Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby OL » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:41 pm

Yes, the kitty cat "beanie of dedication" really gets the blood rushing to all the right places.

OL has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:12 pm

:lol:

Yeah, that thing im not so sure about, its my least favorite item in that set. Im more curious how that thing corresponds with the game at this point. I might know a girl or 2 that would be willing to wear it while I have my way though, may even pretend shes a kitty cat for me. ;-)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:27 pm

I finally decided to play the Kinect sports demo on XBO today.. dear lord that was horrible.
Next time I want to flail my arms and body around like an idiot I know where to go.

Axm has received a thanks from: Yama
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:42 am

Raithos has received a thanks from: Mitsuzuki
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Kenny » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:49 pm

Raithos wrote: Image

phpBB [video]

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, Mitsuzuki
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Mitsuzuki » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:57 pm

Haha, brilliant.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:15 pm

phpBB [video]
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:18 am

^^Didn't listen to it all the way through because I'm a bit busy at the moment (kind of skipped around to get the gist), but I just wanted to comment on the girl's take on the latest Turok.
She mentions that it's offensive that he's a Native character, but has this white mentor that "teaches" him about being a Native (and I put teaches in quotes just because I think the character already knew these things; more on that later). And ordinarily, yeah, I think that would be a legitimate complaint to have. But in this particular case, I think it's important to note that that white mentor also turns out to be the main villain of the entire game.
The game isn't exactly high art in the writing department, but I remember thinking even back then that this was supposed to be like this white man forcing his perceived stereotype on the one Native person he has under his command. Turok himself is initially supposed to be sort of the prison-hardened tough who isn't concerned with whatever culture is in his blood. But then this white character comes in and says "you're an Indian. Here, use a bow and a knife. That's what you people do, right? You'll be good at it."
I always thought that was the intention, that the villain was offensive, not Turok himself. Chances are, Turok already knew plenty about his own culture; he didn't need anyone to tell him how to be Native. But his white commanding officer wants Turok to fit into this stereotype, so that's how he trains him.
Honestly, I think that particular Turok is actually one of the more inoffensive portrayals of a Native character in gaming, if only for the reason that, from his own perspective, the fact that he's Native doesn't entirely matter. He is his own person, and doesn't personally define himself by who his ancestors were.
It's a far cry from most other Native portrayals, where their stories revolve entirely around the fact that they're Cherokee, Iroquois, or what have you. I mean, why is it that almost every other Native character is like that, but not every black character's story revolves around the fact that their ancestors were once in Africa? There's a serious imbalance in fiction in that regard. Why can you have black, white, Asian, or Hispanic characters who are just "some guy," but Native characters always have to hover around the fact that they're Native?
Like I said, Turok might not be the highest of quality in the writing department, but I remember having that notion about things when I first played it, that here was finally a Native character that wasn't really predefined by his racial background. That that was intentional. And for that I personally really liked it.

OL has received a thanks from: Jokatech19
OL
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:27 am

Playing around with a cool little video effect I just discovered, which can make footage look a bit like a drawing. I then used a variation of that effect to make it look like it's in print, like in a magazine or an old movie poster.
I might have to use this for an intro or something. It looks great.

OL
Shenmue III

Postby Oppy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:18 pm

For anyone that's interested, Assassins Creed Pirates is free on apples AppStore for the rest of the week.
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:43 pm

OL wrote: Playing around with a cool little video effect I just discovered, which can make footage look a bit like a drawing. I then used a variation of that effect to make it look like it's in print, like in a magazine or an old movie poster.
I might have to use this for an intro or something. It looks great.

Is that vector graphics? Does look kinda cool. Can't wait to see your new video!

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: OL
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:14 pm

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:19 am

Hits the nail on the head. If you buy DLC STOP! if you pay for early access STOP! Stop buying into these disgraceful acts, they are only there to take advantage of us, and ulatimately is developers telling gamers they dont give a fuck. I cannot and will not support that.

If I buy a game for retail price, thats all im paying, I should get a complete game. Not 3/4 of a game then be expected to pay more to finish it, thats insane, how the fuck were people so idiotic as to support this?

Paying for early access? So now the gamers have to pay to beta test a developers game? OH HELL MOTHER FUCKING NO. If anything it should be the other way around... Gaming these days man, a part of me really really hates what its become. *watches childhood burn*
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:00 pm

You do realise that the majority of DLC out there are essentially just add-on/expansion packs, right? And that they are rarely intended to be part of the finished product? And they are stated towards the end of the development cycle?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with DLC in terms of DownLoadable Content. If you've paid full price for a game and it's. Disc Locked Content, then yes, there is a massive problem with that, but otherwise it's just an additional game that is cheaper to buy because it's being built on top of a game you already own.

If you don't want DLC, don't buy it. Personally, I love the fact that I can hang onto a game after I've finished with it because I know I'll get more out of it in the future.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:56 pm

They only kind of dlc I am ok with is to patch or fix bugs. If its expansion material, I want it on a disc, or atleast have a code with a disc I just bought. For example how I intentionally waited this long to buy Uncharted 3, so I could get game of the year edition for cheap, and it includes all the extras. And obviously I dont ever buy DLC. I absolutely prefer getting some kind of disc based media, as someone said here before, data on a hard drive has no resell value, if anything it should be cheaper to buy a DLC game or expansion, I wouldnt be so irked if the prices were adjusted accordingly but guess what? they arent! they are the same as if I were to buy a new physical copy from the store and obviously they just pocket the extra cash. I dont like cutting edges and this whole less = more in the name of sophistication is a load of bullshit.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming