Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby south carmain » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:40 pm

You need to remove your fanboy goggles.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Bluecast
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Kintor » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:45 pm

south carmain wrote: You need to remove your fanboy goggles.

You need to understand why Sonic Forces exists; it's all because Sonic Generations was a smash hit. Sonic Generations, more than any other 3D Sonic game since the Dreamcast era has restored the reputation of the Sonic franchise. If it weren't experimental titles like Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom we wouldn't even be having any conversation about a negative reputation, Sonic Generations did that much to silence the usual criticisms levelled at Sonic games. Now Sonic Forces is set to do the same thing and even repair the damage done in recent years.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Yes we understand that fans are happy that they aren't getting a broke game this time around, no one said the contrary.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Bluecast
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kintor » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:20 pm

south carmain wrote: Yes we understand that fans are happy that they aren't getting a broke game this time around, no one said the contrary.

Fans are happy because Sega is at last developing the long awaited sequel to Sonic Generations. This means that Sonic Forces isn't just another 3D platformer; it's the kind of Sonic game fans have specifically been waiting six years to play.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Someone shoot me, please.

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Raithos
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:33 pm

This last pages
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

shredingskin has received 3 thanks from: Mr357, Raithos, Rakim
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Rakim » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:04 pm

#thefeels
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:25 pm

:???: Level-5 and Comcept merging?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Kintor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:50 am

south carmain wrote: Someone shoot me, please.

It's a pity then you don't acknowledge why Sonic Forces is just a popular move with fans. It's a logical continuation of the earlier success that Sega achieved with Sonic Generations. Nothing strange about this decision at all, it's the stability that the Sonic franchise needs.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:22 am

Yes, nothing says bringing back the old classic sonic like a furry editor that gives each race different habilities.

The only thing that made generations good was nostalgia and 2D platforming (that 3D sonic also shared a lot of it). Most of the 3D mechanics that are broken, stupid or plainly boring are in the front of the new game. The only thing you can say about this game is "I hope they have a decent camera controller at least".

Look at most guys that have played the e3 demo just say "it was cool, mania was great though".

At best is going to be another mediocre sonic, but with less appeal than generations (because nostalgia isn't there, and because we already have a sonic generations, and for nostalgia we'll have mania).
Maybe I'll eat crow and the game is actually good (GOOD-not mediocre), but I think it'll be really hard since 3D sonic just suck. The camera sucks, the homing attack is as fun as waiting to mash some fucking button, the on rail sections are stupid, the speed boost shit is boring, the level design is atrotious, tries to have too much speed that ammounts to nothing but frustration. There's very little to work with here, unless they try to do mostly 2D platforming, and really, it's not the 90s anymore, unless it has some amazing level design it'll not turn any eyes.

I know you will not care, or will pretend to like the mediocre game, so I'm just wasting time.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:59 am

TITS 3 aka Total Recall has yet again impaled its hooks into me, I have a feeling by the end this one wont be quite as memorable as the first 2 games, but I still just cant get enough of that world. I am still holding out on the Cold Steel games (and im glad since they are now releasing PC versions with even more voice acting) until after the Cross Bell games and playing them how they originally came out instead of skipping ahead and missing out on lore references.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:13 am

I'm a Sonic fan. I don't hide it I don't sing from the mountain tops either. I have some Sonic merch around my APT. A big framed poster a couple of figures and a couple of plush plus DVDs over the old 90s show and movie(but no T shirts anymore). I like the series. I don't own all of them tho because some just flat suck or I don't like them. I like Sonic R even tho it's trash. I won't play Sonic 06 ever again nor will I even try Boom or Unleashed. 16 bit era had some stinkers as well. Sonic 3D Blast. The Drift games on GG were awful. Sonic Blast and replaying Sonic 2 on GG realize those games are bad. Heroes is awful, Shadow 2006 won't go near that. The series has had some good spinoffs I did not mention. Still Sonic is hit and miss and TBH mostly a miss. I stay with it because when they hit sometimes they nail it in main or spinoff. Sonic Advance 1 is great. Sega Racing Tansformed best Kart racer ever IMO.

I explained on a previous page my views on Sonic Generations I like it but it has problems. Maybe I'm the rare Sonic fan who isn't totally blind. I'm a Sonic fan who dislikes the Sonic fan base as they are typically very blind and out of their freaking mind. From the cringe art on deviant art to pepper spraying Gamestop employees because Sonic's arms are blue in a game. Kintor is just what you usually see in a Sonic fanbase,blind as can be. I am not head over heals over Sonic..I just like the character. Some fan bases even of series I like I do not wish to interact with. They are just so far out there.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Amihama0468
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Mr. Frozen » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:53 am

Rakim wrote: Image

#thefeels

I don't think he was holding back tears because he was proud of what he was made (even though he probably was), bur rather because Miyamotowas praising him directly for creating such a great game. I am damn sure I would be holding back tears too if Miyamoto was praising a game I spent a significant time making.That is like Nikolai Tesla himself praising an electrical engineer, Isaac Newton praising a physicist, Mozart praising a composer, Michael Jordan praising a basketball player, and so on... I don't see how one cannot break down when the one of the greatest of all time people in your field is directly praising you.

Mr. Frozen has received a thanks from: Raithos
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:24 am

shredingskin wrote: Yes, nothing says bringing back the old classic sonic like a furry editor that gives each race different habilities.

The only thing that made generations good was nostalgia and 2D platforming (that 3D sonic also shared a lot of it). Most of the 3D mechanics that are broken, stupid or plainly boring are in the front of the new game. The only thing you can say about this game is "I hope they have a decent camera controller at least".

Sonic Generations worked because it used Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colours proven and popular 2.5D gameplay as its foundation. The great appeal was using this popular 2.5D gameplay as a chance to reimagine fan favourite levels from the entire history of the Sonic franchise, within the context of the 20th anniversary. Some levels like Seaside Hill, Crisis City and even arguable Sky Sanctuary Zone are better than the originals - all thanks to the 2.5D gameplay and the extra power available on modern hardware. Now six years later Sonic Forces will continue that success, because it further improves upon Sonic Generation's 2.5D gameplay with brand new level designs.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Raithos » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Mr. Frozen wrote:
Rakim wrote:
I don't think he was holding back tears because he was proud of what he was made (even though he probably was), bur rather because Miyamotowas praising him directly for creating such a great game. I am damn sure I would be holding back tears too if Miyamoto was praising a game I spent a significant time making.That is like Nikolai Tesla himself praising an electrical engineer, Isaac Newton praising a physicist, Mozart praising a composer, Michael Jordan praising a basketball player, and so on... I don't see how one cannot break down when the one of the greatest of all time people in your field is directly praising you.

Yeah that's what I thought when I saw it posted on Twitter. 100% who was praising him rather than his work being praised itself.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming