Recent Gaming Purchases

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Postby Raithos » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:19 pm

What a tease! They shipped my stuff separately. So the game and accessories arrived today, Switch is scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Raithos has received 3 thanks from: Anonymous81, Axm, sand4fish
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Axm » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:51 pm

Oh snap didn't know you're getting a Switch. Maybe the first person on this forum?
Give us some impressions of the device. ;)

Axm has received a thanks from: Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:13 pm

I wasn't going to buy right at launch, but when pre-orders went up my will power went out the window. I love handhelds so being able to play BotW on my lunch break was too good to pass up. I'll definitely write up my thoughts after I put it through the wringer.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:31 pm

No money for a Switch sadly so the special edition will just be a pretty box for the collection for the time being. I am dismayed however that Best Buy would callously slap a huge bar code sticker on the side of the box that peeled some of the print off when removed despite my being extremely gentle with it.

I had originally configured the special edition to be an in store pick up fearing a dirt cheap mailing envelope utterly mangling the box in transit, but it seems as though Best Buy managed to defile it anyway. There is no more stock at this point sadly so replacement is impossible; it is a refund or nada. The people who got the Master Edition from Best Buy reported it got mailed in a very large protective outer box with air padding and everything. Wish I'd known. :(

Sonikku has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Raithos, sand4fish
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:01 pm

That sucks, sorry to hear that. I do store pickup from time to time, but I know those red and white stickers they put on there can do some damage. Since the box is "soft" it probably made it even worse. Same thing happened with my No Man's Sky but luckily they had more in the back. I wouldn't try to take the circle sticker off either.

New New 3DS (lol) too or just included in the pic? If new, the 3D/face tracking is so much better than the OG ones. Plus its gold :). I recommend this Hori protector thing. Its super cheap, almost 100% see through and will keep the gold from scratching and flaking off. I have one on my Majora's Mask N3DS.

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Duraflexi-C ... %2Bxl&th=1

Raithos has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Just included in the pic. :) It was a Gamestop exclusive that sold out a year ago. It's hard to find any new 3DS these days, much less the limited editions. I've looked at the hori protector, but it appears some are having issues of the protector peeling off some of the paint right off the 3ds itself. :shock:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:15 pm

You know I read someone's post on Reddit about that happening to his red xl but it was the PDP cover he had on it. I believe they are made of the same material but the PDP one is completely flat on the inside. Heat makes it stick to the console and form bubbles. Area around the bubbles stuck to the console. Then when removed he said it pulled up spots of red paint. I would of been pissed! lol

The first run of Hori's for the regular XL were flat too. I'm sure they had the same problem most likely. I had one on my link between worlds XL for like 2+ years before I removed it and sold it. It was fine but I never left it in the heat or anything. All the N3DS ones from them have this soft mesh like texture on the inside (you can seen it in close up pics). It keeps it from making solid contact with the console like the PDP ones. No peeling plastic from plastic when you try to remove it.

Its not something that's a must, just gives me that piece of mind to not have to baby it like an egg :)
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:38 pm

Owlboy was a gift from my brother on Steam for my recent-ish birthday. Was wanting it for a long time, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
With Legend of Legacy, it was surprising to see that the excellent launch edition was still available in some places for the same price it started as. I really liked the hour or so I played of the demo.
Malicious Fallen is beautiful. Feels a bit silkier than the previous Vita release as well.

Still, can't really tackle any of these fully yet, since I'm still backlogged with Nioh, Gravity Rush 2 (I still haven't finished that? For shame), and Yakuza 0. And then the new Styx is coming out in a week. And Nioh's first DLC is out this month. And for some reason I started playing Infinite Space again.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, sand4fish
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:02 pm

^ Shout out to Infinite Space! Such an epic experience on a underpowered device like the DS. I still have a copy somewhere and it sure could use some dusting off it. My favourite title on the system along with Ghost Trick and Fire Emblem Heroes of Light and Shadow.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: OL
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby OL » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Yeah, I only played about 7 hours a few years ago, but I did really like where it seemed to be leading. I'm now right around the part I stopped at before, and at the very least I think I understand the mechanics much better this time. Yeah, definitely an impressive scale for a handheld game, and besides that it gives me kind of an Outlaw Star vibe, which I love. Would be nice to see an updated version on 3DS, if only it weren't so obscure; would be awesome to see these space graphics in 3D.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:34 pm

If you have never reached the second half of the game, then you are in for a treat. If I remember it correctly, the the scope of its story was really amazing to the point that it surpasses even what the big budgeted likes of Mass Effect could offer. The addicting customization and collecting parts and ships mechanic kept me glued to the game to no end. I remember playing it for long hours just to build a dream fleet and use it to battle against other players via WiFi. Epic stuff.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:14 am

OL wrote:Owlboy was a gift from my brother on Steam for my recent-ish birthday. Was wanting it for a long time, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I'm waiting for the console release of this, seems to be a pretty great thing. : )
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:02 am

I'm going to buy a switch since going to another country means almost 50% off anything electronic in my country.

But I'm so fucking salty about not having a ps4 right now I'm maybe going for it (Yakuza0, Nioh, Horizon, FFXV, TLG, P5), just a great time to get one.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Monkei » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:42 am

shredingskin wrote:But I'm so fucking salty about not having a ps4 right now I'm maybe going for it (Yakuza0, Nioh, Horizon, FFXV, TLG, P5), just a great time to get one.

Indeed a good time to get one. Seems pretty future proof as well, with games like Death Stranding, Spider-Man, God of War, The Last of Us Part II, Days Gone and so on.. not to mention multiplatform titles like Red Dead Redemption 2, Psychonauts 2, Kingdom Hearts III, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 Remake. And obviously: Shenmue III. The longer you wait the less you'll know where to fucking start : D
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:27 pm

OL wrote: Yeah, I only played about 7 hours a few years ago, but I did really like where it seemed to be leading. I'm now right around the part I stopped at before, and at the very least I think I understand the mechanics much better this time. Yeah, definitely an impressive scale for a handheld game, and besides that it gives me kind of an Outlaw Star vibe, which I love. Would be nice to see an updated version on 3DS, if only it weren't so obscure; would be awesome to see these space graphics in 3D.

Hifumi Kono, the director of Infinite Space, is best known as the creator of Clock Tower and Steel Batallion. And what's this, you're playing a game from Platinum Games? What's the world coming to? :P

I'd love to replay that game.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming