PSVita (PSP2)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: NGP new handheld from Sony

Postby Panda_rapist » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:35 am

well they do seem to be getting better, the ps3 was alot harder then the psp to crack and they were in a war with the hackerz over the psp with there update system and forcing you to patch games etc so im one things for sure is that they mean seriouz buiznezz
especially sony have had it pretty hard since the ps1 when it comes to this kind of stuff :lol:
Panda_rapist

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:39 am

I'm sorry to mention it again but I'm hard for Ys8, i know its gunna happen and I'm going to have dreams about it until they make an announcement. ohhhh man. Hey maybe we'll get a 4 and 5 remake or they'll port origins, no need to worry about power now.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:40 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:I'm sorry to mention it again but I'm hard for Ys8, i know its gunna happen and I'm going to have dreams about it until they make an announcement. ohhhh man. Hey maybe we'll get a 4 and 5 remake or they'll port origins, no need to worry about power now.

Us both for more ys.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:59 am

This news makes me very happy indeed. PSP is one of my favourite handheld systems (really underrated with tons of great games). I'm definitely swaying more towards this over the 3DS, which has not impressed me at all with its lineup (only want Mega Man Legends 3 and Resi Evil: Revelations, that's it).

Here's an interesting comparison:
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:28 am

Having the power of the PS3 on a handheld is fucking impressive but the only game I really care for is Uncharted. I hope they announce more games at E3 that I'm intrested in or it will be some time before I buy it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Clint » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:48 pm

It is ridiculous how good technology is getting.

How the fucking hell does something as small and thin as that have the power of a PS3?

I've got a feeling Nintendo might lose the next handheld war - if that's what you wanna call it.

Personally, i'm not getting either. I see no point in handheld gaming when I can play on a big screen in the comfort of my own home. I prefer to play with a controller and see the games on a big HD screen.

It looks like a tremendous piece of kit, however. Are there any gameplay videos out there?
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:55 pm

How would DS lose the war?
People say that since 1989 and each time are wrong they esp went on about it WHen PSP and DS were announced.
They have always had the disadvantage of tech but always had the best 3rd party support.
Not to mention 3DS is BC with DS. I want both and both look great but fail to see how the DS will lose. It still will have the best 3rd party support and games cheaper to develop for and no doubt like any Nintendo handheld will fly off shelves.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Clint » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:23 pm

Ryudo wrote:How would DS lose the war?
People say that since 1989 and each time are wrong they esp went on about it WHen PSP and DS were announced.
They have always had the disadvantage of tech but always had the best 3rd party support.
Not to mention 3DS is BC with DS. I want both and both look great but fail to see how the DS will lose. It still will have the best 3rd party support and games cheaper to develop for and no doubt like any Nintendo handheld will fly off shelves.

I have no doubt anything Nintendo put their name to will sell big. They are masters of marketing.

But in all honesty, from what I can see, Nintendo have just gotten owned. Sony really arn't messing about this time. I think price will be key, but I just don't have a clue how much something like this would cost. 400 bucks perhaps?

As soon as Call of Duty and FPS games hit this console, the sales will start to roll in. You know what the casuals are like. Playing COD on a handheld in PS3 graphics will be hard to ignore.

And what does 1989 have to do with anything? The past is the past. You know how easy people can jump ship.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Still fail as you are going on about tech.
That means nothing it never made sales better,worse actually. Sony was not messing around the first time.
Nintendo wii may suck ballsack but they still make the best handhelds.
FPS don't always do that great on small screens,they do ok but not like RPGs,Novel games,fighting games and platformers plus the broad range of genres DS has that PSP while great selection pales in comparison.

Anyway whatever. Time will tell but I will bet my whole collection DS will simply leave any competition in the dust.
Though at the end of the day sales are sales but just give me the games and VGcharts can shove it's stats in it's dookey hole.
:P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Clint » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Ryudo wrote:Still fail as you are going on about tech.
That means nothing it never made sales better,worse actually. Sony was not messing around the first time.
Nintendo wii may suck ballsack but they still make the best handhelds.
FPS don't always do that great on small screens,they do ok but not like RPGs,Novel games,fighting games and platformers plus the broad range of genres DS has that PSP while great selection pales in comparison.

Anyway whatever. Time will tell but I will bet my whole collection DS will simply leave any competition in the dust.
Though at the end of the day sales are sales but just give me the games and VGcharts can shove it's stats in it's dookey hole.
:P

No, tech means nothing to you. It means a lot to me, especially when considering buying a console. Which isn't cheap these days.

That's the difference between you and me, I want the best tech available as it gives me the best gaming experience. I'm not much of a handheld gamer, but it's hard to look past this NGP and not be amazed. I believe games these days need the top graphics, gameplay and emotion. We are getting very close to nailing facial animation and replicating realistic environments.

Now looking at both handhelds, I would choose the NGP purely on a technical standpoint. And I would absolutely say the same if both handhelds switched brands.

As for your FPS comment, you are forgetting that this handheld can (apparantly) emulate that of the current-gen home console. If you think that falls in comparison with the DS/PSP era then you're sadly mistaken. This is now something else entirely and FPS games are (unfortunately) where the money lies. It's just a matter of them taking off on a handheld - which will surely be possible now, given the high-spec.

FPS wasn't exactly booming back on the PS2/XBox/DS/PSP era. I'm sure this time things will change.

And your opinion on the 'best handheld' means nothing to me. I'm not a handheld gamer and I don't know why you're even mentioning this. We like different games, different consoles and disagree on almost everything. Saying one is better than the other isn't necessarily true. It would surely be dependant on the gamers personal taste. You speak of the past like it makes all the difference. Fuck the past, i'm talking about the future here.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:16 pm

Was not talking about being a graphics whore. Just higher spec systems sell worse and less 3rd party support.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:12 pm

Colour me impressed!!

Damn... Pity games don't evolve as fast as tech does...

I want more and better games announced for this console.
Nintendo is already owned, by a long shot, still let' see if that reflects on sales. We all know the best is not always the best selling, sadly.

There are tech demos and some gameplay vids.
Let me find them for you.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip8CtIXaIJg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cbgA-VnXQ4[/youtube]
Last edited by ThyDarkAngel on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:17 pm

Clint wrote:It looks like a tremendous piece of kit, however. Are there any gameplay videos out there?

Skipping the last few posts. Yes, here's Uncharted on it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsAq-sMLTEw[/youtube]

Kotaku hands-on to accompany the video..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:35 pm

ThyDarkAngel wrote:Colour me impressed!!

Damn... Pity games don't evolve as fast as tech does...

I want more and better games announced for this console.
Nintendo is already owned, by a long shot, still let' see if that reflects on sales. We all know the best is not always the best selling, sadly.

How? Theres about 6 tentative games announced for it in general, many of them extensions of console games. No matter how you look at it, its not going to be less expensive then 3DS and just because it has ps3 dev tools, ps3 development is still expensive and it launches at the end of the year.

Console/handheld wars are fought with software. Yea an Uncharted on handheld is tempting, is it worth looking past solid 1st party support? or the quirky 3rd part stuff we all enjoy.

As it stands the situation is the same as it was 6 years ago. but with two different players.

Clint wrote:No, tech means nothing to you. It means a lot to me, especially when considering buying a console. Which isn't cheap these days.

That's the difference between you and me, I want the best tech available as it gives me the best gaming experience. I'm not much of a handheld gamer, but it's hard to look past this NGP and not be amazed. I believe games these days need the top graphics, gameplay and emotion. We are getting very close to nailing facial animation and replicating realistic environments.

Now looking at both handhelds, I would choose the NGP purely on a technical standpoint. And I would absolutely say the same if both handhelds switched brands.

As for your FPS comment, you are forgetting that this handheld can (apparantly) emulate that of the current-gen home console. If you think that falls in comparison with the DS/PSP era then you're sadly mistaken. This is now something else entirely and FPS games are (unfortunately) where the money lies. It's just a matter of them taking off on a handheld - which will surely be possible now, given the high-spec.

FPS wasn't exactly booming back on the PS2/XBox/DS/PSP era. I'm sure this time things will change.

And your opinion on the 'best handheld' means nothing to me. I'm not a handheld gamer and I don't know why you're even mentioning this. We like different games, different consoles and disagree on almost everything. Saying one is better than the other isn't necessarily true. It would surely be dependant on the gamers personal taste. You speak of the past like it makes all the difference. Fuck the past, i'm talking about the future here.

I dunno about you but in the 20 years I've been playing games I go with software not tech, thats what really sells a system and in the end is the important part. A console can tell you that secret of the universe is 42, if it has no games its little more then a paperweight.

Now back in 2005 the Ps2 was most gamers console of choice and the PSP was able to make good on the same types of games. The Ps3 was still 2 years off, and the PSP was the most advanced thing anyone had ever seen, yet the handheld that was slightly more powerful then a last gen console still won out. The FPS was on the rise, back then Halo was setting records and one of the things Sony was hyping was its FPS selection at launch which included Coded Arms.

The past gives us clues to the future, by studying how things react we can appropriately measure their response to our actions. If in over 20 years the same situation crops up and over those 20 years has the same outcome, then its understandable if people draw certain conclusions.

You both have your points but as it stands we need to wait and see
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:53 pm

What Clint meant was you naturally hope for a powerhouse, specially if you're going to have to pay a lot for it.
Obviously what he cares most about is the same we all do: great games. And concerning games, if the Psp library is any sort of hint, both consoles will have a good deal of them.

I'm starting to hear some rumours pointing to almost 500 dollars... Just rumours, mind you. If that number ends up being it's true cost... ouch!
That could change it's chances of commercial sucess.

Personally, I'm with Clint on this one.
I'm not a handheld player and having to pay a lot of money for such a system, even if it has fantastics specs, doesn't interest me.

To me it would be much more natural to have handhelds at cheap prices with technology far behind the tech from home consoles.
If I want to experience a top notch title I will not favour a small screen and a start-spot-restart-stop-restart again playtrough.

Simple (while not basic), pick and play videogames and durable handhelds that wouldn't leave you broke would be alluring.
The way they are they look impressive and even start to live up to it, also they have a nice library of titles that is only growing better with each passing year, but they end up as more of curiosities to me.

That's just me.
A handheld can be a golden goose.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming