Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby sand4fish » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:43 am

Monkei wrote: ^ Just erased that game from my 'to-play-someday'-list..

Maybe I can change your mind if I show you the custom character I put tons of effort in creating right here:

phpBB [video]

sand4fish has received 3 thanks from: Monkei, OL, Raithos
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Monkei » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:22 am

Nice job. :lol:
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Raithos » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:32 am

So my friend is playing Andromeda and told me they removed the ability wheel lol like wtf? That was an integral part of the combat, especially on insanity play throughs. He said you can still pause combat by bringing up the weapon menu and direct people where to go, but can no longer control their powers like the first 3 games. The more I hear about it the less I want to play it.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Monkei » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:38 pm

^ The lack of new alien races is a huge wtf and turn off for me..

The whole thing is weird, EA not really doing much to promote the game and everything.. guess they knew it would disappoint. Why have it developed at all then, heh.

EDIT: I got that wrong, there are two new alien races.
Last edited by Monkei on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Holy shit. The classics collection I had no idea I wanted so much.

phpBB [video]

OL has received a thanks from: Monkei
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:40 pm

Ducktales is the best. Though technically it may have predated the "Disney Afternoon" block. :-k
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:09 pm

I'm enjoying the fuck out of Yakuza 0 right now.

I think I'll leave in the backlog FFXV, TLG, Horizon and Torment tides of numenera for a while.

I don't know if videogames had a second wind or it's the climate, but there's something.

But really, I think that Zelda just ignited the flames I have for videogames again, even to games I just tend to consier "too long and repetitive or just lack virtue".

It's just THAT good, it gets right even the most basic things we thought in other games were right.

Like fucking WALKING and RUNNING, it's just so WOW.

Also it's fun playing BotW, FFXV, and Yakuza 0 back to back. Specially Yakuza 0 and FFXV.

FFXV seems like a big world beautiful world full of nothing, fetch quests and beautiful vistas.
BotW seems like ADVENTURE at every step, in a world that seems daunting, big, but at the same time inviting.
Yakuza 0 is a tiny game (compared to open world games), full of fetch quests, but everything is so close and the substories tend to make you chuckle that it seems like a waste not doing them, and they feel rewarding despite not being full on "gameplay reward". Even while some times the game goes "let's go to this place" my head screams "not more wasting time running just to get to point X to Y" before the game goes to a cutscene elapsing that.
The game looks deep, even while it's very small and just cosmetic detail, but the narrative carries to that other level (and I fucking love how crazy, soap opera, humorous, and dramatic it can be). It's packed with content, but I actually feel like playing the game (and not the game playing with me, that's what I feel with most open world games, WRPGs, JRPGs).

FFXV tries to do the approach Witcher's / Elder Scrolls type of gameplay/subquests, but while the witcher's marveled people with rich and cinematic storytelling, and the elder scrolls gave the options to the player to try to customize your gameplay experience, in FFXV there's not much of any of those, so they feel like walking around A LOT.

FUCK, I really think that a lot of devs after playing Zelda will be like "do we start again, or just keep improving our stuff?".

How does the fuck nintendo can nail it so hard in terms of gameplay ? I do really think this game is actually an evolutionary stepstone in game design, and being that "freedom" it's what a lot of games try to accomplish, it's not a fucking little stone to step (or to climb, for that fucking matter).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Monkei » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:05 pm

OL wrote: Holy shit. The classics collection I had no idea I wanted so much.

phpBB [video]

I remember playing Chip'n'Dale as a child, the difficulty was merciless. Would love to relive the pain though, especially with the rewind feature.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Playing Nier automata on pc right now.

With a gtx 1080, the game does chug from time to time (at high 1440), and there's a lot of popping. Mostly on cutscenes for some reason.

I'm still not feeling the gameplay, but I have to admit it's quite different, I'm still not sold on this thing about having to toggle running (or the switch pro controller is acting bad).

The graphics and design as for now look really bland (the mechas are cool though).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Axm » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:46 am

I was playing Horizon like mad since it came out but this week I haven't touched it. It's just such a large world and perhaps alittle daunting just knowing that. I think after playing so many games like Dragon Age Inq, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy XV etc I am kinda burned out of such open world games. Which is another reason im sleeping on ME: Andromeda (besides on the problems with it)

However, Persona 5 is coming out and thats usually alot more of a linear RPG with a structured open world.. that's day one.
Cant believe after like 5 months of looking at the Japanese retail box in stores and lusting over it, it's finally coming out.

Axm has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:26 am

My PS4 broke and not one repair shop in my city fixes these things.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Raithos » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:57 am

What's wrong with it?
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Raithos » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:17 am

So this is pretty cool. Falcom translated a title never released in English before and is giving it away for free. Not sure when this happened but I check their site all the time and I've never seen it.

Its Vantage, a SRPG that was originally on PC then ported to PSP. English PC version is completely free to download. They even translated the manual.

https://www.falcom.com/vantage/index_e.html
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:53 pm

Raithos wrote: What's wrong with it?

When I turn it on sometimes it won't turn on and when it does it just does a beep and turns on for a split-second then turns off again as if the power cord had been yanked out.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Raithos » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:42 pm

Damn man that sounds like the power supply. That happened to my launch PS3. If you can find a replacement psu its actually very easy to change them. The model number for it should be online somewhere, if you can't find it I will look when I get home. If its not the psu that mobo could be shot.

Raithos has received a thanks from: south carmain
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming