Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Sonikku » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:20 pm

Axm wrote: So... I'm kinda interested in the PSVR..eventually..like after I get a PS4 Pro because of the resolution upgrade output to the headset.
But I'm worried about ruining my already degrading eye's.
I know motion sickness wont be a problem for me. I've tried the unit several times at the Sony store.
I really enjoy using it. And the content is really starting to be compelling enough for the cost of entry tbh.
Just the eye's issue. Has anyone heard any reports of fucked up eye's?
Also I AM kinda worried ill get addicted to it somehow.

I too desperately want to try VR, but just don't have the funds. Personally I would want a Vibe with a 1080ti pushing it for the best experience possible but even Playstation VR would hold appeal if not for Sony's rather lackluster reputation for supporting peripherals. Perhaps someday. :)
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby OL » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:53 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: My top 5 games on PS1:

1. Xenogears
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Suikoden II
4. Grandia
5. Lunar Silver Star Story Complete

Mine are un-numbered, because greatness comes in too many individual forms. Also there are ten, because five is too limiting.

Bushido Blade
Parasite Eve
Ridge Racer Type 4
Final Fantasy VII
Mega Man Legends
Tenchu
Vagrant Story
Ghost in The Shell
Front Mission 3
Metal Gear Solid

(it also pains me to leave out Chrono Cross, Jumping Flash, Resident Evil 2, and a few others. But that's how lists go. Fuck you, lists)

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:15 pm

What if I told you I just didnt post 6-10 and 10-9834895687325879
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:29 pm

Nice lists. For me it's:

Vagrant Story
Metal Gear Solid
Parasite Eve
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Kagero: Deception 2
Galerians
Koudelka
Silent Bomber
Front Mission 3

Time Crisis, Vandal Hearts, Mega Man Legends, Bushido Blade, Tekken 3, Hellnight (Dark Messiah) and Xenogears are all sweet games too. Final Fantasy Tactics I never played until it was released on PSP since us dirty Euro peasants weren't blessed by its greatness until then. Same goes for Persona 2: Innocent Sin on PSP. I honestly loved the PSP for at least granting me the chance to experience some gems from the PSX and PS2 era that I wouldn't have otherwise like those aforementioned and Growlanser IV.

The PSP, what a fantastic system.

Whilst we're talking PlayStation consoles, here's my top 10 PSP games:

Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time (Secretly one of the best JRPGs ever made)
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (Secretly one of the best stories in gaming)
Metal Gear AC!D 2 (Secretly one of the best Metal Gear games. Also best Metal Gear on PSP)
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (Secretly the best Final Fantasy story ever now even better than the PSX version)
Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Secretly the best Persona story yet. Also one of the best game OSTs I've ever listened to, Eternal Punishment's also included, of course)
Gungnir (Secretly one of the toughest Tactical RPGs out there)
Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection (Secretly one of the most overlooked Tactical RPGs I've played with one of the most fun systems I've come across)
Black Rock Shooter (Secretly the best Action RPG on the system)
Metal Slug Anthology (Secretly one of the best game collections out there since it's Metal Slug, on your handheld)
Carnage Heart: EXA (Secretly one of the best mech games out there. The level of customisation on offer is mind blowing. You either play it like FFXII - complete with an even more intricate version of the Gambit system or fully controlled. Lot of programming/micromanagement madness.)
Knights in the Nightmare (Secretly the trippiest JRPG ever made. Also really good.)

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Axm » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:37 am

Sonikku wrote:
Axm wrote: So... I'm kinda interested in the PSVR..eventually..like after I get a PS4 Pro because of the resolution upgrade output to the headset.
But I'm worried about ruining my already degrading eye's.
I know motion sickness wont be a problem for me. I've tried the unit several times at the Sony store.
I really enjoy using it. And the content is really starting to be compelling enough for the cost of entry tbh.
Just the eye's issue. Has anyone heard any reports of fucked up eye's?
Also I AM kinda worried ill get addicted to it somehow.

I too desperately want to try VR, but just don't have the funds. Personally I would want a Vibe with a 1080ti pushing it for the best experience possible but even Playstation VR would hold appeal if not for Sony's rather lackluster reputation for supporting peripherals. Perhaps someday. :)

Its kinda funny cause the abandoned Move controllers have now made a come back with the VR and it looks like a pretty great way to play. And then the Playstation 4 camera which was also basically abandoned after launch also made a come back with VR.

Seems like they are kinda priming themselves with all these make shift accessories to come up with a gen 2 of all three in a more cohesive enhanced way.
I really don't think VR or motion will go away, just have ups and downs in the market, so it makes me apprehensive to jump in early with it but also know its not going away.

At the same time, im a sucker for new tech and I have the Christmas money just sitting here waiting to be spent irresponsibly.
I should probably just save it.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:19 am

Going short of creating a topic as this generation is probably not old enough to warrant that, but as I'm considering getting a PS4 for Yakuza 0, are there any overlooked or hidden gems I should look into? Including PSN-only releases, of course.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:24 am

Henry Spencer wrote: The PSP, what a fantastic system.

Whilst we're talking PlayStation consoles, here's my top 10 PSP games:

Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time (Secretly one of the best JRPGs ever made)
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (Secretly one of the best stories in gaming)
Metal Gear AC!D 2 (Secretly one of the best Metal Gear games. Also best Metal Gear on PSP)
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (Secretly the best Final Fantasy story ever now even better than the PSX version)
Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Secretly the best Persona story yet. Also one of the best game OSTs I've ever listened to, Eternal Punishment's also included, of course)
Gungnir (Secretly one of the toughest Tactical RPGs out there)
Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection (Secretly one of the most overlooked Tactical RPGs I've played with one of the most fun systems I've come across)
Black Rock Shooter (Secretly the best Action RPG on the system)
Metal Slug Anthology (Secretly one of the best game collections out there since it's Metal Slug, on your handheld)
Carnage Heart: EXA (Secretly one of the best mech games out there. The level of customisation on offer is mind blowing. You either play it like FFXII - complete with an even more intricate version of the Gambit system or fully controlled. Lot of programming/micromanagement madness.)
Knights in the Nightmare (Secretly the trippiest JRPG ever made. Also really good.)

Oooooweee, balls deep now. Can't resist.
My PSP favorites:

Black Rock Shooter - SO underappreciated. Great, original gameplay, amazing music (still the only instance of me importing a soundtrack before playing the game itself), and one of the best "end of the world" stories I've experienced. The fact that
literally everyone in the entire world aside from Stella herself dies before the end is pretty notable to me, and yet it still manages to end on a vague note of hope.
So good.
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - Adds a good deal to the established lore of FFVII without stepping on any toes. Great battle system, amazing graphics for the system, excellent soundtrack, and one of those emotional gut-punch endings. Really wish they'd remaster this one for PS4.
Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble - It's River City Ransom, but in 3D. And I do loves me some Japanese street punk fighting action whenever I can find it.
Ys: The Oath in Felghana - A remake of the third game in the Ys series, which probably had my favorite setting/story/soundtrack in the entire series. And now it's mixed with classic top-down Ys action. There's not a single thing here I could complain about.
Pursuit Force 1&2 - Some of the most visceral, fast-paced action sequences in gaming are right here, hidden on the PSP. Car-hopping at 200 miles per hour while firing off an automatic weapon; not a common sight, even in gaming, and yet they pulled off the mechanics to make it work almost perfectly on the first go, on a freakin' handheld. Unbelievable.
Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X - Simply put, one of the greatest videogame remakes ever made. It's essentially the original Mega Man X, but with 3D graphics, full dialogue, and anime cutscenes (including a full 25-minute prequel episode that sets up the game).
The 3rd Birthday - Yeah, there's a lot of hate out there for it, but it's all based on what people think it should have been, rather than what it actually is. Sure, it may not be the Parasite Eve successor that so many of us wanted (and trust me, I understand that disappointment), but the actual game mechanics and polish on this sucker are pretty high-level. Aside from the enemies being a little too resilient, it's a fantastic little sci-fi shooter with a lot of originality and, much like Crisis Core, a seriously impressive level of production value considering the tech it's on. Again, wish this would be remastered for PS4. It deserves it.
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - Like Henry said, it's the original game made even better. And the original game was amazing. So what's better than amazing? Uh... super duper? Super Duper good. Also them cel-shaded cutscenes are ridiculously gorgeous.
Star Ocean: First Departure - Another remake, sure, but it's a remake of one of the last great Super Famicom RPGs which never originally made its way to the west. One of those that I'm damn thankful to have, and had a blast grinding through it.
Undead Knights - Probably the least-likely game to appear on a "best of" list that I'll mention. I have a weird affection for it for some reason. Dynasty Warriors-style combat in a medieval fantasy setting, featuring characters that have been resurrected by the devil in order to avenge their fallen clan. And they do it by turning people into marauding zombies. Also they say things like "Burn, fuckers, burn!" while they pull off super moves and a thrash metal soundtrack plays. One of the earliest game to come out of the Koei/Tecmo merger, and it's a perfect mix of both companies; it's the aesthetic of the Deception series mixed with Dynasty Warriors. Really unique, unfortunately forgotten.

Honorable mentions (not on the actual list mainly because I still haven't finished them): Persona 2, Valkyrie Profile, Tactics Ogre, Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, Daxter, some others.
Still a lot I haven't played on the system, and Henry's list mentions a few I want to tackle. Already have Carnage Heart EXA, just have to play it.

Vyse Hazuky wrote:Going short of creating a topic as this generation is probably not old enough to warrant that, but as I'm considering getting a PS4 for Yakuza 0, are there any overlooked or hidden gems I should look into? Including PSN-only releases, of course.

I just bought Wild Guns Reloaded, and it's literally like they made a new SNES game and just put it on a disc instead of a cartridge. Beautiful release.
Nobunaga's Ambition is on the PS4 as well, if you like that kind of strategy stuff. Haven't delved deep yet, but they seem pretty polished and enjoyable from what little I have played.
I just finished Styx: Master of Shadows, which is download-only. Awesome title if you like pure Tenchu-esque stealth games. Was really surprised by it (and a sequel is out in a couple months).
Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess. A bit wackier/not as dark as earlier entries, but still a fun bit of trapping action.
Earth Defense Force 4.1. An enhanced remake, but it adds playable giant robots vs. kaiju. The only thing the series was missing before.
Assault Suit Leynos. Excellent remake of the Genesis/Megadrive original.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:57 am

^ I just checked out Earth Defense Force on Youtube, holy shit. I'm kinda tempted to try it out. From what I saw I guess it's best enjoyed in coop mode?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:11 pm

I'm usually of the opinion that everything is better if you can play it with a friend. And I enjoyed the original version of this one on PS3 playing solo, so yeah, co-op would probably be the tits. Early levels are a little too easy (co-op is more fun if it's challenging), but it really ramps up later on.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:28 am

I've had a walking simulator marathon.

Fragments of him, the butterfly sign, behind the memory, Elena, Asemblance.

Still playing everybody's gone to the rapture.

Special shout for the Lion's song, first two episodes were very good.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Monkei » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:29 pm

One final level and boss and challenge and I'm done with A Boy and His Blob. That final blob form, unlocked after the citadel world, actually made good for the major frustrations the little asshole caused me by facing his cannon form in the wrong direction 80% of the time. And by being too retarded to reach his jellybeans in time. I love the beautiful art-style and still think the game is kinnnd of a gem, but definitely a flawed one. Lacks polish.

Monkei has received a thanks from: OL
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:05 pm

^^That final blob form is definitely a winner. Knew nothing about the game before I played it, so that was a total surprise. Gave me a good laugh, in a "hell yeah" kind of way.

So anyway, I keep looking at stuff for this game Horizon: Zero Dawn, and in so many ways it looks like something tailor-friggin-made just for me. There's so much that should appeal to me, and I want so much to dig it.
But goddammit... I think I said it before elsewhere, and I know it's just my own stupid holdup... but friggin hell, why is the main character so fucking white? I'm not normally the kind of get bothered by racial stuff, but seriously, the game itself takes so much influence from Native American cultures for its art design and concept, yet for some reason they made the main character the whitest girl possible. Literally, the whitest they could get her without making her albino. She may as well be a ginger.
I don't normally care about this stuff, but come on, Native Americans have literally been some of the most screwed-over, downtrodden people in all of history, to the point that they barely even exist outside of reservations these days. And here you have a perfect opportunity to represent them to some small extent in a videogame (granted, a sci-fi/fantasy game)... and instead, the main character is as white as can possibly be.
I fully acknowledge that it's just my own dumb holdup, and it doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the game itself, but man, what an annoying thing to be feeling. My own biases working against me.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:23 pm

Gravity Rush 2 reviews are coming in and Holy Shit! O_O

I am hearing shit like it improves and adds in every aspects, gravity control is more, skills, obviously better graphics and visuals, even down to the story which apparently covers prequel, answers questions from the previous game and sequel material. WOW, looks like its going to be a good one guys. Good shit.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:29 pm

Raithos has received a thanks from: Jibby
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Mr357 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Raithos wrote: Image

What game is that? Reminds me of Wario Ware.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming