Grand Theft Auto V

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Grand Theft Auto Series

Postby OL » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:31 am

Riku Rose wrote: I wouldn't say any GTA game is anywhere near my top 10 but they are always a blast to play and the hype leading up to release is fun. This looks pretty cool and from what I've read having three characters at once sounds cool.

I'll agree with that. It's not necessarily a favorite series of mine, but I do always have fun with them when a new one comes along.
Rockstar have come a long way in the area of storytelling since GTAIV came out, so I'm mostly hoping to see a much better story and characters this time around. GTAIV was pretty weak from a narrative perspective, despite having a lot of potential.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:42 am

A quick look at how the 3 character thing works in[some?] missions

One mission has the trio extracting a target from being interrogated/tortured. Trevor flies the helicopter, Michael rappels down the side of the building from the chopper, while Franklin acts as a sniper from a rooftop across the way. The player initially takes the role of Michael until he bursts in through the window Die Hard-style and takes a human shield. From there the player is given the choice of whether to continue playing as Michael or snipe foes from afar as Franklin.

During the getaway a helicopter chase ensues and players are given yet another choice whether to pilot the getaway chopper as Trevor, act as the craft's gunner ala Michael, or snipe the opposition's helicopter pilots as Franklin

Sounds cool

Houser explained that this three character system will add more diversity to the enormous locale. "That contrast between three different experiences, geographies, and vibes to everything should really be strong, and I think it's something that gives the game a unique feeling when you're visiting these people's lives and seeing what they do."

Looking at the setting, art director Aaron Garbut noted it was bigger than San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto 4, and Red Dead Redemption combined. It's so vast that you can even don scuba gear and explore its ocean floor.

Why so big? Well, LA is the largest city in the world geographically and Houser said the studio felt like it only scratched the surface of what the city had to offer in games like San Andreas and Midnight Club: Los Angeles and it wanted to make a proper game about LA. "We felt we hadn't done that with San Andreas - which was these very small, sketchlike cities," Houser explained.

"The geography you could get outside Los Angeles is spectacular," added Houser. "The contrast between desert/rural Southern California, inland from LA and just a bit north, compared to LA, gives you a great microcosm of red state/blue state theme - different vibes culturally as much as geographically. I think that was something we really felt would be good about this location."

Houser also confirmed that familiar faces from GTA 4 and Episodes From Liberty City may make an appearance, but no one from the PS2 era games will show up because the "high definition universe" is completely separate from those titles.

Other details include the ability to flip off people [give them the middle finger - a gesture meaning "f*** you" in the US], which will result in different reactions from various citizens. Some rough-and-tumble types may throw down, while soccer moms will have a very different - and probably funnier - reaction.

Also confirmed was some sort of multiplayer component, though Rockstar is keeping mum on the details of that for now. The report noted that the multiplayer option was located just under switching characters in the menu, suggesting that some sort of co-op will be available.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... ils-emerge
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby OL » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:48 am

Everything sounded great until they go out of their way to mention that you can now flip people off. #-o
More sophistocated, high-class interactivity, courtesy of the fine folks at Rockstar.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:54 am

But sure did Claude not do that in GTA 3? I cant remember if you hit a button to do it, but i can remember standint in front of a car whilst it beeped its horn, and Claude flipped the driver the bird. Didnt Tommy also do it in Vice City too?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Golf Wang » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:02 am

Ryudo wrote:
Golf Wang wrote: This game is going to fucking epic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk[/youtube]

I know what it means. It means exactly what I said, and I'll say it again. This game is going to be fucking epic.

Golf Wang has received a thanks from: Who Really Cares?
Golf Wang
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: G0LFxWANG
Currently playing: Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:20 am

Peter wrote: But sure did Claude not do that in GTA 3? I cant remember if you hit a button to do it, but i can remember standint in front of a car whilst it beeped its horn, and Claude flipped the driver the bird. Didnt Tommy also do it in Vice City too?

Yeah, they did. Just an automatic animation when you walk in front of a car and they honk at you, I think.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Sailors? » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:16 am

Like many other here I'll be buying GTA V for the pure fun, gun blazing, hooker shooting game that it is. If I can afford a first day release then I'll get it first day. But let's not pretend it's going to be the greatest story ever told and let's just enjoy it for what it is, a fun game set in a massive environment.

Hopefully the combats better, I'd like more chances to counter. Apart from that I have high hopes for this game being one of the best GTAs in every aspect. I like the idea of the three character thing but I'm thinking I'll probably play as each character fully throughout without switching. Then maybe play it another time whilst switching through (A great move by Rockstar btw).

Sailors? has received a thanks from: OL
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:54 am

Rockstar boss and Grand Theft Auto writer Dan Houser has said he argued against a new instalment leaving the series' traditional US setting.

"I thought about it. A lot. Argued it every which way. I think, my own sense, speaking for myself and not for the company, is that it's as much a product Americana. That's such a big part of the game," Houser told InsideGamer.nl.

"You could make a great game set in Amsterdam. Would it be GTA? I don't know. We haven't done it, so I can't really offer a comment or an opinion on it. We've avoided it because we think that part of the experience of GTA is its engagement with America, or American media, American movies, American culture."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... redemption

Pics in the link
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:42 am

Pretty boring just looking at screenshots. Pretty much looks like any other no-name game. This is one of those I'll need to see videos of to appreciate, I'm sure.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:11 pm

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/37 ... e-flying/#

Dan Houser, co-founder of Rockstar and co-writer of Grand Theft Auto 5, has said the immense size of Los Santos was necessary to accommodate flying.

Last week Houser was quoted as saying that GTA 5's world is bigger than Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas and GTA 4 combined.

Now Houser has told The Guardian that players will be doing a lot of flying in GTA 5 so it was important to the studio that there's plenty of airspace.

"We wanted to make a big place, as much as anything, to allow you to fly," he said. "A lot of the decisions, we're talking about them here on a philosophical level, but they're also practical decisions, too: we're making a game. You have to understand the medium.

"On an obvious level we wanted somewhere big so you can fly properly - we have a lot of missions that involve flying, in helicopters or whatever, it was logical. Also, Jet skis work better around LA than they would in New York.

"We're using the environment to let us have toys we couldn't have had otherwise," Houser added. "And equally, we're using the story and environment to introduce missions that can be more extreme. In some ways we wanted the game to have a larger-than-life Hollywood feel; the stories we heard in LA, we wanted to capture them in the game. If the place isn't informing what we're doing, we're not using it correctly."

IGN preview of 1st mission that was taken down

http://www.gta-v5.com/2012/11/12/ign-gt ... ublishing/

Be warned Houser gave away a BIG story spoiler in an interview in the New York Times

http://www.oxm.co.uk/47564/rockstar-bos ... y-spoiler/
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:59 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzue74y7A84[/youtube]

:D :D

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Yukupo
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:00 pm

This looks pretty amazing. The story seems like it's actually going to be something good rather then just a throwaway like in past entries. OL already said it but Rockstar have improved a lot when it comes to story so that helps my hype levels go up. I'll be getting this day one for sure.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:43 pm

All i need now is for them to say you can play the missions in 3 player co op. That would be amazing and its looking like GTA wants to be fun again.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:05 pm

^Can't seem to find it but I'm pretty sure I read yesterday or today that there would be no multiplayer for the main game.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Tuffty » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:11 pm

Definately getting a Breaking Bad influence with it. Can only be a good thing.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming