Great Gaming Designs and Artwork

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Favorite Gaming Characters, Designs, and Artwork

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:04 am

Well Kaneko is a director at Atlus now, so he's gotten more influence over the games than he did before. The last game he directed, Strange Journey, was released in 2009 (Japan)/2010 (USA) so I dare say they are working on the next SMT game. I'll be so excited if it's SMT4 for PS3/360! Imagine the cel shaded look of Nocturne brought to this generation of games. Will be so beautiful to look at, hot damn (there was so many of them last gen from Japanese developers: Killer7, Wind Waker, Nocturne; come on developers give me some THIS gen, the only example that comes to mind is Metal Gear AC!D 2 and even then, that's on a handheld). Hell, even if it's another spin off, but released for PS3/360 it should be a thing of beauty.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:51 pm

El Shaddai was cell shaded.
But yeah, a next-gen SMT with Kaneko's style would be amazing. Atlus's games are rarely graphical powerhouses by any means, but the art design throws them over the top into "absolutely beautiful" territory.
Not sure if you're there yet, but I seem to remember a pyramid area in Nocturne really impressing me. And the Amala Network looked great, with all the movement in its floors and ceilings.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Re: Favorite gaming Character designs & Characters and why

Postby wude » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:20 pm

OL wrote:Was just looking through a list of various demons from the MegaTen series, and this one just stood right out (not that SMT demons ever blend in by any means; they're usually pretty unique and interesting regardless).
Asherah from Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey.

Yeah yeah, OL's a pervert.
Even more than the female form, however, I just found it surprising how striking the design comes off, despite the general lack of popping color or fine detail. It's unique and it stands out, and it doesn't have to blind you to do it. Even if it were a male body, it would still be an excellent design.

Asherah( 'sheerah), means female companion, she's the wife of god in the old torah.., i love those kind of characters
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:29 pm

^Then you should really play the Shin Megami Tensei series. Every single game has tons and I mean tons of references to all belief systems; Buddhism, Muslim, Sikh, Christianity and (especially) Occultism. Lots there for people like me who is fascinated by all belief systems.

OL wrote:El Shaddai was cell shaded.
But yeah, a next-gen SMT with Kaneko's style would be amazing. Atlus's games are rarely graphical powerhouses by any means, but the art design throws them over the top into "absolutely beautiful" territory.
Not sure if you're there yet, but I seem to remember a pyramid area in Nocturne really impressing me. And the Amala Network looked great, with all the movement in its floors and ceilings.

True, that one I forgot about! Then there's No More Heroes 1 & 2. Still, gimme more. Not up to the areas you described yet, just at the bit where
Gozu-Tennoh, head of the Mantra, has been beaten by Hikawa, about to fight Hell Biker.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:45 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:^Then you should really play the Shin Megami Tensei series. Every single game has tons and I mean tons of references to all belief systems; Buddhism, Muslim, Sikh, Christianity and (especially) Occultism. Lots there for people like me who is fascinated by all belief systems.

Yeah, that's one of the many things I love about the series. They even like to go super-obscure as well. There's one demon called Yurlungur which is derived from Australian Aboriginal mythology. They reach into any and every culture they possibly can to find demons to put in these games.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:29 am

Zonk

Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Calshot » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:42 am

I've been wanting to get into the Shin Megami Tensei series, but there are so many games, I'm not sure where to start.

@Henry
Afro Samurai, Catherine, and Madworld were also cel-shaded.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Bluecast » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:58 am

Zak & Wiki,EarthSeeker,Okamiden,Solatorobo,Tatsunoko Vs Capcom,SF IV,Arc Rise Fantasia,TOS2,De blob,De blob 2 Also all have Cel shading
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:16 am

Calshot wrote:I've been wanting to get into the Shin Megami Tensei series, but there are so many games, I'm not sure where to start.

Digital Devil Saga is a great place to start. It was my first, and it's the one that got me hooked.
It's the perfect jumping-on point because the structure of the game is closer to something like Final Fantasy, very story-based and whatnot. It also offers a great introduction to the press-turn system (the MegaTen series' signature gameplay reliance on attacking weaknesses), but isn't quite as unforgiving and difficult as the previous game, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.
DDS should be somewhere under 30 bucks on Amazon too, as should its sequel.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:58 pm

OL2?

Was it just me who thought that DDS (the first game at least) was more unforgiving than Nocturne (Lucifer's calls)? Personally I would recommend the later as a better starting point. Especially as the DDS doesn't become truly amazing until you have the context of the second game.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:15 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Several miles tall on it's fucking Knee. It's kinda eery but cool at night when on Bionis looking up at the sky and seeing all those red eyes. Just amazing walking around in the game and have this thing from different angles towering over you miles above.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL2 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:02 pm

mue 26 wrote:OL2?

Something's wrong with my other login. Haven't heard anything back about it yet.
OL2

Postby Bluecast » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Yes you have I emailed you and PM'ed you
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:05 pm

Didn't check the PM, but yeah, just saw the email. Thanks much. :nice!:

mue 26 wrote:Was it just me who thought that DDS (the first game at least) was more unforgiving than Nocturne (Lucifer's calls)? Personally I would recommend the later as a better starting point. Especially as the DDS doesn't become truly amazing until you have the context of the second game.

One of the hardest things about Nocturne is the manner of leveling up and gaining new skills (which can screw you over pretty bad if you overwrite a skill that would eventually be useful later on), along with the processes of recruiting and fusing demons, which has a certain level of complexity to it. DDS is much more forgiving in these aspects because it just deals with a skill grid, where you can swap out whatever skills you need, and choose to learn new ones at will. It's mainly because of that that I find it more forgiving, personally. Feels more like a Final Fantasy in a way, while Nocturne is kind of an unusually brutal experience during its latter half.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:08 pm

No probs
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming