound to add to the already highly immersive experience.

The many elements mentioned above elevate this game easily above the rest even though the setting and story might have all been done before. The DLC is also another outstanding feature, as it not only extends the main campaign story but revamps its game mechanics completely. Gone it is the verticality and walls to protect yourself, and instead you are given ample fields with very limited accessible safe zones. As a tradeoff you receive a customizable vehicle to explore the new areas and lay waste on your enemies, while constantly looking for fuel and repair parts, a la Mad Max style! So basically when looking forward to any FPS game to come, I will always look back and compare it to Dying Light as this is the highest compliment I can give to a videogame.

My score: 5/5 Masterpiece
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:37 am

BlueMue wrote:I found the story to be rather confusing, I honestly have to say I didn't understand what they were going for with the ending. The whole thing also felt less grounded (no pun intended). Bioshock managed to explain the whole deal how the underwater city came into existance much better and thus made it all the more believable. In Infinite it seems everything is just magic, even though it is explained. Things could've been even more mechanic and also steam powered in my opinion.

Well, I don't know if I remember it correctly, I might be mixing up the story DLC and the ending of the actual game. But I think it's pretty cool what they did there, using interdimensional travel and a multiverse to connect Infinite with the original Bioshock. That one was already set in an alternate reality from ours anyway. Other than that my memory is kinda blurred. I absolutely loved the huge mechanic bird though.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:11 pm

I get the impression I might have been the only one around here that would give a shit about this one, but all the same, just beat Watch_Dogs 2.
I feel like the reception to this game reveals an extreme sort of hypocrisy in the gaming community. It seems like it's been received pretty positively this time around, which is a pretty drastic turnaround from the first game which everyone seemed to shit all over (to my everlasting confusion; that game was fantastic). But if I'm entirely honest, WD2 really doesn't improve much of anything over the first game. The gameplay feels pretty much the same, but with a few extra options for most things you can hack. The controls are still basically the same, and the driving still has that arcade-y feel to it. If anything they've only made the game less fun, by making the protagonist far too fragile (making gunfights more of a chore to get through), removing the cinematic camera work that gave the first game's car chases so much impact, and by making the hacking while driving far less intuitive. Likewise, they've removed the digital trip minigames entirely, which is a huuuuge fucking bummer.
In place of all the things they seem to have removed, they've added the ability to use drones during missions (which makes most of them too easy), and added a multiplayer component which... is actually pretty cool. It's very fun, the way other players will pop into your game, and you'll be given a limited-time mission to either take them out or help them. Good addition, no complaints on that.
But it doesn't change the fact that, as a sequel, it feels like this one has taken a step backward.
In the first game, I experienced some of my favorite gaming moments overall in the areas of stealth, gunplay, and car chases. No exaggeration there, seriously. But I can't say the same for the second game at all.
If anything, I completely avoided gunfights in this one, barely even bothered physically infiltrating enemy bases (why bother when you can just used a remote-controlled drone for it?), and wasn't keen at all on getting into high-speed pursuits (artificially difficult to get out of when cops spawn out of nowhere, and not exactly visceral when you can't even see the stuff you're hacking and destroying).
Honestly, all these people that hated on the first game but actually like the second game... yeah, they should probably give the first game another shot. Take away the ridiculous hype that they built up for it on their own and play the first game on its own merits, and it's a fucking phenomenal experience. I like the second game, don't get me wrong (it's not broken or particularly bad or anything), and Ubisoft really made an admirable attempt at addressing people's complaints... but I'm sorry, the first game totally trounces it in terms of simple, flat-out fun.

Likewise, on a totally subjective aesthetic level, I like the first game better as well. They tried to make the sequel more colorful, with far more humor, a younger cast, a sunnier environment and all that. And it's not bad (though the cutscenes feel a bit awkward sometimes because half the time they lack a soundtrack). It's very "modern," in a way few other games are. But I personally loved the focus on an older protagonist in the first game (I think he was something like 38), loved the more serious tone of an angry vigilante seeking revenge and protecting his family, and thought Chicago was a better setting for this sort of "proto-cyberpunk" vibe that the series aims for as a whole. For this series, I feel like darker is better. The second game just feels too young and "pop." I didn't question whether Aiden Pierce would shoot down a bunch of thugs and blow up roads for his own ends. Of course he would. But young, cheery, upstanding Marcus Holloway? I buy into him hacking shit... but anything else feels like an unrealistic stretch. Sure, I shot my way through a number of thugs, but Marcus as a character doesn't actually feel capable of that.
Aiden does.
So yeah, score another for the first game.

I'm still looking forward to the upcoming DLC and all (I did get the season pass after all, and one of them is supposed to feature Jordi Chen, my favorite character from the original) and I'll probably have fun with it. All I'm saying is the first game was better, not that the sequel is bad.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:53 pm

Far Cry Primal.
First game I've ever actually gone out of my way to platinum, so that should speak to how addicted I became to this game.
I haven't played Far Cry 4 myself, but I hear that if you've played that, you probably won't be that impressed with Primal. And in some ways I guess that makes sense; I've seen videos of FC4, and yeah, it actually does seem more advanced, despite having been released earlier.
But then, I guess it also makes sense for Primal to feel more primitive. It is, y'know... about being a cave man. No guns, no vehicles. A small selection of weapons for stabbing or bludgeoning things, a small roster of tamable animals to fight alongside you, and a vast expanse of land to trek across and conquer. It features all the Far Cry-prerequisite outposts and bases to infiltrate and take over, a number of caves to go spelunking in, and a slew of collectible items to find. On the surface, it's all pretty basic stuff, certainly nothing groundbreaking.
But man oh man, that atmosphere. It's hard for me to recall another time where I've felt so immersed in a game's world, so invested in the very act of exploration. The story for the game is very simple; there are two vicious tribes encroaching on your tribe's land and doing bad shit, so go take out their leaders. There are no real twists or turns, nothing to be all that surprised by (though some of the characters are still really fun and likable). And even upon reaching the end of the game, there isn't really much of a grand finish to top it all off (though the final missions are still some of the best in the game). You finally kill the game's villains, and you win.
But it's the act of getting there that makes it worthwhile. The sense you get of actually living in this wild, dangerous land, the sense that you're slowly making it better with each passing mission and accomplishment. The whole Neolithic basis of it is one that hasn't been touched upon in many games before, and certainly not with this level of detail. The developers even went out of their way to create a fictional language and three separate dialects, based on what little we know of primitive human languages. They could have easily just done everything in English with some odd, unidentifiable accents. But no, they went the extra step and made the whole game subtitled to a made-up language. That's an insane amount of work, all in the name of atmosphere, and it pays off brilliantly.
The game has been criticized as repetitive, and yeah, sure, you do perform the same basic actions over and over, just in different locations. But the abilities and actions you have access to all feel distinctly fitting for the game's setting, so for me personally, it didn't really get stale until I'd completed every single thing on the map. Spent 49 and a half hours trekking through the unforgiving land of Oros, and I had a damn blast.

I've been looking forward to Michel Ancel's Wild for some time now, and it's supposed to have a similar setup to this; I'm just hoping Primal didn't ruin Wild's chances of being as impressive as it might have been otherwise. Really digging all this Neolithic love in videogames. Can't wait to get more.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:40 pm

Virginia:

The main draw of the game is the use of realtime montage in videogames (something that it's not something really easy to do), the game has this type of plain vertex colors aesthetic, and it's a silent game.

While the editing it's pretty damn good, but loses most of it's power in the first hour or so.

The game likes to throw a lot a simbolism, but mostly seems forced, specially at the end.

Talking about the end, I was very dissapointed, was self congratulatory jerking off (at least to me).

The game was pretty interesting, but after playing other games like thirty flights of loving, this was not something I felt that fresh, and would not reccomend . The gameplay was slow, very directed, not much to see here IMO.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Ash » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:27 pm

Two reviews in one post.

Final Fantasy XV.

This game is quite divisive, and with it's history, and the conception that the game has been in development for ten years, it's not surprising that people either had very high hopes for this game, or thought it would be abysmal.

I enjoyed the game myself, but I feel that SE should have either delayed the game further, or completely cancelled Versus, and created XV from scratch. There's so much potential in just about everything in XV that isn't realised, it's almost depressing when you consider the game it could have been, had it been allowed more time.

The open map is very scenic in places, but it's also quite sparse, and with a few exceptions, most of the outposts seems to have been somewhat copied and pasted. Lucis is also the only place with an open map; there are other locations that you'll visit later in the game that limit you to a fairly small space. There are invisible walls all over the place, and it can sometimes be frustrating to go exploring the countryside, only to come up against an invisible wall. On exploring; the Regalia (the car) can be irritatingly slow (though you can buy soundtracks containing select tracks from previous Final Fantasies to play whilst driving), and difficult to drive at night due to the "daemons" that come out at that time, and force you to stop driving - there is a sidequest at one point to get some headlights that will stop the daemons from blocking your path, but that quest can only be done when you're over halfway through the game. The Regalia can also only drive on roads. You can hire Chocobos a short way in; they can go off road, are faster than walking, and you can ride them away from enemies, but you currently can't play any music when riding them - you may get annoyed of the infamous Chocobo theme after listening to it non-stop for half an hour.

The story is also rather sparse. The basic premise is that two nations, Lucis and Niflheim have been at war for years. Realising that Lucis cannot win the war, King Regis is forced to accept a peace treaty; relinquish control of all of Lucis, save the capital to Niflheim; and the marriage of Prince Noctis to the former princess Luna. In return, Regis will be left with free reign over Insomnia, the capital of Lucis. Uncertain of Niflheim's sincerity, Regis arranges for the wedding between Noctis and Luna to be held in the city of Altissa, outside of the country of Lucis. Regis sends Noctis off on a road trip to the wedding with three friends that Noctis has known for years, but after leaving Insomnia, but before leaving Lucis, Noctis finds out that Niflheim has betrayed Regis, and all of Lucis, including Insomnia is now in Niflheim's hands. Noctis vows that he will reclaim his throne, and free all of Lucis from Niflheim. Final Fantasy XV probably has one of the shortest stories in the series (around 15-20 hours if you don't do any side quests). It's a shame, because there is a story there, but the presentation of it is lacking. There's a lot left vague, or glossed over. Like Versus (supposedly), Final Fantasy XV has a rather sad, dark story underneath the road trip but the scarceness of the story means a number of the emotional points may not have their intended effect on the player - there's one in particular that's receiving quite a bit of ridicule around the Internet. While there is DLC planned to introduce further cutscenes to the main story, and a scenario for each of the three non-playable party members, I personally have doubts how effective the DLC will be.

Combat - I've seen a lot of recommendations to change the default control type (A) to either B or C; as it makes combat a lot more fun. I did play through using control type A, so I'm not sure if using B or C really does make that much of a difference. Combat is in real time, as opposed to the Active Time Battle previously used in Final Fantasy games. Random encounters are also gone; you'll see enemies on the map as you walk around, and a red bar will appear at the top of the screen to indicate how much notice the enemy is taking of you. When the red bar extends all the way across the screen, the enemy will attack. You only play as Noctis, you can't control the other three members of the team, or set up gambits for their behaviour; although each of the three has various techniques that you can call upon. Each character can only have one technique assigned at a time, but the game does allow you to go into the menu and swap a characters technique during a battle, if needed. Noctis can use all weapons, allowing you to decide whether you prefer greatswords, with slower, but more powerful blows, or daggers, for quicker, less damaging attacks. Noctis can also have four weapons equipped at a time, swapping between them is done with a press of the D-Pad, and eliminates the need to go into the menu to change weapons. Magic must be created from energy Noctis can take from fire, ice and lightening deposits, and stored in a magic flask. Magic is quite strong, but given that it needs to recharge between uses, and that it can also hurt your party, I only used it a few times during the game. You also can't use summons at will in Final Fantasy XV; summons (called Astrals) have their own minds in this game, and will only help Noctis out if certain criteria are met. If this criteria is close to being met in a battle outside, the sky will darken, and different music will start to play. Soon afterwards (Astrals can be summoned indoors as well), a prompt to press L2 (may depend on your control type) will appear, and after holding down L2 (it does have to be held down, not pressed or tapped), an Astral will appear (you can't choose which Astral; they each have their own criteria for summoning) and usually one-shot your opponent. I thought the Astral summonings were impressive, and in keeping with how powerful the Astrals are said to be in the games lore.

Sidequests and Hunts are where most people will spend most of their time in the game. There are a lot of sidequests in Final Fantasy XV. Most are marked on the map, but some you will only come across if you explore. Reaction to the sidequests are mixed, quite a few of them are fetch quests; "go to this location, and run around in a circle shown on the map until you find x item". This didn't really bother me, there was only one sidequest that I found frustrating, but again, opinion is divisive on this. Some sidequests will take you to optional dungeons; I was a little disappointed with the dungeons in that the ones with the more boring and repetitive design were much longer than those that had more interesting and varied designs (in my opinion), but some of the dungeons are atmospheric and fun to explore. One thing to note about taking on sidequests is that unless you wear an accessory to stop gaining EXP, you will end up highly over levelled for the main story if you start doing the sidequests straight away. For an example, I believe the recommended level for the last quest in the main story is somewhere in the 40's - I was in the 50's in chapter three. Hunts was something I wasn't too keen on. To start with, there isn't a centralised location to sign up to a hunt; you have to go to every diner separately to check on the hunts that diner is currently offering, though you are allowed to turn in a completed hunt to any diner. To compound this, diners add more hunts as you gain levels; you might have done all the hunts that a diner offers, but as soon as you level up your hunter rank, you'll need to check that diner again to see if any new hunts have been added. You can also only sign up for one hunt at a time, so you can't just sweep all the diners and sign up for all the hunts currently on offer. Another thing I disliked about the hunts - a lot of the targets just seemed to be minding their own business. The posters say that the targets are causing habitat destruction, but there's no visual evidence of that, and I honestly felt bad killing animals/monsters that didn't seem to be doing anything wrong. It felt odd to me that the four were okay with some of the hunts; given that Noctis and Prompto are both established as being animal lovers, and I think that apparently not having any peaceful species that existed with humanity (with the exception of Chocobos) actually detracted from the world a little.

Root Double: Before Crime.

This is a visual novel game of the reading and occasionally inputting a choice variety. Unlike a lot of other "pure" visual novel games though, which usually present the player with concrete choices which determine the ending or route the novel goes down, Root Double uses the "Senses Sympathy" system, where at certain times, you'll have to input your current feelings on one more more character, using a bar. Depending on how positive or negative your feelings are will dictate the current playable character's thoughts, words and actions. This can have a minor effect, or could lead to major consequences. To help guide players, Senses Sympathy decisions are colour-coded. A blue decision means that it's a minor decision. A yellow decision means that your choice could impact the ending, or have serious consequences. Finally, a red decision is basically a fatal choice. Choosing wrongly here will almost certainly lead to a bad ending.

The premise of the story is that the Nuclear reactor in a facility call LABO has had a meltdown. An elite rescue squad, Sirius, is dispatched to search for survivors, but while Sirius are carrying out their rescue, they find themselves sealed in LABO, along with several survivors, and must find a way to escape.

When you first start Root Double, you have a choice of two routes. The After route, and the Before route. The After route covers events after the meltdown, and comes from the perspective of Watase, the captain of Sirius. The Before route mainly covers events up to the meltdown, and comes from the perspective of Natsuhiko, a student. Despite the names, and Before taking place before After, the almost universal opinion is that After should be played first.

After is somewhat reminiscent of Zero Escape: 999. There are nine main characters in Root Double, and each corresponds to one of the Enneagram personality types (Watase is the Investigator, and Natsuhiko the Enthusiast); Senses Sympathy options are done against an Enneagram, and each character is labelled with their type. The lockdown in LABO is due to be lifted in nine hours, but with radiation levels rising, and very limited quantities of anti-radiation medication, and more and more fires breaking out, simply waiting the nine hours out is not an option. There are even some scientific lectures at points, though these start really taking off in the Before route, rather than the After route.

The After route is also where the Senses Sympathy system comes into its own the most; as an interesting, but somewhat flawed mechanic. With the threat of both fires and radiation, there are a lot of times where Watase, or someone else will find themselves in mortal peril, and you'll use Senses Sympathy to determine Watase's course of action. Since you're deciding how you feel about someone though, rather than deciding to, for example, fight a fire, or run away, sometimes the actions taken as a result of your choice can be the opposite of what you intended when you made the decision. In one scenario, giving Watase a high value in Senses Sympathy may cause Watase to decide against taking a dangerous action and retreating to safety, but in a later scenario, a high value for Watase may make him overconfident, and plunge headfirst into danger. This can be frustrating, but it does seem like the developers may have realised this - most decisions that lead to a bad end in the After route initially appear as a yellow decision, and if you do make a wrong decision, the game will usually allow you to change your mind; this time as a red decision to alert you to an incoming bad ending. Additionally, if you do get a bad ending, the game will give you hints on how to avoid the bad ending; these can be switched off for players that prefer to experiment and find their own way through the story.

As with 999, there's little visual gore in Root Double, but some of the bad ends in After route are somewhat... descriptive. I wouldn't say it gets quite as bad as 999, but it may still make some players feel a bit uncomfortable/squeamish.

Before route is more "slice of life". I'd probably compare it more to Ever 17 than Zero Escape, as Natsuhiko goes to school, and listens to science lectures as a chain of events start that result in him and a few of his friends being trapped in LABO after the nuclear meltdown. Personally, I found Before to drag a little at times, after the After route, though this is by no means a general consensus. I also didn't like the student characters as much as the adult characters; I found Natsuhiko to be quite unlikeable. It's also a lot easier to avoid bad endings in Before than After. I liked the tension of not knowing whether a choice I made would lead to a bad end, and that tension made me think before making a decision, but others may prefer the straight-forwardness of the decisions in Before route, especially if the unpredictability of Senses Sympathy was an annoyance in After route.

Once the first two routes are complete, the final route opens. It doesn't drag the way Before route does, but, despite a few tense moments, doesn't really feel quite as intense as After does either, in my opinion. Once the true ending in the final route is seen, the Xtend episode is unlocked, this a collection of scenes for each of the nine characters that provide further insight, or information into the characters that wouldn't have fitted into the main narrative.

Overall, I enjoyed Root Double, even though the ending left something of a bad taste in my mouth. The story is interesting, and a lot of the cast are likeable, even though most of them have rather limited character development.

A few completion hints; I'll put these under a spoiler, but I've tried to be as vague as possible.
- You need to see the After route good ending to unlock the final route.
- You'll need to play After route three times to get the full epilogue and bad endings.
- You'll need to play Before route twice to get all the bad endings.
- There's a certain yellow decision fairly near the start of the last route. Whatever choice you make there will close off some of the endings. If you'd prefer to leave the true ending until last, you should decide in favour of the person making the decision in your first playthrough.
-Not digging too deeply will also close off some of the endings, but it also leads to unique scenes.

Ash has received a thanks from: Axm
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby OL » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:06 am

Styx: Master of Shadows.
Holy shit. This game is totally Tenchu.
I mean, no, it's not about ninjas, not based in Japan or anything like that. I think most Tenchu fans are fans specifically because of the fact that it's about ninjas, a certain culture, all that. So no, being a Tenchu fan does not mean that you'll automatically like Styx.
But if you're into the actual style of stealth gameplay in Tenchu, this game is a fucking goldmine.
It's all about a little drug-addicted goblin thief named Styx (ya don't say) who breaks into a giant tower in order to steal the source of his addiction for himself. The world it takes place in is a very Warhammer-esque fantasy universe which, naturally, is also home to humans, orcs, and elves. Normally it would all seem kind of ho-hum to me (non-Warhammer medieval fantasy settings are usually like that for me), but the fact that it focuses on a lowly goblin as its protagonist makes it feel a little different, as does the fact that the humans are generally made out to be the bad guys. Also the fact that everyone uses the word "fuck" pretty liberally.
As mentioned, the stealth feels a helluva lot like Tenchu. Not to say that it doesn't borrow from other sources as well -- the use of darkness is very reminiscent of Splinter Cell, the climbing shows shades of Uncharted, the poisoning of food/dropping of chandeliers feels a lot like Hitman -- but I couldn't help feeling that weird twinge of nostalgia for my old favorite ninja series while playing. The stealth kills, the enemy patterns and patrols, the intentionally difficult combat which influences you further to stay hidden... in plain words, that all just sounds like the hallmarks of any old stealth game, but trust me, when you're actually playing it feels a lot like one in particular. And in that way, I love that it feels like a bit of a throwback. It isn't trying all that hard to be something groundbreaking; it's just trying to take old formulas and do them well, while also taking advantage of current hardware to make the environments more expansive and vertical than earlier generations could do. That's a goal I can totally get behind. And man, it can get hard later on, with enemies that can only be killed in specific, difficult ways, and levels that are ridiculously littered with enemies at every turn. Fans of trying to completely ghost their way through stealth games might like the challenge here; I get the impression that, getting past the game's lower-budget trappings, MITT3NZ would probably dig the hell out of this.
At the start, the story doesn't seem like it's going to be anything special, but I was actually surprised to find that it has a very cool twist around the middle of the game. Overall, the presentation of the story feels a little lacking; the animations in cutscenes are very basic, and even the more important scenes are just presented with movies of still images. But considering those things, and considering that this obviously is not a high-budget game, I was actually impressed with how interesting the story ended up being. The best bits are during the latter half of the game, so if anyone gives it a try, just keep that in mind.
Very excited now for the slightly-higher-budget sequel coming out in a couple months, and I'm definitely going to give Cyanide Studios' previous game, Of Orcs and Men, a playthrough (it's a totally different type of game, but it actually does feature Styx himself as one of the protagonists).
This one really took me by surprise. One of my favorite stealth experiences in years, alongside Dishonored (which I like for very different reasons).
OL
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:50 am

Plants vs Zombies

It's mint.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:32 am

GTA V and rememoried

GTA V was really fun, there was a lot of funny content specially at the start, the characters had potential but the character development was pretty damn bad specially for franklin, there doesn't seem to be a good reason on why he's actually in the game, I guess to get some of that gta SA gangsta vibe.

I don't think I "naturally" went into a single rampage just for the fun of it, the world feels big but a little empty, the music is meh, and the talk shows in this game are some of the worst in the franchise. Those felt like "we have an idea, let's drag it for a 20 minutes".

Overall I enjoyed it, it has been a long time since I tried some gta.

Rememoried is some experimental game, with pretty neat graphics, ONE idea, no real narrative and boring gameplay.
It's supposed to be a puzzle game, with each stage having a puzzle to solve, but most of the time is "jump to X place" and most of the time it includes what is basically the big idea of the game is that it spawns things while you don't look, so let's say you don't see where to jump next, so you do a 360 and look at the new generated stuff to see if you can advance (and this doesn't always works like you want, so you'll be spinning/looking around in place a lot, and some dissapearing platforms). The platforms can be some concave weirdly shaped rocks and even some spheric surfaces, all of that done in a first person perspective, with some very weird imagery, also the game throws some random glitch effects that make you understand less wtf is going on.

There are some good levels, but most of them consist of bad platforming, or walk to a random place. So while the world is interesting and the graphics can get extremely beautiful from time to time, the game part makes it worse than it should/could have been.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:01 pm

I also played Inside, but I forgot about it, and that I think it's a review in itself.

It was pretty good, the animations, atmosphere, physics, are all top notch and work great with the game.

But I found it a little dull and boring, there wasn't much of a challenge, there's not a concrete story (that I could grasp), there are a couple of nice mechanics in play, but most of the game I'd say it's just running straight, even some puzzles seemed a little bit like a chore, even while it's a highly condensed game.

Everything here works, runs smooth, feels good, but I found the rhythm of the game somewhat slow, most of the scenes not that interesting and the puzzles didn't puzzle me much. While it's supposed to have that trial and error flow, most of the time I got things straight away or in a second attempt, lefting me with the impression of running right around 90% of a 2 hours experience.

Maybe it's the hype of it being on most "top current year lists" but it didn't grab me like limbo did in it's time.
Maybe I'm having some videogame burnout, because Doom was also in a lot of "best of the bestests things" and it kinda bored me (I played around 5 hours and unninstalled it).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming