Tales Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Tales Series

Postby OL » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Looks like I'll be maining as Alvin, then. Really like his design and combos. This'll be my first 3D Tales game, tell me though, is any of the other ones in 3D worth playing (ones without too much animu, preferably).

Of course liking the series as much as I do, the twitch reaction would be to say "oh yeah, they're all worth playing," but taking your tastes into account, I can't actually say that's the case.
The problem is, I know you hate the cheesy anime stuff, and yet that's pretty much a hallmark of the series overall. You did say you were enjoying Eternia before though, so maybe you're a little more open to it then I had thought.

Either way, probably the most worthwhile of the 3D ones I've played is Tales of the Abyss (either for the PS2 or the 3DS; they're the same game overall). It's got a cool overall story, the protagonist goes through a pretty legitimate character arc, the battle system is great, and except for a few cases, it isn't all too cutesy. I'd imagine if you enjoyed Eternia, this one shouldn't come off as being all too offensive.
Of course I haven't played through Vesperia (which seems to be one of the more popular entries in the series) so I can't comment too much on that yet, except to say that it looks like it has a pretty similar vibe to Abyss, so it might also be one of the more bearable ones.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:01 pm

Yeah, Eternia is charming though, it's not really stupid like some clips I've seen in the past from certain Tales games. Abyss is on the 3DS, so I think I'll grab that one next, thanks.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:50 pm

So did some hunting around on line, I now have the european version of Tales of Eternia for PSP. 8)
and FF type-0

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:56 pm

Ok. Tell me more about this game. Already know my history with the series. The CE looks nice and tempted but only thing I would not want is the figure. OST I am a sucker for Artbooks I am a sucker for. Tell me why as a person who has only played 3 games, Legendia,TOS,TOS2 might like Xillia and Abyss.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:45 pm

Yeah Symphonia didnt really suck me in like I thought it would. I remember playing the first like 7 or 8 hours of it and just losing interest. The visuals were fine, I liked them, the battle system I dont think I quite caught on to. the battle system looked kind of like grandia but you were actually controlling one of the characters in real time, and that sounds like a good combo I think Xillia might be my second chancer for the tales series, either that or eternia.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:37 pm

So saw a trailer few min ago on the Giant Bomb Roku channel. Gotta say looks not bad. Looks more like a game I could get into. Won't be jumping on the preorder train yet but now have some interest and follow this a bit more.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:02 am

:|
I posted a gameplay vid not long ago that you immediately responded to, saying it turned you off because it just looked like more cliche anime stuff, as the Tales series always is. And you've criticized the battle system from earlier ones before, saying that it looked bland and lame; this one doesn't actually look much different from previous games in the series.
So... I guess sticking a JRPG in a collector's edition with an art book is the key to making you interested then?
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:12 am

OL wrote: :|
I posted a gameplay vid not long ago that you immediately responded to, saying it turned you off because it just looked like more cliche anime stuff, as the Tales series always is. And you've criticized the battle system from earlier ones before, saying that it looked bland and lame; this one doesn't actually look much different from previous games in the series.
So... I guess sticking a JRPG in a collector's edition with an art book is the key to making you interested then?

No it was a story trailer on Giant Bomb's Roku channel. Didn't show any gameplay. Since it was a story trailer it showed more of the characters close up. Didn't look so cutesy big head thing TOS and Legendia did that drove me nuts. Story looked a bit interesting
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:50 am

So it was the size of the characters' heads that put you off the series before?
And here I thought you liked Final Fantasy IX...
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:52 pm

OL wrote: So it was the size of the characters' heads that put you off the series before?
And here I thought you liked Final Fantasy IX...

Not sure if teasing or misunderstanding.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:26 pm

Questioning.
I just find it weird that after all the stuff I've posted in the past about it, and all of your insistence that the series is nothing but an annoying bag of unlikable cliches with an uninspired battle system, for some reason you're suddenly interested in this one (which, let's be honest, doesn't look much different from earlier games at all, big heads or not).
I just find it odd.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:33 pm

This is what I saw and don;t even remember your vids. http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/tales-o ... 2300-7250/

The game from this trailer just looks more interesting from the story side of things.
No I don;t hate or love all big head looking games. Depends,Love Sonic Windwaker,IX Didn't like,Legendia,FFIII.

Just depends really and no idea why I like or dislike a certain look for big head characters. Some I like some I don't.

Not even important tho. I don't remember watching your vids and a as person who can sometimes change their mind on a whim. What I said a month ago might have changed since then. Sometimes not even aware of it myself. All I know is what I saw in the trailer in the link I posted got me to pay more attention to the game. Besides what does it matter. If one more person is interested then why argue lol?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Thats the exact trailer that OL posted on the last page lol

To be fair though, thats the same trailer that kind of sparked my interest a little bit more for the game too, the world looks pretty cool in Xillia after watching it, and some of the charcters seem interesting too, and possibly that the story could be something to keep an eye on. My opinion has been kind of on the fence about the tales series in general and I have spent little to no time with the series at all. Dont really feel like i know what its all about at all. Eternia always looked the most engaging to me. Not sure if I would give some of the past entries I started a chance again, like Symphonia.

Was there ever a fan translation of the real Tales of Destiny 2?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:10 pm

I didn't see it as I pretty much avoided this topic. I didn;t want to mess it up with Tales ranting so left it alone so why I missed any vids posted in the topic. I have Ys,Dragons Crown,Project X Zone, Wii U I been saving up for so I can;t say I will pre order this yet. Also just need to see more. maybe click on a couple vids. It does look better than the games I played and loathed. So for now I am giving this a fair shot.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Stocke » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:00 pm

^ If you don't like the earlier games in the series like ToS I'm not sure you'd like this any better. By all means give it a go, but if you're not sure i wouldn't pay full price.

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Was there ever a fan translation of the real Tales of Destiny 2?

If i remember correctly, the group that is handling that translation is doing Tales of Destiny DC first. Found out about it after following the Tales of Innocence translation project.

While I'm excited, i imagine it's gonna take a long time for them to release anything. The Tales of Destiny DC translation started in early 2009. I'm sure we've got a few years wait yet.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming