DMC [Reboot]

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Devil May Cry series

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:45 pm

mue 26 wrote:
You're likely right, the damage is done. If it does well (which is how things are looking) then we lose whats basically the main game in a whole subgenre.

I don't get this. Devil may cry has undoubtedly helped evolve the genre, but it's legacy is being continued in a pretty strong way through games like Bayonetta and MGS rising. DMC may have gone down a different route with this new title, but by nearly all accounts it's a good game. Obviously there's the small matter of preference, but even though I haven't played it, it seems quite clear that Ninja theory haven't just churned out the ugly turd that many seemingly wanted them to. Sure it's not 60 FPS or whatever, but can't we just appreciate it for what it is? I guess I could be seen to be a bit hypocritical as I was a lot less forgiving to what turned out to be the new Hitman. But I guess with Hitman, it's just that there is no other game that does what it did, and it was billed as the game we (Hitman fans) all wanted. Ninja theory were always clear (perhaps a bit too clear) that this was going to be different, and as far as I'm concerned, the torch that DMC used to carry had already long since been passed on to other franchises. DMC 4 was never much cop to be honest.

You'd have more chance appealing to the Westboro Baptist Church then butthurt video game fans.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Tuffty » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:36 am

Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:38 pm

Capcom has slashed sales expectations of DmC from 2 million to 1.2
At this point with DMC4 it was at 2 million shipped. DMC4 did sell over 2 million lifetime. DmC has 1 million shipped not sold and has sold far less than expected. In the UK it has fallen out of the top 10 in less than 2 weeks.

Side-note Along with these announcements from Capcom Dragons Dogma has performed better than expected and Capcom now considers RE6 a failure.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:46 pm

Yeah, Devil May Cry is now dead in the water (also factor in how badly the HD re-release did).

They also announced recently that they (as in Capcom) aren't touching Onimusha nor Dino Crisis. To be honest, I'm sort of glad. After the train wreck that was RE6, I wouldn't trust them.

And that could be the reason why they're rushing out the Revelations port; to compensate for RE6's ridiculous budget.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Tuffty » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Nobody is surprised at this right? Sad to see, but the worst has pretty much happened. Ninja Theory and Capcom gets a bad rep and fans like myself are sure as hell now not going to see another Devil May Cry game because Capcom will just consider it a dead franchise that has no appeal. Things may have been different if they just made DMC5 but that is just conjecture at this point. The best you can deal with now is that the DMC legacy lives on in games like Bayonetta. I haven't got it yet, but I think I will get the DMC HD edition now as well, just to have it and show the series I know and like some love.

I watched the final boss of DmC and it looks...bad. It just is. It really has none of the epic scale or intensity as the Mundus fight in DMC1 or Vergil in DMC3.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:20 pm

^ Get Project X Zone on 3DS to play as classic Dante one last time
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:26 pm

I'm not going to shit on a game I haven't played yet. I still plan to play it, actually. But it wasn't just the direction they took the series in that I didn't care for (much preferred the gothic horror vibe to whatever mish mash this was going for). I didn't like the the character of Dante from the trailers in the new one, he just looked like an asshole, there was simply...nothing that stood out to me that made me want to play the game, even watching all of the trailers and trying to look past all of the shit being flung at it. And if your main character isn't likeable after you've "revised" him (and hey, I know Devil May Cry isn't Shakespeare, but the original Dante was likeable) then you're going to have to do something interesting to reel me in. And it didn't do anything to grab me.

At least that's why I didn't buy it, not because I had a personal vendetta against it or anything, it was just an "eh" looking game overall.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Tuffty
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:29 pm

From what I hear he isn't all that much an asshole just they did that in trailers to make him look more edgy than he was. Instead he's more generic and forgettable. At least from what I hear from people who liked the game.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Well then, they did a bad job at marketing the game to me. :lol:

Henry Spencer has received 3 thanks from: Bluecast, Segata Sanshiro Jr., Tuffty
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:09 pm

He's not as much of a dick in game as the trailer make him out to be but there was some stuff in conversations with Virgil that made him seem like a massive douche.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 pm

I know this sounds like mass generalizing and know people can name plenty of likable western characters. Why do so many western studios thing making a guy an asshole think that is what is cool? If I wanted to watch a bunch of assholes like the new Dante then I would go in a Hot Topic at a mall. If I want over muscle bound morons with shaved heads I will go to a college football players frat party. Not saying Japanese are not guilty of lame generic characters either. (spiky haired moody "mysterious" characters) Not to mention many western studios when hyping their new game come across as a douche basically always say dumb shit this game is better than a blow job or whatever it was Jaffe said. Japanese (not always as the Ninja Gaiden creator was a massive asshole) usually are "I hope you like my game and we tried to do this or that"
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 pm

I think it is interesting.

The west believe empowerment is through macho, morally bankrupt and angry men.
(Kratos, DukeNukem, New Dante, etc)
Japan believes empowerment is through bitchy, morally bankrupt and angry women.
(Lightning, Natasha, Luna Platz, etc)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 pm

Want to know a great character who displayed empowerment without either. Not a game but the first thing that comes to mind. Jadzia Dax. Ok so it's Star Trek. She had weakness but also very tough. The character owned herself. She did not go out of her way to do it either. It was just who she was. She was not afraid to show emotion either. My mind is blank but maybe you can name one in a game.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Empowerment without either what?
And are you asking for female characters specifically?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:42 pm

Male or Female
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming