Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:47 pm

S'ok. You're fine. When I first was introduced to the game by OL a few years ago it seemed odd to me as well. I grew to like the art design when I played it on my original Xbox. I don't know how long it's free. I assume a limited time.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:22 pm

I really wish Atlus would stop being dicks and let people use the share button on Persona 5. So many cool moments I want to capture. I just capture screenshots for my enjoyment.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Amihama0468 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:44 pm

In the last 7-8 months I've been extremely productive in finishing games. During this time I've completed (finished the main story of):
Ni No Kuni, Crash Bandicoot 1, Crash Bandicoot 2 (100%), Toy Commander, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, Alien Isolation,
Dishonored: Definitive Edition (plus story DLC), Mass Effect Andromeda, Call of Duty 3, TOCA World Touring Cars. I'm also really enjoying Mirror's Edge and only have 3 chapters left.

This is despite me over the years being terrible at finishing games. I think it's because after what happened to me at the end of last year I realise that I need to enjoy life more. So it's the front of my mind that I don't have to play any games if they're not enjoyable. Whereas in the past I've sometimes tried to force myself through games (normally not successfully)

Also, I'm in two minds about whether to buy Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. To what extent is the combat real-time/turn-based? I'm intrigued by the job system and the gameplay looks fun, but I very strongly dislike real-time sword based combat. Aside from the familiars, is it all similar to the combat system in Ni No Kuni?
Amihama0468
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:58 pm

People confuse ARPG with turn based because most the time they think Turn based is like Dragon Quest. FFXII is turn based. It's just presented differently. It feels like more action like but is turn based. Like Xenoblade is turn based. Dragon Age Origin's is turn based (your attacks timing relies entirely on your stats). FFXII is still basically ATB without battle transitions.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Amihama0468
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:33 pm

:king:

Bluecast has received 2 thanks from: Bambi, KidMarine
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Amihama0468 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:29 pm

Bluecast wrote: People confuse ARPG with turn based because most the time they think Turn based is like Dragon Quest. FFXII is turn based. It's just presented differently. It feels like more action like but is turn based. Like Xenoblade is turn based. Dragon Age Origin's is turn based (your attacks timing relies entirely on your stats). FFXII is still basically ATB without battle transitions.

Thanks for this, I think I'm going to buy it then. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't an Action RPG asI don't enjoy them. I loved Dragon Age: Origins and the ATB in FFx so looking forward to it!

Amihama0468 has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Amihama0468
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:13 pm

^Dragon Age Origins ripped off FFXII's combat systems, so you should be fine then. You have the option of playing it real time with pause (menu selection stopping all movement) or you can play it with Gambits (AI programming) or you can even play it like ATB style (real time with menu selections). Sup to you how you play it.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Raithos » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:57 pm

It was actually the other way around. That combat system has been a staple of computer RPG's for a long time, especially Bioware games. They did it with Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights and Knight of the Old Republic all before XII. The later two were their first 3D renditions of it though. All of them allowed for real time combat, pause movement and set up attacks, or customize your AI party with gambit like systems. So I would say FF XII stole it from them, then they used it again for Origins :)
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:44 am

I experienced one of the strangest glitches I have ever encountered in a game earlier today.

After approximately 200 hours logged on PS4, I recently purchased Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain for PC. So, earlier on today, I decided to tackle the "Pitch Dark" mission for the first time (it's the first mission in Africa during which you're tasked with shutting down an oil field, for those who are foggy on the details). After capturing Bwala ya Masa, I started sprinting to the oil field, and when I was about 700m away from it (according to the marker) the game locked up with nothing on-screen except for an extreme close-up of an upside-down rock for about three seconds before resuming... from inside the facility... about half-way through the cutscene where you shut down the pump controls. Big Boss literally sprinted through the very fabric of time and space, and I was absolutely flabbergasted! Then I successfully completed the mission and everything was business as usual.

This mightn't sound even close to anything others on here have experienced, but fucking hell was it a shock!
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:58 pm

Why does Sony make DLC region locked? So annoying. I had to make a new gmail account just so I could make a UK PSN account just so I could download my Wipeout HD themes from GAME.
Side note I am glad they ship across the sea but Gamestation was better to deal with in importing. I guess they absorbed them the same way Gamestop absorbed EB Games.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Raithos » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:42 pm

Why did you import it? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy the US release? I know they had a retro slipcover over there but eh. I've got one of each PSN account though already. Too many freebies we don't get.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:09 pm

Raithos wrote: Why did you import it? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy the US release? I know they had a retro slipcover over there but eh. I've got one of each PSN account though already. Too many freebies we don't get.

I wanted the Steelcase also 4 free themes. It was honestly the same price as the US version even with shipping that comes with the steelcase and themes.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Raithos » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Ah OK. Yeah I've known about the DLC region lock since I started importing Vita titles. The DLC authenticates on the servers they originate from, so if your PSN account isn't a part of that network then its all she wrote because it reaches out to US servers. Plus the codes are only good for their respective networks. Sucks because on Vita you can only have the one account unlike PS3/PS4 so there's no way around it sadly.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:05 am

Gundam Versus Trial free on JPN PSN. If you like ARMS or Virtual On this is for you.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/ ... VSPKG00001
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming