Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Raithos » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:13 am

Henry Spencer wrote: think I may just go all out for my birthday and get it for myself as a treat.

You should! That's my plan bro. I made up my mind last night lol. Let 2017 be the Year of the Dragoon!
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Persona 5 Persona 5 Persona 5 Persona 5 Persona 5 Persona 5

im excited for April, I like that its coming out around my birthday.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Kazuma Kaneko (former Shin Megami Tensei Artist/Creative Director) comes out of the shadows to do an illustration on Volume 1 of a book series in Japan (freelance work) drawing Feudal Warlord badass Nobunaga Oda.

http://personacentral.com/new-kazuma-ka ... phy-cover/

Raithos wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: think I may just go all out for my birthday and get it for myself as a treat.

You should! That's my plan bro. I made up my mind last night lol. Let 2017 be the Year of the Dragoon!

It'll be the best year of gaming for over a decade for me, I think.

EDIT:

I found out some more Kaneko art that he's been doing for a particular Novel series in Japan:

The guy is a literal god.

Henry Spencer has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, OL, Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Raithos » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:29 am

Finally! I was beginning to thing we wouldn't get this at all.

http://gematsu.com/2017/02/ys-viii-lacr ... -west-2017

Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ziming » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:37 am

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Axm » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:56 am

Gamestop has probably 5 years left to live coinciding with the discontinuation of XBone and PS4.
Physical game media probably has around 10 counting if Switch as a continuing platform refreshes itself every few years.

Cue the "you're wrong" comments followed by my "I told you so" 5 years later. Just like when I said PS3 would last 10 years, Digital game sales would take over, Blu-ray would slowly die out and PS4 would eventually do 4K.
Come at me bro.
Last edited by Axm on Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Himuro » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:04 am

Sweet Jesus, I haven't seen new Kaneko art in years. That man's art is my love. Fuck modern SMT art. omg.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:06 am

Axm wrote: Gamestop has probably 5 years left to live coinciding with the discontinuation of XBone and PS4.
Physical game media probably has around 10 counting if Switch as a continuing platform refreshes itself every few years.

Cue the "you're wrong" comments followed by my "I told you so" 5 years later. Just like when I said PS3 would last 10 years, Digital game sales would take over, Blu-ray would slowly die out and PS4 would eventually do 4K.
Come at me bro.

If you havent been in a GameStop in a while, they have totally changed their stores. Now they are more of a game merch operation and also sell games (probably their last ditch effort to try something new before the company goes under), they sell shirts and hats and plushies, and art books, and a bunch of items i have never seen them selling before, there star wars sections, pokemon sections, and what ever is the latest trending thing sections. I hope you are right though, and I doubt this change will save them (plus most of the items are over priced... $15 for a 6 inch Mr Meseeks plushy from RIck and Morty? smh...). Anyway, I hope you are right and close down in the next 5 years, if I could count all the great small trade in places that I liked and they purged and put out of business (many of them having retro and imports), they deserve to go down and stay down.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:02 am

Ya, when I went back home to the states this summer I walked into one and immediately noticed all the crap lying around everywhere. And they kept bothering the shit out of me every second to have me preorder something even though I told them I lived out of the country.

I only kinda feel sorry for them, in that I appreciate the concept of them but not the execution.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Sonikku » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Not gonna lie, the last time I was there I picked up something other than a game. (Mario and goomba figuarts for my desk) And the time before that I saw a beautiful Zelda puzzle that I picked up along with another one back when they were doing their buy one get one free deal on collectibles. I also bought a preowned smash bros controller adapter for the Wii U there when I could not find a new one anywhere else.

I find gamers club unlocked at Best Buy coupled with Power Rewards membership practically pays for the hobby as I get 20% off new games at Best Buy (which stacks with sales and 25 off 100 visa promotions). Then after I'm done playing them, I can turn into Gamestop when they're doing their 50% more trade in credit + Power Up 10% for in store credit. Then I put the store credit towards Ebay gift cards that I use to buy Best Buy gift cards off Ebay when they have a $50 card for $40 and so forth. Perhaps Gamestop will go under at some point for the reasons Axm stated, but I'll be sad to see them go.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Himuro » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:47 pm

GameStop is falling victim to the same forces that allowed them to swallow up and kill every game shop. I don't feel sorry for the company because fuck em. I feel sorry for the workers tied to that company and gymnastics they'll have to do in order to eat. But GameStop as a company, kind of deserves it.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Thief » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Sonikku wrote: I find gamers club unlocked at Best Buy coupled with Power Rewards membership practically pays for the hobby as I get 20% off new games at Best Buy (which stacks with sales and 25 off 100 visa promotions). Then after I'm done playing them, I can turn into Gamestop when they're doing their 50% more trade in credit + Power Up 10% for in store credit. Then I put the store credit towards Ebay gift cards that I use to buy Best Buy gift cards off Ebay when they have a $50 card for $40 and so forth.

Thief has received 6 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, myshtuff, Raithos, Rakim, redline, Sonikku
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:38 am

Finished panzer dragoon saga, pretty good, nothing too shocking, but entertaining, nice battle system, ok graphics, mixed feelings story.

But I found out that I just keep playing games with walkthroughs, it's almost a tick, the game was easy enough, but kept looking the walkthrough before I made any move to not "lose anything and make it faster".

Not the optimal way to enjoy games I think.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Raithos » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:49 pm

I've always felt like if you're going to play a game start to finish with a guide, you may as well just watch it on YouTube and not play it. Spoiler free guides or not, its just not the same as playing/figuring it out yourself. Especially if you know what happens ahead of time. To each his own though!

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:53 pm

Yes, I know it sucks, that's why I called it a tick. It started with adventures games when I'm stuck, look at the solution, then just keep looking at the walkthrough for everything.

Funny enough, I do watch some games on youtube when I know I don't want to spend the time playing them (or test them for a couple of hours to get a feeling about the gameplay).

But that Panzer dragoon shit really got my enjoyment down a lot (because there are some grinding enemies that give tons of XP for nothing) so I was OP the whole game, and even then I kept looking at the strategies for every fucking enemy (that are easy as fuck to get).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming