Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby south carmain » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:51 pm

14 hours in and i'm only at chapter 4 of kiwami. No wonder i can barely remember any of the stories of yakuza games :lol:
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:14 pm

Kiwami 2 should be in this week and I'll post my thoughts when I can.

On a slightly related note, NEVER do economy shipping from Play-Asia, as it now takes 30+ business days to get to East Coast NA. Completely stupid.
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby OL » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:21 pm

^^I've only ordered from Play Asia once or twice, years ago, and that was pretty much my only experience with them: shit took waaaaay too long to ship and arrive. I don't think I've bothered with them since.
I tend to go with CDJapan for any import needs.

OL has received 2 thanks from: darksniper, Truck_1_0_1_
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:37 am

I already own the Japanese versions to 6 and Kiwami 2. 6 is pretty good and has a great story. Finally great to see Beat Takeshi, a legendary yakuza actor, finally added to the franchise. In addition, it features other famous Japanese actors such as Tatsuya Fujiwara (from Battle Royale and Death Note) and Shun Oguri (GTO and Gokusen). Also, Ryusei Nakao, the voice of Freeza from Dragon Ball Z is in the game.

Kiwami 2 brings back the hostess mini game once again played by Japanese adult film actresses and the song as you customize them is still present. However, the Majima game is too short.

RyoHazuki84 has received a thanks from: Truck_1_0_1_
RyoHazuki84

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:42 am

I wish Kiwami would let you do something with the extra levels you've gained after maxing everything out. It's a bit silly how many I'm accumulating but can't do anything with, at this rate I'll have over 6000 by the end of the game.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:10 pm

OL wrote: ^^I've only ordered from Play Asia once or twice, years ago, and that was pretty much my only experience with them: shit took waaaaay too long to ship and arrive. I don't think I've bothered with them since.

May go that route, from now on.

They used to come in 2 weeks or less; Yakuza 5 shipped on December 10th or 12th, 2012 and arrived on December 27th, 2012, for example; if not for Christmas, would've been here quicker.

Thanks for reminding me about CDJapan.

RyoHazuki84 wrote: I already own the Japanese versions to 6 and Kiwami 2. 6 is pretty good and has a great story. Finally great to see Beat Takeshi, a legendary yakuza actor, finally added to the franchise. In addition, it features other famous Japanese actors such as Tatsuya Fujiwara (from Battle Royale and Death Note) and Shun Oguri (GTO and Gokusen). Also, Ryusei Nakao, the voice of Freeza from Dragon Ball Z is in the game.

Kiwami 2 brings back the hostess mini game once again played by Japanese adult film actresses and the song as you customize them is still present. However, the Majima game is too short.

6 is AWESOME and has an AWESOME story! Not just good!

Also, Fujiwara was Rikiya in Yakuza 3, playing a somewhat similar role thathe does in 6 lol.

Majima game too short? Fantastic. Getting sick to death of him being everywhere.

2 was a good enough game on its own, why add in elements just to please fans, when it isn't necessary? Especially ret-conning a bunch of crap that didn't need to be touched.
Truck_1_0_1_

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:17 pm

The Majima game is meant to provide backstory on why he left the Tojo Kai and started his construction company, and to pretty much tie up the loose ends he had with Makoto. It doesn't 100% affect the story of 2, but other than the inclusion of the Four Shine, nothing much is significantly retconned.

6 has a great story, but I still personally prefer 5. I spent some time in Hiroshima city so I do appreciate it the inclusion of Onomichi, which is on the very east end of the prefecture.
RyoHazuki84

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:23 am

I do prefer 5 as well; still the best title in the series, IMO (not too many agree here lol).
Truck_1_0_1_

Postby darksniper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:17 pm

OL wrote: ^^I've only ordered from Play Asia once or twice, years ago, and that was pretty much my only experience with them: shit took waaaaay too long to ship and arrive. I don't think I've bothered with them since.

Thanks for the reference. I imported Bayonetta from PA about 10 years ago and it took over a month for me to receive my game. Planning on importing that new Virtual On when it drops this month. I'll be giving CD Japan a look. Hopefully it won't take as long.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby darksniper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:20 pm

Truck_1_0_1_ wrote: I do prefer 5 as well; still the best title in the series, IMO (not too many agree here lol).

To me 5 is when the series started to feel like it was beginning to jump the shark. Still a good game but there were moments where it felt like pulling teeth to get to the next chapter. Yakuza 2 is still the GOAT imo. Followed closely by 0.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Sega has announced that Yakuza 6: The Song of Life will now launch on April 17th in the west, around a month later than originally expected.

Sega isn't giving a reason for the game's delay from March 20th, only that, according to a tweet on the matter, it was a "tough business decision we didn't make lightly."

The good news, however, is that a Yakuza 6 demo will now arrive on PS4 on February 27th, and Sega says it has "many new plans" to reveal over the coming weeks.

Putting it 3 days before another PS4 exclusive God of War seems strange.

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:56 am

Bloody hell I had March 20th booked off work for that reason. Atleast they're releasing a demo, I don't believe that's been done since Yakuza 4?

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: darksniper
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:00 am

Riku Rose wrote:
Sega has announced that Yakuza 6: The Song of Life will now launch on April 17th in the west, around a month later than originally expected.

Sega isn't giving a reason for the game's delay from March 20th, only that, according to a tweet on the matter, it was a "tough business decision we didn't make lightly."

The good news, however, is that a Yakuza 6 demo will now arrive on PS4 on February 27th, and Sega says it has "many new plans" to reveal over the coming weeks.

Putting it 3 days before another PS4 exclusive God of War seems strange.

I guess Sega wants Yakuza to go back to being a commercial failure in the West once again. :roll:
O Rei do Frango Assado

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:07 am

I'd argue the delay, incidentally pushing this game into the new financial year, shows Sega has some confidence in Yakuza 6 atleast. Plus, last year Yakuza Zero released in a busy month last January and did just fine on it's own..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:40 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote: Bloody hell I had March 20th booked off work for that reason. Atleast they're releasing a demo, I don't believe that's been done since Yakuza 4?

I played a Yakuza 6 demo at Gamescom last year. Unless they're making another demo, it's gonna be the same one, probably. I think it's just a short story sequence and 1-on-1 fight. Also there's a bit of an Arena fighting mode shown. It's a good demo and all but I'm not sure if you'd really wanna take a day off for it.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming