Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 am

Ryudo wrote:This is why
Physical>Digital
Shit like this

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/28/r-typ ... n-sept-30/

You wont lose the game if you allready own it, people just wont be able to buy it any more.

But yes Physical>Digital
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:09 am

yes yes the cage hate is boring now and everything that can be said has been said until now. I saw this comment on a website and had to post :lol:

David Cage was an ordinary guy, until he became... a stapler! Now he'll work out that lifes not easy - if you're a stapler! He'll discover that its all about sticking together!

Rated PG 13.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Myles » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:23 am

Impulse buy for me, most recently, was Dead Rising. I wasnt disappointed. I still love popping in the game to let out some agression on some zombies.

My best impulse buy was Shenmue ;). Went into the store, the guys were telling me bout this new game that was "CRAZY, WILD, LIKE NO OTHER" I still remember the associate mimicking Ryo drinking a soda. I was sold :lol:
Myles
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:34 am

Myles wrote:My best impulse buy was Shenmue ;). Went into the store, the guys were telling me bout this new game that was "CRAZY, WILD, LIKE NO OTHER" I still remember the associate mimicking Ryo drinking a soda. I was sold :lol:

Cool story, bro. And no, I'm not being sarcastic. I mean it.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:46 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:
Ryudo wrote:This is why
Physical>Digital
Shit like this

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/28/r-typ ... n-sept-30/

You wont lose the game if you allready own it, people just wont be able to buy it any more.

But yes Physical>Digital

but what if your console breaks, and u buy a new one and think "hey i need to download that game on my new console......fuck its not up 4 download anymore :cry: "

Perfect_Chaos has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:52 am

Not sure about the wii but on the 360 it will still be in your download history so even when they take it down you can still re download it.

For instance when MK3 was taken down due to rights issues i could still go to my download history and re download it despite MS having taken it off the market place.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:06 am

Nintendo went as far as to make your digital games signed to the console itself, so if your console dies, you lose all that you bought.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:36 am

Dorian wrote:Nintendo went as far as to make your digital games signed to the console itself, so if your console dies, you lose all that you bought.

You actually can contact nintendo and they'll rewrite the games to a new console, did it for me for free(even thought it was my fault the wii broke...but they didn't need to know that)

Can't believe Disagea 3 is 1000 yen more than Sumioni, Army Corps of Hell and Zero no kiseki full voice. I still don't now where I'll find money for a vita.

eh maybe I'll con a devkit out of someone and play it at work...you know, for experimentation...for SCIENCE!
Last edited by Segata Sanshiro Jr. on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:44 am

You really can do that? Are you so certain? Didn't they just fix your Wii? Their official statement is as follows:

Unfortunately, it is not possible to transfer any Virtual Console or WiiWare licenses to a new console. When you purchase a Virtual Console or WiiWare game, you are technically only purchasing the license for that game on the console it is downloaded to. You do not retain the license for that game on other consoles that you may purchase.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:54 am

Dorian wrote:You really can do that? Are you so certain? Didn't they just fix your Wii? Their official statement is as follows:

Unfortunately, it is not possible to transfer any Virtual Console or WiiWare licenses to a new console. When you purchase a Virtual Console or WiiWare game, you are technically only purchasing the license for that game on the console it is downloaded to. You do not retain the license for that game on other consoles that you may purchase.

The wii was busted, there was a power issue in my old apartment that caused a surge and burned the motherboard, but I got them to believe it was caused by the ac. Parts of the motherboard were ok, like the video card still worked and the storage was fine, but the rest of it was kakidoo. I had to put in my new serial and stuff but it was a different console. Although I have a Nintendo account which likely made everything much easier, someone who didn't might have more of an issue, since they don't have much beyond the console itself. Sure the server would be able to ping downloads via the S#. I guess you could then authorize downloads to the new s#.

But yea, its Nintendo and its DRM, they have the electronic skeleton key.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:04 am

You mean Club Nintendo account, right?

Well, no matter how you look at it, their policy sucks and most people wouldn't go through all the trouble of forcing them to rewrite Wii Shop status from one console to the other.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:20 am

Yep it does, but DRM sucks in general. truth is there needs to be some changes as to what companies, all of em, can legally do.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:25 am

Power does whatever it wants to. We can just watch and laugh... or cry.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Even if you can re download the game. When the service shut's down to move to a different new console you're still fucked. You don't own the game. Just allowed to play it until further notice.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:51 pm

Ryudo wrote:Even if you can re download the game. When the service shut's down to move to a different new console you're still fucked. You don't own the game. Just allowed to play it until further notice.

Well thats the difference between DRMs. There are Xbox and Ps3 games that require an internet connection to play, but since the game is written to your console you can play it any time, and it can't be revoked the way XBL and PSN titles can (PSN/XBL can actually institute files that delete themselves while nintendo cannont since it would corrupt the flash memory)

In essence you do technically have a physical copy. Nintendo can't say "No Chrono Trigger for you!" and delete it off your console, basically the only way to lose it is to have your console break, but theres as much of a chance happening as breaking a chrono trigger disk, if anything less of a chance.

and looking at how content is transferred on DSi-3DS it basically just rewrites it based on the handheld serial, thats actually how all of Nintendo's stuff works (hence they know weather or not you accessed Eshop before the price drop, if you input your serial they could verify it)

so yea simple version all drm is bullshit, but believe it or not you actually have more of a right to it if its written to the hardware the way nintendo does it. They can take things down, but they can't mess with the files you already have.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming