Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Himuro » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:54 pm

OL wrote:
[color="orange"]Part of me kind of hates the attention though; I've seen videos now of reviewers and gaming press folks lavishing it with praise and having dorky fun with karaoke and whatnot, laughing and having a good time... when, I swear to god, these are the same kinds of people who turned their noses up at that kind of stuff in earlier games. The same kinds of people who scoffed at earlier games for having "stiff animations," groaned because the side-stories aren't fully-voiced, or who flipped the first two games the bird just because of fixed camera angles during exploration. The same kinds of people who always point the finger and criticize series like this for being yearly, for only making incremental changes from game to game.
Now all these people are saying "Great game, we should all play it!" when I already know and fully expect it to basically be more of the same. With some incremental changes.
Not that it'll diminish my enjoyment of it, it's just irritating to see such a vast amount of hypocrites in the gaming/online press.[/color]

I feel similarly. I've been there since Yakuza 1 and all this hype for 0 makes me happy for the series but at the same time, I'm really bitter. If any of you posted on Neogaf when the first game came out, you'd know that I made the OT for both the first and second games there and hyped them as much as I could. Yakuza 1 bombed spectacularly and we had to wait years for Yakuza 2 because the first game bombed. And now all of these people who turned their noses at the series this entire time are interested? I dunno. I know I should be really happy for the series, and I really am, but I can't help but feel bitter about it.

I mean, look at this shit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117662

Gamespot gave it a 7.4

I really tried to do my part and help the series. My posts were deleted but you can see the quoted posts. Love the shout out Irish Ninja gave me in the Yakuza 0 OT. :P

This will be my first Kazuma Kiryu Simulator since 4. Looking forward to it.

Himuro has received a thanks from: OL
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kintor » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:03 pm

Ziming wrote: Regardless of what you think of his style of game reviews he's given Yakuza 0 quite a bit of publicity.

phpBB [video]

I'm not always fond of Angry Joe's style but I think he's given Yakuza 0 a great review. It's no hypocritical, in the sense that Joe still mentions how choices with gameplay mechanics and presentation might still annoy him but he ends up loving Yakuza 0 anyway. The whole video is honestly a great showcase of everything the game has to offer.

Anyway, I got hold of my copy of Yakuza 0 yesterday and I'm absolutely loving it. Too early to say if this will surpass Yakuza 4 as my favourite Yakuza game but I think that it just might. I've only spent enough time so far to complete Chapter 1 but it feels good get back into the rhythm of a Yakuza game.

Plus, now that I'm in Chapter 2 I can finally hit the arcades and play some Space Harrier and Out Run. 8)

Now I just need to find the time to steadily complete the game. No small feat since I'm also picking up Digimon World: Next Order at the end of the week. What can I say; January has turned into a surprisingly busy period for gaming.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:15 pm

Are these guys taking the piss

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Axm, myshtuff
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Himuro » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:29 pm

No. The team is Amusement Vision. It's in the 80's so they put a Shenmue reference (Game You). It's a nod out of respect. Nagoshi used to work at AM2 and directed Daytona USA. He and Suzuki are pals and if I recall, Nagoshi himself worked on Shenmue but I could be wrong.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:32 pm

Yea I know. It was a joke. I am aware of the development teams association with AM2.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Himuro » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:33 pm

Loving Kiryu's haircut in this.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:41 pm

It would be very funny if the casual reviewers that aren't into the series give it so much hype and it ends up being the worst one :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Though 3 was pretty tame/bad.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Yakuza series

Postby Axm » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:30 pm

south carmain wrote:Yakuza 0 looks so awesome. Can't wait for tomorrow so that I can virtually oppress women and bath in the greatness of arachaic gender roles perpetuated by a patriarchal misogynic japanese society. Banzai!

You know what? I don't even like the Yakuza games but when it comes to misogyny i'm all in! I'll tell my Japanese wife to buy it for me, or else. Arigato toyota kawasaki!
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:49 pm

Shocked to find that I actually got the package of this and Gravity Rush today, rather than tomorrow.
Not starting this yet, though. I think GR is probably shorter, so I'll do it first, but it's painful trying to ignore this all the same.

Ziming wrote:Regardless of what you think of his style of game reviews he's given Yakuza 0 quite a bit of publicity.

And regardless of whatever publicity he's given the game, he's still an unoriginal, talentless cunt whose videos I refuse to click on.
God, that guy sucks.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:23 am

??? angry joe is highly talented.

If I'm not mistaken he knows quite a lot about filmmaking (being in the top 5 in his college), also there was a video of him talking about the different types of montage through history and their aesthetic value that was pretty high standard for what youtube "lectures" go.

He also had quite a bit of short experimental films from when he was younger, I think he used a pseudonim, but some had great quality (for almost no budget indie projects).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby OL » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:50 am

...okay.
Doesn't make his youtube channel any more worthwhile. Or his inarticulate babbling any more bearable.
Only seen a couple videos by him, and I have no reason to see any more.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:07 am

I don't think his videos are the best, but I gotta say, the backgrounds and cg and stuff he does is really good.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:28 am

I just watched the Angry Joe review and this game looks Yakuza as fuck. Glad I ordered it. :lol:
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:24 am

May all the people who turned up their noses and scoffed at Shenmue be just as hypocritical in December (or whenever). Bring it on, I say.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, OL
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Himuro » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:31 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: May all the people who turned up their noses and scoffed at Shenmue be just as hypocritical in December (or whenever). Bring it on, I say.

I just KNOW that will piss me the fuck off after YEARS of Shenmue being treated like a joke, but it would be sweet, sweet justice and I would take much satisfaction is pissing in every single former hater's cereal.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming