Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:59 pm

You are paying for a license to play on a current console. Sony/Xbox/Nintendo whoever. At some point will remove ALL downloads from this gen. Will NOT be able to play them on the Xbox3/PS4/Wii-u. They are in for the money. You no longer purchase a product to own. But a License to use until further notice. Not a chance in hell a game you downloaded today will you be able to play in 20 years time. So you best remember those games good and get a good look and memory of them. Not to far away you will NEVER be able to play again. Unless you have a physical copy to just pop in that Genesis. if either the game or Genesis breaks,no problem plenty of Yard sales out there.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Kenny » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:04 pm

Or download them to an emulator on a computer.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:08 pm

Some of these games won't be emulated as it will be impossible to emulate things like PSN or XBL.
Last edited by Dorian on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Kenny » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:10 pm

We'll see.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Kenny wrote:Or download them to an emulator on a computer.

not the same. No thrill,no joy. Oh and is Hagane on a Emu? I kinda doubt it

On a personal note it's just part of the fun. No wait the biggest fun is the thrill of the hunt Finding good deals and games.Then getting that physical copy in your hands and you do the zelda thing. DA DA DAAAAAAAAAAA! *item floats above your hand held high in the air rotating*
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kenny » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:15 pm

It's not the same (or that different, really), sure, but at least I know they're in a place where they can never be deleted involuntarily.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:20 pm

Persona 2: Innocent Sin & Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Release Date Announced, The Trails Of Innocence Combo Pack Revealed

Ghostlight has today announced that the Collector’s Editions of Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky will both be released this winter. Not only that, but for those of you who are worried about the abuse your wallets might take during this period, Ghostlight will be offering a legendary package deal they’re calling The Trails Of Innocence Combo Pack.

The Trails Of Innocence Combo Pack will include the Collector’s Editions of both Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, plus the free bonus T-Shirt and Poster all for the knock down price of £69.98 GBP, saving you £10.00 off the individual recommended retail prices (RRP) of £39.99 for each game.

I never wanted a job as much as now... :shock:
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:20 pm

Ryudo wrote:You are paying for a license to play on a current console. Sony/Xbox/Nintendo whoever. At some point will remove ALL downloads from this gen. Will NOT be able to play them on the Xbox3/PS4/Wii-u. They are in for the money. You no longer purchase a product to own. But a License to use until further notice. Not a chance in hell a game you downloaded today will you be able to play in 20 years time. So you best remember those games good and get a good look and memory of them. Not to far away you will NEVER be able to play again. Unless you have a physical copy to just pop in that Genesis. if either the game or Genesis breaks,no problem plenty of Yard sales out there.

Ok I don't think you're understanding. In 20 years, so long as I have a TV and a console I can play my wii with whatever games I have on that Wii. Nintendo can't revoke files on the system memory, it would corrupt it and affect system performance. Since the data is tied to something physical its basically physical.

There is no way for Nintendo to take your games away without taking your console itself, the same way they cannot take your copy of a super mario world without physically soming to your house and taking it.

Sony can revoke your liscenses and make it so that you can't play alot of games, Microsoft can do that, but Nintendo's policy and hardware setup make it so that you can't have your games taken away.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:24 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Ok I don't think you're understanding. In 20 years, so long as I have a TV and a console I can play my wii with whatever games I have on that Wii. Nintendo can't revoke files on the system memory, it would corrupt it and affect system performance. Since the data is tied to something physical its basically physical.

I think that Ryudo wanted to say that the odds of having your game disc/cart broken are much lower than the odds of having your console dead.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:25 pm

So what happens in 20 years that Wii memory won't be working? Flash Memory can be only used so many times before it stops working. So in 20 years you don;t have that game anymore. Unless it's on a disc or cart. Console stops working no prob get a new one pop the game in. My physical copy breaks. Ok then I go by a used one on Amazon or something.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Ryudo wrote:So what happens in 20 years that Wii memory won't be working? Flash Memory can be only used so many times before it stops working. So in 20 years you don;t have that game anymore. Unless it's on a disc or cart. Console stops working no prob get a new one pop the game in.

but alot of carts are flash memory also, especially newer ones, if thats the case the same DS games we're buying now also won't be usable in 20 years. Really its the same deal, your Wii is basically a really big cart. It has the same chance of dying out, same hazards and both require another piece of hardware (for the cart a console for the console a tv) to be played.

I understand the whole argument against digital games, but this isn't really bad at all. Its not a matter of legal issue the way it is with say Steam or PSN, this is more of a peronal choice. Some people don't like hunting down games and paying extra for physical copies, 10$ they're happy and they get a version that plays nice with their HDTV. No on loses their game because of lawsuits, or because they were banned, its yours so long as the console works.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:35 pm

if a disc breaks or cart stops working I go online or to a store and replace it. New or used. Maybe a higher price for new but at least it exists. That DD game is gone for good on that lost system memory.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:38 pm

I can't agree that the probability of a console going dead is equal to the probability of a game disc/cart going dead.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:41 pm

Dorian wrote:I can't agree that the probability of console going dead is equal to the probability of game disc/cart going dead.

Indeed discs as long as you don't rub sandpaper on them and spray them with windex or coke or something can last forever really. Carts are very very hard to fail. Again granted you don't bury it in the Sahara desert for 30 years or Antarctica that sucker will play for almost forever. It's easy don't be a dumbass and they will be fine. :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:44 pm

Ryudo wrote:
Dorian wrote:I can't agree that the probability of console going dead is equal to the probability of game disc/cart going dead.

Indeed discs as long as you don't rub sandpaper on them and spray them with windex or coke or something can last forever really. Carts are very very hard to fail. Again granted you don't bury it in the Sahara desert for 30 years or Antarctica that sucker will play for almost forever. It's easy don't be a dumbass and they will be fine. :P

Whereas your Wii can be killed simply becasue there's a power issue. *looking at Manny*
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming