Recent Gaming Purchases

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:38 pm

sand4fish wrote: I just got this awesome looking official LP, and feeling like playing the game again.

Best Christmas game of all time right next to Shenmue 1. Been a few years since I last played it, still one of my all time favourite games that I shouted about too much back in the day, think I started harassing people on the Dojo to play it to mixed results, haha. Don't think Snatcher will ever be surpassed, aside from the first Nier or the first Dark Souls or some really old games with the knowing nothing about a game before playing it - which I kinda miss actually. I went into it with the "I know absolutely nothing about this game aside from the fact that it was Directed by Hideo Kojima before he made it big with Metal Gear Solid" then being like a few hours later like "Oh my goodness, this is one of the best games ever, woah, how did I not try this out sooner, wow wow wow".

The music is sooooo good for that game too. Literally everything on the aesthetics scale for me is a straight 10/10 - Cyberpunk game set in a post apocalyptic desolate world, adventure game with beautiful pixel art and fantastic synth music soundtrack and an engrossing narrative & characters when Kojima was at his absolute peak. That game will stay with me forever.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: sand4fish
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Mr. Frozen » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:07 pm

I guess I completed the Mass Effect trial even though I have 4 hours remaining. They stop you early at a point in the story instead of playing the full 10 hours, which I think is a bit irritating even though I can understand their reasoning.

Anyway, I do kinda like the game. I feels very mass effect like, and all the videos I've seen about how the shit the game appear to be meming trolls. I'll definitely be purchasing the game on release, and I think any other Mass Effect fan will enjoy this game. My only legit gripe about the game is the low amount of people on your ship. There isn't even any sort of crew, just the main characters. I suppose one can say the AI can run the entire ship, and a barebones crew fits in with the story but come on, one of the neat things about the previous mass effect games was being able to talk to the lower ranking crew on your ship. Maybe it'll change later on when you make more planets viable and the other humans are able to wake up?
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:38 pm

Mr. Frozen wrote: I guess I completed the Mass Effect trial even though I have 4 hours remaining. They stop you early at a point in the story instead of playing the full 10 hours, which I think is a bit irritating even though I can understand their reasoning.

Anyway, I do kinda like the game. I feels very mass effect like, and all the videos I've seen about how the shit the game appear to be meming trolls. I'll definitely be purchasing the game on release, and I think any other Mass Effect fan will enjoy this game. My only legit gripe about the game is the low amount of people on your ship. There isn't even any sort of crew, just the main characters. I suppose one can say the AI can run the entire ship, and a barebones crew fits in with the story but come on, one of the neat things about the previous mass effect games was being able to talk to the lower ranking crew on your ship. Maybe it'll change later on when you make more planets viable and the other humans are able to wake up?

I totally dig the combat and exploration aspects of the game, but the presentation seems very unpolished to me. There's a really wacky walking animation (pay attention to Cora as example) and sometimes during running as well. The facial animations take me away from the immersion as characters don't seem to react as they should in certain situations and their strange blank stares during most conversation exchanges are a bit off putting (see video). When I compare it to the animations seen in Horizon Zero Dawn I can't help but feel disappointed. Anyway, I'll buy this game eventually as it seems to play way better than the predecessors mechanically.

phpBB [video]
Last edited by sand4fish on Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:14 am

Her facial expressions creep me the fuck out.

And that one on the left? I think I can apply makeup better then she could, and that's fucking sad.

On the plus side I could really get behind shooting up a room full of Reapers and zoidberg walking out. Woo Woowoo Woo Woop!
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:09 am

Those walking/running animations are pretty hilarious. This is developed by a new team at Bioware. AFAIK, the actual Mass Effect team are developing a new IP, not Andromeda, the actual developers of Andromeda are the Montreal team who made the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and that's it, which might explain why the combat looks so good but the presentation is really struggling. I mean, that and the fact that a lot of the old developers have now left Bioware like Casey Hudson who was the director of the series and has now left. I will be getting it in a couple of months time when it goes on sale probably, despite being a fan of ME (1 and 2 were a couple of my favourite games last gen) I am waiting it out for this since there's so much to play and Persona 5 is just around the corner now.

Also, my face is tired.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Mr. Frozen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:38 am

Apparently the lead facial animator is some woman with little experience in animating together and zero experience with any sort of facial animation.

http://theralphretort.com/a-cosplayer-w ... a-3017017/

I don't think the facial animations are that bad, though. There only exception being that woman with the shit makeup that was posted in the video above. I literally laughed out loud when she said "my face is tired" as if she was trying to explain away why she was expressing no emotion.

EDIT: AAAAND Bioware recently tweeted that she wasn't a lead or even a current employeer of Bioware. I fell victim to quality game journalism. I think I am gonna void any internet related drama surrounding this game and just wait till release. Apparently I can use a hong kong VPN to play on monday, so that'll be pretty sweet.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:12 pm

I found a sealed copy of the first edition of this game! Quite pristine for its age. As I never actually got to the end of DX1 back in the day, I decided to play it again on a Steam copy I got while I take a break from the newer games I've been playing.

sand4fish has received 4 thanks from: Henry Spencer, Mr357, OL, Raithos
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Raithos » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:

ImageImageImage

Raithos has received 4 thanks from: Axm, Henry Spencer, Mr357, OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:19 pm

phpBB [video]

Raithos wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:

ImageImageImage

:rotflmao:
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:52 pm

Three dollars for an AM2 sports game where girls in bikinis hug it out after each match? Yes please. Also, Custom Robo is awesome.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bambi » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Following a break from gaming I decided I wanted to ease myself back into things with something nice and short. Instead I picked this and the expansion up. 7 hours in (I can only play around an hour at night) and I'm still in the first area doing side quests and gathering herbs... :rotflmao:

Bambi has received a thanks from: Raithos
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Mr. Frozen » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:53 am

Checking in for Mass Effect Andromeda. This game has A CRAPTON of content and seriously rewards anyone who likes to explore the game world. I am about 30 hours in the game and I only just started to get into the meat and potatoes of the story, I think. Last game I remember giving me so much satisfaction for exploration was the Shenmue series so that is saying a lot. If you are able to get yourself fully immersed in the story and feel like you are the pathfinder, you are really going to enjoy this game. I have to admit that the voice lines are a bit cheesy and crappy, but really that is just a small part of the game that can pretty much be ignored.

I think this game got mediocre reviews because the game never explicitly tells you to do anything other than the main story quests. I honestly think that any reviewer who was able to finish the game before launch didn't even bother with all the extra stuff that makes this game good because there seems to be like an entire game for people who are willing to explore the planets. Example being my recent time spent on one of the planets, Voeld. You are only forced to go to that planet for one tiny quest, and then you can pretty much forget about it. I ended up going back because you need to do extra things on it for the loyalty missions of two of your crew members. Turns out there is an entire war you can help finish, and you can even setup a human colony on that planet after you figure out how to terraform it. None of this shit was even hinted at in the tiny quest that you were forced to complete. If you just follow the main story, you actually will be compelled to leave the planet and move elsewhere immediately.

Mr. Frozen has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Raithos
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:22 am

IMO the best controller ever made.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:35 am

Thief wrote:IMO the best controller ever made.

Nah, this is the best controller ever made:

To this day still the best 2D fighter controller ever made, among it's many other capabilities. Segata Sanshiro would be proud.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Mr357
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:04 am

The Dreamcast, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 4 controllers are up there, too.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming