Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series

Postby OL » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:37 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: Soo.. Nocturne for PS2. To play it or no? I enjoy Persona 3, Person 4, P3P, Persona Fes, Catherine, etc.

It's a tough call, because it isn't honestly much like the newer Persona games. It's got a much more solemn, dark atmosphere to it. If Persona 3 and 4 are a bit like playing through an anime series, Nocturne is like a Japanese art film. The story isn't shoved in your face so freely, there aren't a lot of laughs to be had, and it's much heavier in its mood. That's not to say it has less personality, but the personality that's there is certainly a far cry from P3 and P4. It's a bit more grown-up. A bit less teen-aimed.
It's also much tougher as well. Very difficult game, and I'm still kind of shocked I ever finished it at all. You really have to dedicate yourself to grinding in this one. You don't just freely move from one story point to the next in a straight line. You really have to work to power yourself up before moving forward.
But at the same time, it's also a an absolutely wonderful game regardless. The more I think back on my time with it, the more I believe it to be one of the most well-crafted JRPGs ever made. It leaves an impression, that's for damn sure.
So yeah, I'd recommend the game. I'd just recommend it with the warning that it ain't for everyone.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:11 am

Simple answer, yes. Granted it was my P3 at the time, seeing as after P2 for all of those years it seemed highly unlikely we would get another Persona. But yeah, the art direction, atmosphere, story, music and battle system were all wonderful. Like OL said, much tougher game than P3 and up. But then again, it was in line with what came before it. It's one of those games that ages incredibly well, I'd definitely jump in.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Thief » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:28 am

phpBB [video]

So this was released... and I don't know what to make of it. Thoughts?

It doesn't really look like either of the two series, at least stylistically.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:50 am

Supposedly that is what used to be SMTxFire Emblem?! Looks nothing like either. ATLUS sure have fallen down on my radar now outside Persona 5. Looks like that Hyperdimension Neptunia garbage - fanservice all over the place. Like literally all of that trailer was girls in skimpy outfits, hardly any actual gameplay footage at all. All of this otaku baiting crap that a large proportion of these Japanese developers market these games for are pretty much testament to how sad and regressive these games are.

I watched the Nintendo Direct last night and was so pissed about it that I had to sleep it off. Shin Megami Tensei is supposed to be, or at least used to be, a dark RPG series. Now look at it. I could see the writing on the wall when Kazuma Kaneko was not working on SMT4 which direction this company was headed. The teaser trailer showcased Kaneko's human designs from each mainline SMT game and now we have this...thing. Imagine if they advertised/teased a Final Fantasy and Demon's/Dark Souls crossover (Square Enix and From Software) and then it got turned into Jpop, high school, super bright art style and pervy fanservice galore all over the place. It's insulting. What the fuck happened to you, ATLUS, what the fuck happened?

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Axm, OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:19 pm

I wouldn't say it looks quite as grossly-sexualized as something like Neptunia (at least there are some guys there, and at least the girls aren't quite so much pedo-fodder), but it's still unnecessarily "otaku bait," as Henry said.
How the eff is this even an SMT/Fire Emblem crossover? I saw no SMT characters whatsoever, nor any SMT-style environments. I'm not all that familiar with Fire Emblem, but I'm pretty sure there are no FE characters either. It looks more like a new IP, rather than what the name would imply.
The battle system aesthetics looks absolutely ridiculous; not digging the over-the-top nature of the goofy vehicles, armor, and magic stuff. It's all just generic, hokey bullshit.
And good fucking god, that music is awful. I think the whole thing wouldn't seem quite as bad, if not for the squeaky, horrendous Jpop vocals playing over the whole thing. If there were some Meguro music, or something otherwise orchestral, maybe it might not seem so insultingly bad.
I will give it a single ounce of credit though; I think the real-world exploration bits have a cool look to them, with the unimportant NPCs looking like they're out of one of those old iPod commercials or something. It's an interesting aesthetic choice, and I like it a lot.
But otherwise? Just a big barrel of "blaaaaahhhh."
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:45 am

It's official - Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem (now known as Genei Ibun Roku #FE) has the worst selling debut for an SMT game in Atlus history and is one of the worst selling Atlus games ever (and one of Nintendo's worst too, actually, considering this game's budget) if this is the best it can sell.

How do the SMTxFE fair with other SMT games? Is it really bad? okay?

Comparison with other Megaten debuts (Famitsu numbers)
[SAT] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (Atlus) {1995-12-25} – 264,822 / 355,656
[PS1] Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (Atlus) {1996-09-20} – 201,147 / 391,556
[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (Atlus) {2004-07-15} – 93,499 / 153,421
[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (Atlus) {2009-01-15} – 56,689 / 106,997
[SDC] Maken X (Atlus) {1999-11-25} – 51,613 / 70,824
[WIU] Genei Ibun Roku #FE (Nintendo) {2015-12-26} — 23,806 / NEW

Comparison with other SMT games
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV (Atlus) {2013-05-23} — 188,562 / 262,150 [Media Create]
[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (Atlus) {2003-02-20} — 151,203 / 245,520 [Famitsu Tracker Data]
[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Atlus) {2009-10-08} — 91,000 / 136,149 [Famitsu Tracker Data]
[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniax (Atlus) {2004-01-29} — 40,907 / 77,791 [Famitsu Tracker Data]
[WIU] Genei Ibun Roku #FE (Nintendo) {2015-12-26} — 23,806 / NEW [Famitsu Tracker Data]

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=648

And yeah, it had a poorer debut than SMT: Nine on the Xbox.

For those that don't know SMT: Nine (Xbox) was the previous record holder as the worst selling SMT game of all time. In some cases it sold less than half other SMT games debut... Guess this "new series" isn't happening anymore. Good, I say.

Wouldn't be surprised if they cancel the localization for this now.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Jesse » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:22 pm

In this week’s Weekly Famitsu magazine issue #1415 (releasing on January 14, 2016), an interview with Atlus CEO Naoto Hiraoka has him tease unannounced games and that 2016 will be a year where popular Atlus series gather together.

Discussing Atlus’ plans for 2015 and the future of the company, Hiraoka told the magazine, “In 2015, we were able to develop existing IP like Persona 4: Dancing All Night and Etrian Mystery Dungeon. In 2016, starting with Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, we plan to release a large number of titles. In the summer, we’ll launch the long-awaited Persona 5. Of course, in addition to that we have several unannounced titles. I have no doubt this will be a year Atlus’ popular series all gather together.

While the release date hasn’t been decided, I want you to also look forward to VanillaWare’s 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim..

Odin Sphere has a June 7th release date here in the States. I've read a few game journalists speculate that SEGA planned to release Persona 5 worldwide simultaneously. This puts a nail in that coffin lol. See you in December Persona
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Jesse » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:52 pm

This week’s PlayStation Dengeki magazine Vol. 606 features an interview with Persona 5 director Katsura Hashino, Persona 5 character designer Shigenori Soejima, and Persona 4: Dancing All Night producer & director Kazuhisa Wada about their plans and outlook for 2016.

This follows the 4Gamer end of year interview with Atlus staff members; the recent Famitsu interview about 2016 with Persona 5 director Katsura Hashino and Shin Megami Tensei IV Final producer Kazuyuki Yamai; as well as the recent PlayStation Dengeki Vol. 606 interview with Atlus CEO Naoto Hiraoka.
Katsura Hashino (Atlus – “Persona 5” Director)

Hashino Interview

What are your aspirations for your own games and projects in 2016?

I believe we’ll be able to safely release the game we currently have in development.

Above all else, I hope players have a great experience with it.

What are your expectations and outlook for the game industry in 2016?

When a lot of things are happening at once, the way to survive among the crowd is to firmly prove one’s worth, and I think this is necessary. Taking this into consideration, we must ensure players of our games think that they’re “undoubtedly worth it.” In 2016, my hope is for us to stand out, even a little, in the game industry.

Shigenori Soejima (Atlus – “Persona 5” Character Designer)

Soejima Interview

2016 is when “Persona 5” will finally be released. We have been continuing development and gradually advancing to the point where we hope to meet expectations! Additionally, I plan to provide illustrations across various media next year [2016], so please be receptive to them when they appear.

Although this opinion is common, the domestic consumer game market is but one among the various overseas studios, Japan has been working on a lot of social games, and I think the game industry will become more diverse. I want to have a part in many unique projects, and I hope to continue aiming forward with Atlus to create games full of originality!

Kazuhisa Wada (Atlus – “Persona 4: Dancing All Night” Producer & Director)

Wada Interview

I cannot announce a game at this point, however the year 2016 is the 20th anniversary for the Persona series. Starting with Persona 5, this year will increasingly become one that represents “Persona.” With this being a year with many things in preparation, I want to continue reaching out and collecting feedback.*

It’s all about the consumer. Particularly when it comes to the progress of the niche Japanese market, if you look at the video game industry in its various forms, the potential for advancement is significant. I think the diversification of the business model will also be linked to smartphone apps, won’t it? My hope is for consumers to be treated properly.
Jesse

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:54 pm

Jesse wrote:Discussing Atlus’ plans for 2015 and the future of the company, Hiraoka told the magazine, “In 2015, we were able to develop existing IP like Persona 4: Dancing All Night and Etrian Mystery Dungeon. In 2016, starting with Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, we plan to release a large number of titles. In the summer, we’ll launch the long-awaited Persona 5. Of course, in addition to that we have several unannounced titles. I have no doubt this will be a year Atlus’ popular series all gather together.

If that means the return of Devil Summoner and Growlanser, great. It'll probably be more Persona spin offs though...
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri May 06, 2016 1:16 pm

phpBB [video]
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro