Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby myshtuff » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:14 am

They do a great job with capturing the feel of a place. In Yakuza 3, they did an amazing job of getting Okinawa right all the way down to the famous market in the capital city of Naha.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Yakuza series

Postby Axm » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:09 am

Ya even though I have never finished a Yakuza game to its ending before, 3 is the one I spent the most time with and I loved okinawa.

edit: scratch that I actually finished Yakuza 2 back in the day. But not 1. Or 3 or 4 or Kenzan and Ishin even though ive owned and played all of them.

OL wrote:^^I think they had some of Fukuoka in Yakuza 5 actually, though I'm sure it's only a representation of a tiny little part (probably not the scale you'd be hoping for). I think it was the opening area, actually, where Kazuma is working as a cab driver.

Oh wow really? Now I have to check it out eventually.
Last edited by Axm on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:21 am

OL wrote: ^^I think they had some of Fukuoka in Yakuza 5 actually, though I'm sure it's only a representation of a tiny little part (probably not the scale you'd be hoping for). I think it was the opening area, actually, where Kazuma is working as a cab driver.

You ever go back to Yakuza 5 in the end?
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby south carmain » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:21 pm

Man I'm usually good at rythm games but I absolutely suck at disco dancing in 0
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Peter » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:24 pm

I haven't even tried it yet. Too busy with the darts. Got the the very last round and ended up losing 10 million ffs.

Need to learn the dancing though because a side mission with the dancing gives you the item that reveals the location of all sub stories (instead of finding them randomly or using a guide)
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Testament » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:51 pm

OL wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: Having booted the game up today (no patches, woohoo, just like Gravity Rush 2! Straight into the game) and beaten Chapter 1, I have to say that I think this might have been the best opening chapter in the Yakuza series yet.

I couldn't help but to try it out just a little while ago myself, and man, even just the first few minutes is one of the best openings in the series. From the first cutscene, all the way to meeting Nishiki, it's all aces.

Right? I'm so happy to see Yakuza being developed as a crime thriller again.
Testament
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:45 pm

OL wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: Having booted the game up today (no patches, woohoo, just like Gravity Rush 2! Straight into the game) and beaten Chapter 1, I have to say that I think this might have been the best opening chapter in the Yakuza series yet.

Also, seeing the opening credits... holy shit, how did it pass me by that Tetsuya Watari, the freakin' Tokyo Drifter himself, is in this game?
People make a big deal about how Takeshi Kitano is gonna be in Yakuza 6, but to me personally, I think it's an even bigger deal that Tetsuya Watari and Riki Takeuchi -- a friggin' double shot of legendary yakuza actors -- are both in this.
Reminds me, I still need to go finish watching the Outlaw: Gangster VIP series sometime soon. Lotsa stabbing and manly tears.

I know! Yakuza series is basically a who's who in the Japanese gangster movie genre nowadays featuring all of the legends from the Yakuza films over the years. Watari was actually the actor playing Fuma/Kazama since the PS2 era just now they've actually featured his likeness planted over Fuma/Kazama.

I'll spoil these just in case you didn't know or want to get spoiled over it:
Hideo Nakano (Outrage series actor), Shingo Tsurumi (another Dead or Alive actor) and fucking Hitoshi Ozawa (also a Dead or Alive actor and collaborator with Miike) are also in it.

After getting into Chapter 2, this is very much more in the style of Yakuza of old, more of an actual crime thriller or Yakuza film style of old rather than "oh I guess I will have to do one last job" (an outsider looking in) which is honestly refreshing after Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 all featured Kazuma being roped back in to the lifestyle, here he's right in the dead centre of it all and in a right mess. Definitely gives me vibes of the Yakuza 1 and 2 style, which I've greatly missed from the series.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby south carmain » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Yeah yakuza 0 definitely seems to have the grit that previous entries were lacking.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Watari was actually the actor playing Fuma/Kazama since the PS2 era just now they've actually featured his likeness planted over Fuma/Kazama.

:shock:
Seriously, how the hell did I not know this?
I guess it's just the fact that they actually did a movie style of opening credits this time, highlighting actor names and all that. Either they didn't do that before, or I just didn't pay attention. Feel like such a chud now. Much as I love the series, and I never realized the guy had always been there. :lol:
I'm such a doofus.
I think the only time I really payed attention to who the actors were was with Yakuza 4 (since I had to do research for my crappy little video), and I was all impressed at that time that they had Kinya Kataoji, who played my favorite character in the original Battles Without Honor and Humanity series.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:44 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
OL wrote:

Also, seeing the opening credits... holy shit, how did it pass me by that Tetsuya Watari, the freakin' Tokyo Drifter himself, is in this game?
People make a big deal about how Takeshi Kitano is gonna be in Yakuza 6, but to me personally, I think it's an even bigger deal that Tetsuya Watari and Riki Takeuchi -- a friggin' double shot of legendary yakuza actors -- are both in this.
Reminds me, I still need to go finish watching the Outlaw: Gangster VIP series sometime soon. Lotsa stabbing and manly tears.

I know! Yakuza series is basically a who's who in the Japanese gangster movie genre nowadays featuring all of the legends from the Yakuza films over the years. Watari was actually the actor playing Fuma/Kazama since the PS2 era just now they've actually featured his likeness planted over Fuma/Kazama.

I'll spoil these just in case you didn't know or want to get spoiled over it:
Hideo Nakano (Outrage series actor), Shingo Tsurumi (another Dead or Alive actor) and fucking Hitoshi Ozawa (also a Dead or Alive actor and collaborator with Miike) are also in it.

After getting into Chapter 2, this is very much more in the style of Yakuza of old, more of an actual crime thriller or Yakuza film style of old rather than "oh I guess I will have to do one last job" (an outsider looking in) which is honestly refreshing after Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 all featured Kazuma being roped back in to the lifestyle, here he's right in the dead centre of it all and in a right mess. Definitely gives me vibes of the Yakuza 1 and 2 style, which I've greatly missed from the series.

Thank God.

This sounds so great.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Axm wrote: Ya even though I have never finished a Yakuza game to its ending before, 3 is the one I spent the most time with and I loved okinawa.

edit: scratch that I actually finished Yakuza 2 back in the day. But not 1. Or 3 or 4 or Kenzan and Ishin even though ive owned and played all of them.

OL wrote:^^I think they had some of Fukuoka in Yakuza 5 actually, though I'm sure it's only a representation of a tiny little part (probably not the scale you'd be hoping for). I think it was the opening area, actually, where Kazuma is working as a cab driver.

Oh wow really? Now I have to check it out eventually.

Yeah, Yakuza 5 starts in Fukuoka. The area is pretty small, but I personally still liked seeing Fukuoka in the game and comparing it to real life Fukuoka.

Ash has received a thanks from: Axm
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Man you guys weren't kidding. The intro is the classic Yakuza grit I miss.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:11 pm

Riku Rose wrote:You ever go back to Yakuza 5 in the end?

Nah, not so far. I keep saying it, but one of these days. Maybe after Yakuza 0. Gonna be hard to get into after Zero though; even aside from the awful Haruka parts (and the story being a disjointed mess overall), I remember the game feeling a helluva lot... less-polished than Zero already feels, in pretty much all technical areas. Might just be remembering it differently or something, but that was another thing that struck me about Zero in the scant half hour I've played so far: how much more solid it feels compared to the last game.
But I'd have to go back and check. So yeah, long as I can finally get to that baseball player's chapter, I might actually stick with it...
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:07 am

I love how the voice acting is so good that every reviewer praises it saying they can't understand a word theyre saying but damn does it sound good
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:11 am

I had the same regard for Banjo-Kazooie.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming