Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby south carmain » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:45 am

I have to say this is my favourite yakuza yet. It feels a bit claustrophobic compared to 5 and I wosh they had kept the verticality of kamarucho after 4 but everything else makes this game so awesome. I'm glad they got rid of the chase sequences too, never really enjoyed those in previous games.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby myshtuff » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:07 am

The city looks beautiful. And I just played some space harrier at the arcade!
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby south carmain » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:52 am

No but seriously fuck the dancing minigame

Lost 5 billion to mr shakedown, never put so much effort in to a fight in yakuza than to get that back lol

south carmain has received a thanks from: Monkei
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Monkei » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:00 am

I sadly can't afford the game (or Gravity Rush 2 or Resident Evil 7) at the moment and usually don't buy € 60/70 games on day one anyway, but damn, I envy you guys. =P~

Monkei has received a thanks from: south carmain
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:43 am

^same here but I wanted to make an exception for yakuza 0 as Europe is probably its weakest area for sales (probably because they do zero marketing for it and don't translate the games in to local languages) I guess they don't get that English proficiency is actually stupidly low in the majority of Europe's largest economies.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Peter » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:56 am

south carmain wrote: No but seriously fuck the dancing minigame

Lost 5 billion to mr shakedown, never put so much effort in to a fight in yakuza than to get that back lol

100%.

But I still haven't defeated Mr Shakedown in about, 5 tries now. Combine this with that "drunk" guy you have to avoid for 1 minute and it becomes clear that this game does have everything, including moments where I physically want to rip apart my PS4 and TV with my bare hands.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby south carmain » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:12 am

Wait until you try the pocket circuit lol you'll be tearing your hair out
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Himuro » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:15 am

Yeah, South. This might be my favorite Yakuza since 2. 3 and 4 didn't click with me as much as 1 and 2 did but 0 somehow has the ps2 Yakuza magic without the silly antics of Kenzan that I'm not fond of.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby myshtuff » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:22 am

south carmain wrote: Wait until you try the pocket circuit lol you'll be tearing your hair out

Holy shit I must be doing something wrong with this minigame. I can't seem to figure out the best way to win at this. I even upgraded my car parts too.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby John Doom » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:26 am

south carmain wrote: ^same here but I wanted to make an exception for yakuza 0 as Europe is probably its weakest area for sales (probably because they do zero marketing for it and don't translate the games in to local languages) I guess they don't get that English proficiency is actually stupidly low in the majority of Europe's largest economies.

Indeed, Sega should localize their videogames in more languages. Even though I'm Italian, I was able to buy and play Yakuza games because I learned English enough to understand it, but I'm an exception: after all, it's not that everyone is supposed to master English :D

P.S.: On a side note, if they're going to remaster Shenmue 1 and 2, they'd better localize them as well, because otherwise it isn't going to make Shenmue 3 any more accessible to newcomers from non-English-speaking countries, trust me. For example, I showed Shenmue to my friend a few days ago and he said he liked it but he could in no way actually play it because he couldn't translate fast enough what the characters were saying during the cutscenes.
John Doom
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby south carmain » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:03 am

myshtuff wrote:
south carmain wrote: Wait until you try the pocket circuit lol you'll be tearing your hair out

Holy shit I must be doing something wrong with this minigame. I can't seem to figure out the best way to win at this. I even upgraded my car parts too.

I recoomend either doing loads of test runs changing parts to see which ones will give you the most optimal time or just looking up a guide on the internet, the second option is probably the best but you still need to do substories and buy stuff at dream machines to get the rare parts.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Peter » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:28 am

I won the first race, went over and bought some parts thinking I can smash this.... Didn't even finish the second race. I got lapped about 30 seconds in.

I have only just begun chapter 3, but all I know so far is you can get powerful batteries From Don Quiote, and just last night I got ultra gears from one of those dream machines.

Also, is there only about 10 prizes in the UFO catcher? 2 cats, a Sega mega drive, opa-opa, a lizard and 2 other sea lions and some shit. That's it?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:59 pm

My copy of Zero arrived in the mail yesterday. Chapter 1 didn't really make me fall in love with the game at first glance, but boy, do things get interesting in Chapter 2. It is absolutely packed with awesome side quests and mini games.

I've easily spent ten hours playing chapter two alone. There's so much stuff to do. The racing car game is awesome. The bowling mini game is really fun just as Outrun and Space Harrier. Kind of dislike the dancing thing though. It feels like you have to hit those buttons on the dot by the nanosecond to get any points but then again I've never touched a rhythm game before, so maybe I'll get the hang of it.

I love the side missions once again. Some are just awesome, some are downright hillarious.
Especially the Michaels Jackson and Steven Spielberg and the dominatrix ones are pure gold. Love how MJ always quotes his own song titles. :rotflmao:

On a side note: I got the Business Edition without expecting it. The edition with the neat metal business card case and Kiryu's and Majima's cards. :D

Also I found a lovely little Shenmue reference. Did anyone of you notice that Tenpokuken Ramen looks almost exactly like Manpukuken Ramen in Dobuita? The layout of the room, the furniture, the colors. A heartwarming token of respect from Nagoshi-san to Suzuki-san. O:)
Last edited by Hyo Razuki on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:14 pm

south carmain wrote:
myshtuff wrote:

I recoomend either doing loads of test runs changing parts to see which ones will give you the most optimal time or just looking up a guide on the internet, the second option is probably the best but you still need to do substories and buy stuff at dream machines to get the rare parts.

You'll need a lot of money to get the really good parts, and by a lot, we are talking about millions of Yen. A good way to make a quick buck is to stock up on Staminan Royale (Kotobugi Drugs) and find Mr Shakedown and beat him. He will always give you at least something like 6 million, sometimes even 8 digit amounts of money for just one fight.

OK, spoilers ahead on one of the substories you'll need for the racing. I just figured that out today, hopefully I'm remembering it correctly.

There's this shady guy in the cul-de-sac on the southern end of the shopping area (you know, those side streets where Kiryu can go up and down some stairs). Approach him and it will trigger a cutscene involving the shady guy and one of his customers. Talk to the merchant guy. He won't sell to Kiriyu without hearing the password from him. So follow the customer. Get the password from him and go back. The Merchant sells a very good engine and a very good frame for your car at 10 million each. Frame and engine alone will still leave your car far from perfect, but they're a start.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Early on in the game the best way I found to make money was to get the nouveau riche upgrade since you can get 4 million from beating each one, helping people being mugged which often gives you ruby plates that can be sold for 10 million or grind the men in suits at the top of the map who will give you 1 million per fight if you fight well. Otherwise you can just be patient and wait until you can do the real estate side wuest that will give you so much money even a hundred million will feel like peanuts.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming