Tales Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Tales Series

Postby Bluecast » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: yea everyone is getting them but its really limited from what they're saying, it could be some areas are only getting shipments to Gamestop.

Well Xenoblade only had a Gamestop release in the US and sold about 400K. Better than anyone else in the world by far. Granted had OR behind it but that site is still up and now just a new RPG gamer site really. Ni no Kuni did well. JRPG fans are voting more with wallets this past year or so.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Thats because the realization that you need to buy stuff when it first comes out got made nice and clear.

I think its kind of important for companies to short ship and undercut, cause as soon as people get too comfortable they're going to stop buying day 1. Plus it keeps costs down.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:51 pm

I have a lot coming out in August for me and know I will sadly have to cancel my FF Artbook set which I am sure in a year will sell for 500$. So is Xillia going to be one of those games that is you don't preorder get ready to pay ebay collector prices?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:52 pm

I dunno whats going on with the normal version, but the CE certainly will be.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Considering my history with the Tales series I'd be ok without the CE. Be nice to have the CD but oh well. I really just want to pick this up for 20-30$ months later,standard edition if possible.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Its gunna be weird, its likely gunna drop then go up in price
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Just hope I don;t do to this what I did to the Mega Man Tribute Udon book. I was ready to finally get this month and was only 25$ forever. Just never really had the chance then when I did the book is in the hundreds. WTF HAPPENED IN A MONTH? I sometime hate the assholes who drive prices up. I don;t collect to sell. So don;t care if Xenoblade is worth 1$ or 150$. Just a damn Fan Art book from Udon so why is it so pricey? Bah. So if unable to obtain Xillia I will try for Abyss on 3DS.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:07 pm

Yo AG amazon is open

http://operationrainfall.com/tales-of-x ... at-amazon/

I placed an extra order, if I end up with two I'll sell the extra to whoever wants it at the same cost it was to me +shipping to you.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:14 am

pre-ordered. IT SHALL BE MINE!
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:07 am

Yep, I was waiting for it to appear on Amazon. Saw that the day before yesterday and ordered immediately.
I may want to order quicker in the future though. It was probably a little risky waiting to do it. If I missed out, I would have been fucking pissed.

Anyway, actual Tales conversation (which will probably just be me talking to myself. Or maybe Segata):
Twenty-something hours into Vesperia now, and it actually managed to surprise me a bit with its story. I don't go into Tales games expecting twists or surprises necessarily, so it was pretty welcome.
So after epically fighting off the badguys and completing the first sort of "arc" of the story, the game goes into a series of scenes showing the aftermath of everything, and Yuri actually does something I totally wouldn't expect out of a Tales protagonist:
One of the villains is set to get away with all of his misdeads due to political position, so late at night Yuri ambushes the guy and fucking assassinates him while the guy begs for his life.

It might not sound like anything all that crazy in the grand scheme of videogame stories/characters, but Tales main characters are usually really goody-goody, so a situation like this really sets Yuri apart within his own series. I mean, yeah, he's basically "good" the rest of the time anyway, but the fact that he's willing to engage in morally-dubious acts like that makes it much more interesting. I was already loving the game, but even more now because of that.
This might end up taking Tales of the Abyss's place as my favorite of the series. Really enjoying the hell out of it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:19 pm

Thats basically the highlight of the whole game, Yuri is the fucking man. He does a lot of cool shit like that.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:36 pm

that reminds me I need to load Tales of Eternia for PSP and check it out.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Stocke » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:03 pm

Unlike the other games, Yuri goes through very little character development. He's a boss from start to finish. Flynns more like your typical tales of hero.

Yuri is definitely my favorite character.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:07 pm

I smell another fiasco. apparently amazon has halted pre-order for xillia CE, and now gamestop has them available to pre-order again lol. Silly Silly...

So Tales of Eternia's battle system seems really basic, I know I am only at the very begging and im sure it gets more complex but it feels like a fighting game with how you run back and forth on a 2d plain. I am going to have to spend a little more time with it, but the old PS1 nostalgia is definitely there.
and I am ready to make babies with it

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:00 pm

The battle systems always get a little more complex, especially during later boss fights where it eventually becomes necessary to pause the action and tell teammates to use specific artes. The Tales series has never really been all that difficult though, so just make sure not to go in expecting much of a challenge. I can't speak for Eternia yet, but the rest of the series has always felt to me like it's more about... enjoyability rather than difficulty.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming