Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby south carmain » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:52 am

Is it me or is Yakuza 0 getting a ton of hype compared to other games in the series? I keep on seeing reviews by people I didnt expect to review it and comments from a ton of people that haven't tried the series saying they're going to get it.

It would be awesome if yakuza 0 managed to get the series out of the niche category.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Yakuza 0

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:58 am

Ad.earns wrote: I know there's already a thread on the yakuza series but I was just wondering if anyone would recommend this to a shenmue fan? I've heard it thrown in the same boat as shenmue a million times but I've never played a yakuza game and I've been seriously tempted to buy this one.

If anyone was going to message the mods to have Ad earns banned for making topics for games we already have topics on don't worry, I've already messaged them.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:01 am

Probably because, storywise, it's a convenient jumping on point for new players, including reviewers who haven't bothered with the series so far.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby myshtuff » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:02 am

I need an entire series HD collection on PS4. Please and thank you Sony...

myshtuff has received a thanks from: King John Blaze
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:08 am

They should probably do a Kiwami-style remake of Yakuza 2 and then just churn out ports or (at the most) remasters of 3-5, in order to get the whole series on PS4 without splitting their resources between the old and new games any longer than they have to.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:30 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: They should probably do a Kiwami-style remake of Yakuza 2 and then just churn out ports or (at the most) remasters of 3-5, in order to get the whole series on PS4 without splitting their resources between the old and new games any longer than they have to.

Yeah, they need to do a Kiwami of 2. Simply putting 3-5 on PS Now instead of porting or remastering them would be okay too, I guess. Unless that thing stays restricted to the few countries it's available in at the moment.

Monkei has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ad.earns » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:40 am

Wow harsh, I'm sorry I'm new to using forums even though I've looked on shenmue dojo for years now I didn't realise. I did see a thread about the whole yakuza series that was 180+ pages long, i was simply asking for some advice on 1 game in particular, I didn't know that was the wrong thing to do. At least I know for next time
Ad.earns
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Filthyskin
Steam: Dirtskin
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:29 pm

I always forget about PS Now, because:

a) I don't have a PS4 yet,
b) I'm not sure it's available here, and
c) I probably wouldn't use it anyway.

But yes, it would be an acceptable method of making the games available at least.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:43 pm

^ It's available in the US and I thinnnnk in the UK (or are they still beta testing?), and very few other countries, if any at all. Correct me if I'm wrong though!

Ad.earns wrote: Wow harsh, I'm sorry I'm new to using forums even though I've looked on shenmue dojo for years now I didn't realise. I did see a thread about the whole yakuza series that was 180+ pages long, i was simply asking for some advice on 1 game in particular, I didn't know that was the wrong thing to do. At least I know for next time

I now merged your thread into this one (sorry for the mess everyone) and hereby allow you to discuss 1 particular Yakuza game instead of the whole series in here. Have fun, and please reduce the trolling to a minimum!
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:54 pm

south carmain wrote: Is it me or is Yakuza 0 getting a ton of hype compared to other games in the series? I keep on seeing reviews by people I didnt expect to review it and comments from a ton of people that haven't tried the series saying they're going to get it.

I think it's finally a case of right place, right time. Weirdly, I think people are simply getting excited for videogames again (I know I'm feeling that bug a bit myself, with all the practically guaranteed-to-be-great titles coming this year), and the PS4 seems like the best place to go for the majority of it. So, being a PS4 exclusive at this particular moment in time, Yakuza is finally getting a bit more notice than usual. And the basic online advertising has, of course, been a bit better-handled than ever before this time. Better trailers, a better amount of them, all that.

Part of me kind of hates the attention though; I've seen videos now of reviewers and gaming press folks lavishing it with praise and having dorky fun with karaoke and whatnot, laughing and having a good time... when, I swear to god, these are the same kinds of people who turned their noses up at that kind of stuff in earlier games. The same kinds of people who scoffed at earlier games for having "stiff animations," groaned because the side-stories aren't fully-voiced, or who flipped the first two games the bird just because of fixed camera angles during exploration. The same kinds of people who always point the finger and criticize series like this for being yearly, for only making incremental changes from game to game.
Now all these people are saying "Great game, we should all play it!" when I already know and fully expect it to basically be more of the same. With some incremental changes.
Not that it'll diminish my enjoyment of it, it's just irritating to see such a vast amount of hypocrites in the gaming/online press.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:08 pm

OL wrote:
I think it's finally a case of right place, right time. Weirdly, I think people are simply getting excited for videogames again (I know I'm feeling that bug a bit myself, with all the practically guaranteed-to-be-great titles coming this year), and the PS4 seems like the best place to go for the majority of it.

I think you nailed it. I know I've said it here before, that I played 1&2 then I lost all interest in the series. Yakuza 0 has been everywhere I look lately. Tons of people have been talking about it. Its on literally every site I go to. I think a huge part of its success is the marketing its getting and the perfect release window. Plus its just a great time to be a fan of gaming in general. There is so much to be excited for this year. My copy should arrive with Tales of Berseria later.

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Some very good points there, OL. I think the problem is that most people are spineless. That explains why now some of the same people who have been ridiculing Yakuza for years are now praising it.

But I think we shouldn't be annoyed by that. It's a fantastic thing Yakuza is finally getting more exposure in the West and the overwhelming majority of reviews are favorable. I really hope that finally a Yakuza installment can achieve good sales figures in the West. This series deserves a way bigger audience around the world! I'm sure it won't be the blockbuster hit it has been in Japan but I think it could really attract its fair share of users in the West too.

I've ordered my US copy of the game and it got shipped yesterday (too afraid of the fucking censorship cutting it here in Germany - they don't like gory games). I've taken a week off from work starting on Friday and it would be a very sweet coincidence if the game got here before that. It's about -5 degrees Celsius here during daytime at the moment and like -15 at night, which is 23 and 5 degrees Fahrenheit (thank you, Google) so that should be the perfect weather to stay at home and play some Yakuza.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: OL
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:56 pm

^ Yeah, that cold is crazy. Just out of curiosity - why didn't you order the UK version? Don't deliveries take much longer from the US, unless you pay a lot for express deliveries or whatever?

And I guess you could have gone with the German version, too. They're much more lenient with the gore stuff these days overhere, games only rarely get censored (or even banned). The last two cases I can think of (that actually affected me and made me order UK versions) are Sleeping Dogs and Dead Space 2. If Yakuza was censored you'd probably have read that somewhere, news outlets usually post this kind of info.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:29 pm

Disc installed. Here we go.

I thought I was supposed to get a collectors edition, but I just got the game. Typical.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Ziming » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:18 pm

Regardless of what you think of his style of game reviews he's given Yakuza 0 quite a bit of publicity.

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received a thanks from: Kintor
Ziming
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming