Catherine

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Catherine

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:47 am

People said it gets hard and yes it does. Act 5 is a bitch when the ice cubes come into it.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:48 am

Gameplay to me looks like a 3D Q*Bert
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:11 pm

For those in the UK without this the 360 version is £16 on Shopto but oddly £22 on PS3.

http://www.shopto.net/xbox360/XB2CA35-catherine
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:27 pm

I finished it about a week ago and enjoyed playing it since it's very different from other things out there. There were actually some really well done tense moments during the story. And I liked the fact that the gameplay was different and how some story elements revealed themselves subtly. Besides that the gameplay was a metaphor for what happened in the story so I think it's odd to criticize the game for it. I mean, MUST we have another FPS or cover based shooter? I like action/shooter games but have always liked some odd games in between. I think that some of the outrage has to do with the fact that the industry got more mainstream and attracted a lot of new gamers. Who then equal gaming with the mainstream releases of course.
Last edited by ys on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:43 pm

I didn't like what I played of the Demo so I took this off my wishlist. Nothing about it appeals to me. Playing Q*bert with a guy in boxers. Meh. I'm sure there is more to it not in the demo. Still main gameplay just is a real meh to me.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby ys » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:00 pm

It's not that everyone has to like it of course. You dislike it because the gameplay doesn't appeal you, fine. I just thought some of the rage was ridiculous since I saw angry reactions about the fact that the game was different. As if they took it personally that someone released something not as mainstream :P

As a sidenote, I didn't find the demo that impressive either but got much more into the game when I started playing. Mainly due to the story and the conversations I guess. And moving those blocks didn't bother me really. It gets very tough at times but it always felt as a very old school challenge in a way.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:03 pm

I just feel bad I don't like it. Mainly because niche games are usually my ally and I try and support them esp when quirky and stylish.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby ys » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm a bit the same but no worries. From what I've read it is Atlus's most successful game ever. The article that I read mentioned 500 000 sold copies which was more than needed for the company.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:31 am

Bluecast wrote: I just feel bad I don't like it. Mainly because niche games are usually my ally and I try and support them esp when quirky and stylish.

I think, if it ever drops in price far enough, you should try it again. The demo is obviously a bit limited. It only shows the bare bones of what the games ends up doing, and it doesn't get anywhere near the real meat of the story.
The gameplay is such that as you keep progressing, and as you keep overcoming new obstacles in different ways, it starts to get addicting. You're constantly learning new ways to do things with the admittedly simple mechanics, and the game keeps surprising you with how unexpectedly deep and functional it actually is. It eventually gets to a near-Tetris kind of addictiveness, and the story does an incredibly good job of constantly urging you forward.

It's not a game for everyone, so I fully understand if it just never really grabs you. But at the very least I'd still recommend trying the full game, as the demo doesn't even scratch the surface of its appeal.

OL has received a thanks from: Bluecast
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:41 am

Yeah not like I bought Enslaved and liked it after hating the demo or anything........ :theyareontome:

Bluecast has received a thanks from: OL
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Tuffty » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:15 am

Completed it there this morning. Cool game, I like it a lot, both the gameplay and the core conceit of it. After all how many games do you know of nowadays tackles relationships and adultery? I will say that there are some difficulty spikes in random places, like the first couple of levels in the final stage was crazy hard but the final ones were completed on the first go. And it's also difficult to plan moves ahead when you're on a constant timer and a boss monster behind you, but other than that the game kept itself interesting and revealed it's depth more and more as it goes on that makes it fun to play. Gonna see if I can beat the Babel stages now, though I just can't get past the first one. Someday though!!

*ENDING SPOILERS*

I got the Katherine True ending, which was what I was playing for, but was still fairly dull. For what it was trying to convey, of Vincent and Katherine happy and peaceful together, the Good ending was better at doing that rather than the True ending's sudden wedding scene with little chemistry. The Catherine True ending though is by far the best ending! Was laughing all the way through.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:27 pm

I got the
wedding ending. Was ok but felt a little rushed

Really got back into the game and have started my next play. This time I'll go for thechaos choices.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Coming to PlayStation Plus next month. :D

QWERTY has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:00 pm

^FUCK YEEEEEEEES!!!!

Sorry, just never played this and I fucking love Atlus games, so well excited to hear that.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby QWERTY » Fri May 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Started playing this last night. Really enjoying it so far. What with this and Sleeping Dogs I seem to be slowly getting back into gaming other than the unending addiction to football games. It's a very bizarre game, granted, but it's fucking hilarious and it doesn't force the humour in the same way as something like No More Heroes did. Which I need to pick up and play again but just can't get impetus to start all over. I don't like leaving a game for an age and then attempt to pick up from where I left off, it doesn't feel right.

But yeah... Catherine. I'm enjoying it. Fucking weird though.

QWERTY has received a thanks from: OL
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming