One Piece motherfreaking Musou

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

One Piece motherfreaking Musou

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:22 pm

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/0 ... confirmed/

One Piece Musou Confirmed for PlayStation 3

YES?! YES?! YES?! and ummmmm YES?!

Jump+Omega Force was a great combination with Fist of the North Star being one of my favorite beat em ups of the last few years, and the wii/3ds series of One Piece games are great action plaformers with RPG elements.

Considering One Piece is one of Jump's best mangas right now (and perhaps the only one where fighting with your "feelings" isn't the major plot point) I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Please excuse me as i go sing the one piece theme song

(The good one that starts compass left behind not that Gaigo gaigo 4kids crap)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Re: One Pice motherfreaking Musou

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:55 pm

You're skipping across the room with a straw hat & a red shirt on thinking you look like the show but really looking like a homeless Gilligan holding a mushed burrito in your right hand.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:05 pm

Holy shit holy shit

(I'm excited because I've been reading this since the 90s)

but he's got

the scar he got when he went to rescue ace and everyone got incredibly pwned which means the game features Zoro after losing an eye and powered up n SHIT YOSH
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:25 pm

Oh great, yet another franchise for Koei to turn into a heaping, steaming pile of poo. DW has been stagnant for centuries now (and to think I used to love that game), Gundam DW was predictably pants and after 2 sequels is fast catching up to the main DW series in terms of stagnation and lazyiness. FOTNS could have been a great fit for the DW template and had a few good ideas, but in the end lets be honest it was a pile of poo as well with terrible execution, design and THE BOSSES! Koei have done nothing but dissapoint and depress me with their laziness on the Musou games in the last 7 or 8 years now. I really regret having to watch Koei churn out another lazy cash in franchise musou tie in.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:31 pm

mue 26 wrote:Oh great, yet another franchise for Koei to turn into a heaping, steaming pile of poo. DW has been stagnant for centuries now (and to think I used to love that game), Gundam DW was predictably pants and after 2 sequels is fast catching up to the main DW series in terms of stagnation and lazyiness. FOTNS could have been a great fit for the DW template and had a few good ideas, but in the end lets be honest it was a pile of poo as well with terrible execution, design and THE BOSSES! Koei have done nothing but dissapoint and depress me with their laziness on the Musou games in the last 7 or 8 years now. I really regret having to watch Koei churn out another lazy cash in franchise musou tie in.

Actually Dynasty Warriors and Omega force in general are at the top of their game, they've been making perhaps the best beat em ups this gen and like I stated earlier Fist of the north star was fantastic. They've also changed up the formula quite a bit, in dynasty warriors adding height, more RTS like commands, and multiple weapons for each character, the gundam series now has an extensive mission mode and interesting visual style, and kens rage perfectly emulated the look and feel of fist of the north star. Aside from their warriors games omega force also made the great Trinity prequel on ps3.

if anything those games evolve more then say call of duty ;)
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:36 pm

I best get into DW at some point as I loved SB and games like it. Good mindless hack n slash fun.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:45 pm

Yeah, Fist of the North Star is fan-fucking-tastic. It might not have the easiest gameplay to get used to (the combos are so carefully-animated that they end up feeling kind of slow), but it absolutely works once you've actually got it down. They also really seem to have a passion for the source material, as it actually has a pretty good focus on the story and characters, and keeping all the little details in place. It's managed to turn me into a fan of FotNS, and I've never even read the comics or seen the anime.

Not interested in One-Piece myself, but I can still say it'll probably be in good hands with Koei. They seem to know their shit.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:48 pm

OL wrote:Yeah, Fist of the North Star is fan-fucking-tastic. It might not have the easiest gameplay to get used to (the combos are so carefully-animated that they end up feeling kind of slow), but it absolutely works once you've actually got it down. They also really seem to have a passion for the source material, as it actually has a pretty good focus on the story and characters, and keeping all the little details in place. It's managed to turn me into a fan of FotNS, and I've never even read the comics or seen the anime.

Not interested in One-Piece myself, but I can still say it'll probably be in good hands with Koei. They seem to know their shit.

Funny how Master System & Genesis had FoTNS games but license made them change it to Black belt and Last battle and not until this gen out west we get a true game when western games are top crop and beat em ups are much more rare these days.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Fair enough, but to be honest I find the "additions" koei adds to DW each new installment to be insanely trivial, and I feel they've done very little at all to spice up/improve/or innovate on the series since 2002, you really might as well be playing DW 3 in my opinion as when you compare 8(!) to it its virtually unchanged (and not in a good way) only with slightly better (but still poor) visuals. They make such slow progress I don't understand how they can justify full price for they sequels. And in my honest opinion FOTNS was pretty awful, with really bad level design, mission structure and boss battles, it had some good ideas but the execution wasn't enjoyable for me. If this is Koei at their prime I'd hate to see them at their worst.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:57 pm

I actually have a soft spot for Koei in their "historical simulation" period, back during the early-90s. I'd personally call that their prime. I'm not even that big into strategy games, but Nobunaga's Ambition, Liberty or Death, and the like are all pretty cool, not to mention stuff like Inindo (an 8-bit-style ninja RPG), and their Uncharted Waters series (New Horizons is awesome).
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:58 pm

I'm not a strat guy but I keep seeing Liberty or Death at PnT for about 5$ for Genesis and was Featured on 16 bit Gems. Now wondering if I should give it a go.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:02 pm

It just depends on your tastes. Honestly, it's almost all menus and feels more like a board game than anything else. Something that requires a good amount of time to get into, and if you're not much into strategy, you might really dislike it.
But for what it is, I'm a fan. I just love that Koei focused so hard on historical settings and real people back then. Made them pretty unique for a Japanese videogame company.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:05 pm

So one of those games a bad cynical joke insert here about just as much fun as DVD remote menus?
Thanks for the head up. I think I will pass. I was unable to get Ranger X this month like I hoped and that is my #1 Priority next for Genesis
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:08 pm

Ranger X.
Good man. I'll be doing a video of that soon (and I do mean soon with this one; the latest one is taking forever, but I'm getting close to the end. And after that's done, a Genesis game will be so much easier to make a quick vid out of).
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:45 am

mue 26 wrote:You really might as well be playing DW 3 in my opinion as when you compare 8(!) to it its virtually unchanged (and not in a good way) only with slightly better (but still poor) visuals.

BTW its actually up to 7, 6 in Japan because we count the fighting game and they don't.

As for looking the same:

sure its the same character, he looks mighty different, the texture work has been upgraded quite a bit and its also been upgraded in terms of locales, and enemy troops. On top of that, with a few hundred enemies on screen, and a constant 30-60 FPS which is something old DW games, especially 4, couldn't do.

mue 26 wrote:Fair enough, but to be honest I find the "additions" koei adds to DW each new installment to be insanely trivial, and I feel they've done very little at all to spice up/improve/or innovate on the series since 2002

adding multiple weapons for 30+characters is trivial? making a multi-tiered map that loads in one chunk and has high res models and AIs on every tier running at the same time is trivial? Online multiplayer, new strategy modes, expanded story that covers start of the jin empire, all trivial?

mue 26 wrote:And in my honest opinion FOTNS was pretty awful, with really bad level design, mission structure and boss battles, it had some good ideas but the execution wasn't enjoyable for me.

so a beat em up, had a linear mission structure and bosses that were cheap and had a certain trick to beating em.

sounds familiar.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRW1R-rwkjE[/youtube]

Joking aside the misson structure was fine since it was following the manga, it had a lot of dramatic elements and cutscenes because the majority of the story mode was a story mode, and the free mode basically had no structure because, well it was a free mode.

now i'm not saying Omega force is infallible, theres plenty of tings to pick on them about, and the price of their games is one of them, you hit the nail on the head, they shouldn't be 60 because they just aren't that polished, but its very unfair to call them out as developers when they're doing a very good job.

OL wrote:I actually have a soft spot for Koei in their "historical simulation" period, back during the early-90s. I'd personally call that their prime. I'm not even that big into strategy games, but Nobunaga's Ambition, Liberty or Death, and the like are all pretty cool, not to mention stuff like Inindo (an 8-bit-style ninja RPG), and their Uncharted Waters series (New Horizons is awesome).

I'm dying for like a Kessen 4, i got nobunaga no yabou for ps2 but that did little more than make me want a new suikoden (bandit kings of ancient china). I have a soft spot for those old historical strat games too, there was also one about the khans and the founding of the Yuan dynasty but I can't remember the name.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming