dev comment of the day topic

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: dev comment of the day topic

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:52 pm

I guess they don't see it selling as well outside Japan? If that's the case why not just translate the text to English and release it on Games on demand and PSN to save money?

Its what i wish they had done with the Wrestle Kingdom game on XBox 360.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:54 pm

The one Capcom game that looks any good they fuck us again. I'm going to say it. Fuck you CRAPcom.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:56 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: I guess they don't see it selling as well outside Japan? If that's the case why not just translate the text to English and release it on Games on demand and PSN to save money?

Its what i wish they had done with the Wrestle Kingdom game on XBox 360.

This is the same company that decided to hold on to 12 extra characters for almost half a year, cancelled a game that had a working prototype they could have charged money for and keeps paying western studios to make flops that cut into profits and are essentially a death sentence for the studio.

AAA development is filled with bad ideas.

The funny part is Ace Attorney 5 is coming west, and likely won't do great.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:23 pm

They also fired clover. They broke a promise to Mikami leading him to quit the company. That one guy who loved SF and EVO and his dream to work at Capcom quit. Inafune quit. The Management is terrible.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Dorian » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:41 pm

At this point, it's not about asking who left Capcom, but who actually stayed there.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:24 pm

BioWare's Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka retire because they ''no longer have the passion''

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... sm-charity

With Hudson 'in charge' under EA I'm giving up all hope with Bioware now.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:42 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: BioWare's Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka retire because they ''no longer have the passion''

I lost some passion after playing that piece of shit that they call Mass Effect. I can only imagine how it must be to actually make it. Ugh.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:47 pm

The series had promise till EA stepped in and felt it was too RPG and not COD bro fisting shoot em up action enough. :sad:
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:15 pm

I don't like what Suzuki had to say about fighting games when he was asked by Famtisu to talk about VFxDOA:

Although Suzuki admits to not exactly being a hardcore fighter fan any longer, he does feel the need to expand the genre a little. "This is something I really felt after picking up a fighter for the first time in a while," he said, "but with games like these that require precise button timing, it feels really great when you get it just right. Of course, on the other hand, if you don't have that skill, that's a pretty quick impetus to giving up on the game. I'd like to have it so more people can feel this sort of excitement, but if you don't have the skill set for it, it just winds up becoming a stressful experience. I think it'd be nice if we could make a game that tries to reduce the frequency of people losing because they couldn't execute the skill they wanted to; something that focuses more on strategy than technique."

Basically, the creator of VF is displeased with hardcore fighting games because they are too hard for many people and he would like to make them more casual. What is this world coming to?
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Eh many fighters since the 90's you can just button mash. I don't know how it's more casual. Just not every game is as technical as VF. I was never a huge VF fan tho I liked 1-3 yet to play 4 and liked somewhat what I played of VF5 on 360 years ago. I grew up liking more Capcom fighters and Mortal Kombat. Now I love KOF & Fatal Fury as well.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:38 pm

Make a deep fighting game with a lot of depth, then add a casual mode thats completely different and make sure online they don't mix. Problem solved.

The problem with developers right now it that they don't make the real differentiation. The Casual mode in MvC3 is a one button thing, but in reality the simplified inputs and forgiving execution is already suited for casual players so it has nothing to offer a lot of hardcore fighting fans.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: Make a deep fighting game with a lot of depth, then add a casual mode thats completely different and make sure online they don't mix. Problem solved.

This never works with games like this. You can't kill two birds with one stone when it comes to deep gaming mechanics. It would de facto require making two different games. The graphics could be shared, but nothing more. Otherwise, there would be too many holes with different solutions slipping through, making it all inconsistent and untrue to itself.

Yu is a grandpa now. Not in body, but definitely in mentality. He lost the passion and the guts. I'm sorry, but it's true. I doubt he would handle the hell that modern game development has turned into.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:46 pm

I maybe wrong here but one of you is a developer and the other isn't and a developer knows more. Maybe I'm so wrong that a developer would not know better.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Well he has a point. Its not like the only difference between MvC 2 and MvC3 is inputs.

Things is what you're saying is based off games that exist now, I have a strong belief, though there aren't any examples of it, that you can create a deep system as well as ways to circumvent it. In doing that you can make a fighter that is easy to pick up and play for noobs since they'll be able to do specials and combos easier, but they'll need to learn about priority, frame counting and specific input and eventually become advanced players.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Manny didn't make any hardcore fighting game that's perfectly casual at the same time. Being a developer doesn't mean you have perfect solutions for everything. You can have theories that seem perfect.

I've been playing hardcore 3D fighters for around 15 years and there's no factual way to make such games casual at the same time because they are too complex and taking just one brick will make the whole structure collapse. The best you can do is to make two different fighting games using the same graphics, but that's impractical and nobody would be developing like that.

Hardcore fighters are hardcore fighters and that's that. Yu is behind when it comes to gaming. Even Nintendo understands now that casuals need totally different games. Trying to 'streamline' hardcore gaming genres leads only to destroying them. Yu seems like a person stuck in the mid 2000s and playing with motion controls.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming