Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby GYO6161 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:52 pm

Is the kiwami getting english dub like yakuza1?
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:42 pm

Really surprised how much Sony are backing this series. Can't say I have much interest in going back and playing the original again but I'll be playing Zero and 6 for sure.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Monkei
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:49 pm

GYO6161 wrote: Is the kiwami getting english dub like yakuza1?

No. Vocals were re-recorded in Japanese for this game. English dubs for this series thankfully died since Yakuza 2..

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: OL
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby GYO6161 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:28 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:
GYO6161 wrote: Is the kiwami getting english dub like yakuza1?

No. Vocals were re-recorded in Japanese for this game. English dubs for this series thankfully died since Yakuza 2..

ugh that sucks, i really wanted a dub, oh well :|
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Yakuza series

Postby Axm » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:30 pm

So now the west is getting all the Yakuza releases? Cool.
Let me know when a collection bundle pack featuring all 597 releases is announced. Then ill try to get back into this dry rock sega's keeps trying to squeeze a story out of.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Monkei » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:17 am

^ The story isn't really what people play these games for, at least not mainly. And as for getting all the Yakuza releases now, I don't know how likely that is. So far it looks great for the main entries. Whether that means we'll also get the next Kenzan or another zombie spin-off or whatever else still remains to be seen. Since I didn't get into the series until Yakuza 3 I'm crossing my fingers for Kiwami 2 (or 2 Kiwami).
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:31 am

Monkei wrote: ^ The story isn't really what people play these games for, at least not mainly.

'Ey, speak for yourself. The story is the whole point of these games for me. Gang politics, toughguy posturing, and a good touch of distinctly-Japanese ridiculousness. I love these friggin stories.
Yakuza 5 excluded. The story is weak as hell in that one.

OL has received a thanks from: Monkei
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:13 am

phpBB [video]
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:57 am

OL wrote:
Monkei wrote: ^ The story isn't really what people play these games for, at least not mainly.

'Ey, speak for yourself. The story is the whole point of these games for me. Gang politics, toughguy posturing, and a good touch of distinctly-Japanese ridiculousness. I love these friggin stories.
Yakuza 5 excluded. The story is weak as hell in that one.

Having played nothing but] the story I'm not even speaking for myself there. :p I assumed for many of you it was more about the distinctly-Japanese ridiculousness and all the kinds of crazyness around the main path.

Guess it's simply the whole package that makes it what it is.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Yakuza series

Postby Axm » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:25 am

I always harp on the series here and you're probably all tired of it but.. fuck it im sorry cause I wanna harp some more.
If it wasn't for the arcady button mashy combat I would probably like this series. Other things I find annoying like the recycled sound effects that never appealed to me and overly convoluted story for the sake of perpetuating the series further, but in the end its the combat.

I played the full version of 6 in a game store here last week for about an hour. While I liked the graphical updates it still just had that clunky feel to it and I couldn't get over it again. I try try try with this series. My heart says I should love it but my brain just cant do it.

Also considering ive already lived in Japan back and forth since Yakuza 1, the Japanese city wonderment thing has never drawn me in. Ive been to Kabukicho and greater Tokyo a stupid amount of times. I'm already going back again in March for a baseball tournament after being there with Peter a few months ago. So I dont need a game to get my rocks off on it. Don't want to be arrogant about it but its just true. imo I like Osaka and Fukuoka more anyways.

Axm has received a thanks from: Monkei
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Monkei » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:22 am

Axm wrote:Other things I find annoying like the recycled sound effects

That Saejima snow area in Yakuza 5 had an incredicly short loop for the wind blowing through the forests there, at least that's how I perceived it. Really annoyed me, too. :lol:

I played the full version of 6 in a game store here last week for about an hour. While I liked the graphical updates it still just had that clunky feel to it and I couldn't get over it again. I try try try with this series. My heart says I should love it but my brain just cant do it.

I can relate. It still didn't fully click with me either, even though I'm playing it since Yakuza 3. I've got a hunch that click will finally happen with Yakuza Zero though, with new modern hardware and all. Yakuza 6 still feeling clunky to you has me kinda worried now, since that clunkyness and those long, oftentimes dull dialogues were my main reasons to ignore everything except the main story paths. But we'll see. I still really wanna play the next Yakuza game.. it's a weird relationship so far.

Also considering ive already lived in Japan back and forth since Yakuza 1, the Japanese city wonderment thing has never drawn me in.

I always wondered whether something like that was the main reason for Shenmue not being bigger in Japan..

EDIT: Oh, and OL - you still haven't finished 5, right? Because I felt that the baseball guy's story kinda made up a little for some of the other chapters. It has less of the gang politics and stuff, but felt really refreshing after having forced myself through Haruka's part and some other unpleasent things.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:16 am

I love the Yakuza series, warts and all, and welcome any Western releases. Kiwami is a stupid name to hold onto for the English-speaking market though.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Peter » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:12 am

What exactly is Kiwami? From the trailer last night, is it a side story, or remakes for the first games?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:21 am

It's a remake of the first game, with Kiwami meaning "Extreme," or so I gather.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Peter
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:28 pm

Here are videos that should explain Yakuza Kiwami a bit better :

Tokyo Game Show announcement trailer subbed in English.
phpBB [video]

Your Next Favourite from HyperBitHero.
phpBB [video]

I also recommend his other two videos on the series as a whole, and Zero separately.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming