Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:21 am

Crimson Ryan wrote: Image

Achieved this a few days ago but only feel like gloating about it now. How's everyone else liking the game?

Bravo.

Kiwami is awesome; love the facelift that 1 was given and I love the addition of Mushi King (played it in Japan and it was INTENSE).

Don't like the addition of Pocket Circuit (though how they tied in the stories from 0 was fantastic), especially since it is tons more difficult and Majima Everywhere got old in the 7th chapter.

Oh and Nagoshi wanted to remix the songs to be more modern... WELL THEY'RE WORSE!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Scarlet Scar was an acoustic wonder, now the guitar is drowned out :evil:
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:02 pm

south carmain wrote:Where's the 0 trophy?

Haven't played Kiwami yet. PS4 still broke unfortunately.

Did I forget to show this one? I certainly don't forget to polish it..

Truck_1_0_1_ wrote:Bravo.

Kiwami is awesome; love the facelift that 1 was given and I love the addition of Mushi King (played it in Japan and it was INTENSE).

Don't like the addition of Pocket Circuit (though how they tied in the stories from 0 was fantastic), especially since it is tons more difficult and Majima Everywhere got old in the 7th chapter.

Oh and Nagoshi wanted to remix the songs to be more modern... WELL THEY'RE WORSE!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Scarlet Scar was an acoustic wonder, now the guitar is drowned out :evil:

I also thought the Pocket Circuit stories were quite funny, even though the activity itself was a grind.

The only previous experience I had of the first Yakuza was a single playthrough on a borrowed PS2, so the whole game was rather fresh to me. Same with Yakuza 2. Many thanks still to Henry for sending me the game as a birthday present!

What I really hope is they don't remix the Blue Scar Blues song from Yakuza 2 in the next Kiwami remake. So fond of that song I still listen occasionally now..

phpBB [video]

Crimson Ryan has received 3 thanks from: south carmain, Truck_1_0_1_, Your Boy Leroy
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Damn, I was working on the 0 trophy when my ps4 broke. Good job, that must have taken at least a hundred hours.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:29 am

south carmain wrote: Damn, I was working on the 0 trophy when my ps4 broke. Good job, that must have taken at least a hundred hours.

There were things I enjoyed doing and some that were absolute slogs.

I taught myself to play the gambling parlour games (incidentally in Kiwami I blasted through mahjong and all associated CP in one sitting) and enjoyed the real estate & cabaret minigames.

The worst was definitely split between the cat fighting arena and the weapons and gear searching. The latter literally took me a week to complete. Thank fuck I left that until last. The trophies popped for those and I haven't touched it since.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:57 am

Crimson Ryan wrote:
Truck_1_0_1_ wrote:Bravo.

I also thought the Pocket Circuit stories were quite funny, even though the activity itself was a grind.

The only previous experience I had of the first Yakuza was a single playthrough on a borrowed PS2, so the whole game was rather fresh to me. Same with Yakuza 2. Many thanks still to Henry for sending me the game as a birthday present!

What I really hope is they don't remix the Blue Scar Blues song from Yakuza 2 in the next Kiwami remake. So fond of that song I still listen occasionally now..

phpBB [video]

Mhm, a great song indeed.

For Kiwami 2 in Japan, it'll be there, most-likely (I'd have to think), but I'd also have to think it won't make it over for NA, as the music licensing in 2017 is horrid, apparently (the guys who translated the other titles said that its a nightmare try and get the songs over and since it rarely if ever happens, they don't pursue it too much).

We'll see; playing 0 without Shonan no Kaze's tunes are simply not the same!

Also stopped bothering with Catfights, because its simply too ridiculous; I just did the CP-related things and left it at that; I sadly don't have the time to devote to THAT.

I'm enjoying Nightlife Island a lot more in English, than I did in Japanese and the opposite is true for Real Estate. Already got the silver for Real Estate and I should get the silver for Nightlife either today or tomorrow!
Truck_1_0_1_

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:00 am

Just finished 0 (for the second time) last night and, after playing the entire series (save for 1 and 2 on PS2, the Kurohyos and Kenzan!) over again since then, I honestly have to say that 0 is NOT as good as I remember it to be.

I still put it as 3rd best in the series (don't think it'll be unseated any time soon), but I found pacing issues this time around, as well as a ton of slowdown (which I NEVER had in the PS3 version, oddly) throughout the game. Add to that, the story is not as strong as I thought it was, with the beginning and mid-game being middling at best; gets superb towards the end.

People bagged to death on the bosses of 5 (will not spoil it since I know some of you haven't played it to the end) and 6, but
Shibusawa
is truly nothing special; in fact, I found him to be fairly anticlimactic and mediocre. He does nothing until the final 3 chapters, then all of a sudden comes out being this mastermind, with intentions to take over everything, etc. IMO, he is just as random and out of the blue, as the bosses of 5 and 6. Still an awesome character though.

Thus, after platinuming 6 and replaying 0, my list of the best to worst games in the series (from my POV) is:

5 > 3 > 0 > Ishin! > 6 > Kurohyo 2: Ashura Hen > Kiwami > Kenzan! > 2 > 4 > 1 > Kurohyo: Shinso > Dead Souls

There truly isn't a bad title in the series though, the entire thing is quality title after quality title.

Anyways, I'll shut up about things, since I talk too much and looking forward to Kiwami 2 in a couple of months! :D
Truck_1_0_1_

Postby south carmain » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:03 am

Do you speak Japanese, Truck?
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:13 am

50 words, maybe? lol not at all, I wish!

I borrowed a buddy's PS2 and used my sister's PS3 in September 2012 and I played 1-Dead Souls all in sequence.

It got me so hyped, I researched the series in-depth, researched the backstory in-depth, then immediately pre-ordered 5.

I've gotten the Japanese version of each game ever since, just so I can play it right away. As for the story, you can basically tell what's going on (like when the poltiican is shot in 5, you knew it was Baba), but for finer details, the Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza community is fantastic and super helpful; if they didn't exist, I could not play them in Japanese, when they are released.

I apologise for the essay lol, like I said, I talk too much :$
Truck_1_0_1_

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:01 pm

Launch edition announced to come with a free art book and cover art announced:

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:07 pm

I have the After Hours edition on preorder so hard. Since I don't use Blu-ray discs with my PS4, I'll be sending that to Dorian and double dipping on the digital edition.

You missed the new trailer, Riku!

phpBB [video]

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:23 pm

I also have the after hours edition on pre-order. I have never pre-ordered a Yakuza game, but I really liked what came in this package. Also good to see I am not the only one that has kept up with Dorian, even though its usually brief but hes one of the biggest Yakuza heads there is.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:37 pm

Interesting trailer. In the way it's narrated you can tell that they're assuming a large part of their potential buyers are newcomers introduced to the series though 0. Not a bad thing in my opinion.

I never preorder anything but Yakuza always makes me question my principles so I'll definitely be preordering this. The after hours edition is pretty badass too and imo well worth the extra 30 euros it costs.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:57 am

Kiwami Steelbook Edition is $15 on amazon right now.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby DL30 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Yakuza Kiwami is $20.09 and Yakuza 0 is $29.99 right now on PSN(Black Friday sale,it ends on the 28th)
DL30

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:46 am

phpBB [video]
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming