Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Axm » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:35 pm

Sounds brilliant. I'll be picking it up on thursday. Just finished up the decisions from prior games on the Keep website and watched all the cut scenes in a compilation for the first game on Youtube. So pumped for it.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:12 pm

Dark Souls 2 being released on PS4 and Xbox One, with all of the DLC packs packaged in.
So that's pretty awesome. I'll certainly pick up a release like that when I get a PS4. Also a bunch of tweaks to the existing main game, as well as additional NPCs which apparently add to the story. Hey, more characters in a Souls game; I'm all for that.

http://bandainamcous.tumblr.com/post/10 ... k-souls-ii

phpBB [video]

The basic tweaks are apparently also being patched into the PS3/360 version as well. But I'd still opt for the more "enhanced" next gen version.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Oppy, Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:26 pm

Good thing I waited. Havent played it yet. With Bloodborne and this its a pretty good situation on PS4.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:05 pm

So, Assassin's Creed....am I the only one who dislikes it?
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Nope. I can't stand Assassin's Creed either. Don't think Kenny liked it either. I may try out Assassin's Creed 2 one day, but don't feel the urge to since the first game was one of the most tedious, boring, monotonous games I've ever played.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:18 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/ ... W320141125

Is this true? If so, its a HUGE blow to the Vita. It doesnt seem right, the article claims that 3G owners cant play online multiplayer matches over 3G. The whole mis-understanding of the cross-platform games I can understand as not all games support it, but the online multiplayer matches over 3G just doesnt seem right. Any way, Sony is offereing $25 refunds and $50 towards other games to make up for it... Also in the article it seems sony has been caught asking that firm to talk up the Vita but not mention their partnership, so they have been caught paying off people for good reviews... smh, damn sony, you are making me think twice about you now.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:41 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Nope. I can't stand Assassin's Creed either. Don't think Kenny liked it either. I may try out Assassin's Creed 2 one day, but don't feel the urge to since the first game was one of the most tedious, boring, monotonous games I've ever played.

If the main basis for your stance on it is the first game, then I really suggest you try the second game. I was of generally the same mind a few years ago; I didn't hate it, but I thought the first game was a bit of a bore, so I didn't try the others. But then after seeing that they had made so many already (they were about 4 games in at this point), I figured I may as well give it a second try.
And trust me, AC2 is absolutely one of the single most-improved sequels ever made. They really took everything that was unattractive about the first game and tweaked or improved upon it until it was all just right. While the first game was slowly-paced, had awkward controls, a bland-as-fuck color palette, tedious mission structure, incredibly choppy graphics, and mostly uninteresting characters, Assassin's Creed II is fast-paced, has much smoother controls, waaaaaay more attractive and colorful graphics and art design, characters with much, much more personality, and and a much more traditional open-world mission structure. Seriously, they took all the criticism to heart and made something great using all that feedback.
I get the feeling you'd still hate the non-history, sci-fi-ish stuff in the story (it's limited, but it's there), but I think you'll be impressed by how much they improved over the first game. And even though everyone complains about it being milked and all by this point, the series has continued to refine things as it's gone on.

You don't have to love it by any means, of course, but I'd still urge you to give the series a second try. The way it is now, it's absolutely no more boring or tedious as any other open-world series out there. They've made strides, and that's part of what won me over.
Actually, as much as I'm into the overall story now, playing the rest of the series has even made me like the first one more than I did before. That's how much better the rest of the series is, that it's improved how I think of it's weaker first chapter.

OL has received a thanks from: Jokatech19
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:12 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/25/us-sonycomputerentertainment-ftc-settle-idUSKCN0J91W320141125

Is this true? If so, its a HUGE blow to the Vita. It doesnt seem right, the article claims that 3G owners cant play online multiplayer matches over 3G. The whole mis-understanding of the cross-platform games I can understand as not all games support it, but the online multiplayer matches over 3G just doesnt seem right. Any way, Sony is offereing $25 refunds and $50 towards other games to make up for it... Also in the article it seems sony has been caught asking that firm to talk up the Vita but not mention their partnership, so they have been caught paying off people for good reviews... smh, damn sony, you are making me think twice about you now.

I dont know how you connected gurellia PR marketing over twitter to paying off reviewers cause that was never said.
Also I find it kinda dumb their was this suit in the first place. Ya playing multiplayer over 3G was slow to impossible but over wifi its fine..no matter what unit you got. Also remote play is a feature that works great..so its kinda an excuse to grab money from sony at this point.
But hey I'll actually get some money out of this because I bought it early, so yay...
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:14 pm

I meant reviews in a more general sense of good press/tweets or whatever it said in the article. Still it most definitely doesnt make sony look good. Finding out they told them to be all hush hush about it always makes it worse once the cats out of the bag.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:20 am

hush hush about what though? Cause what Sony did is make abunch of claims that you could continue ANY game on the go while it turned out to be just SOME..and now they are getting sued over it. Nobody even made a big deal about that at launch but someone out there in good ol USA found the oportunity to sue so they did.. its kinda so whatever and nonsense im suprised people are getting free money over it.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Nope. I can't stand Assassin's Creed either. Don't think Kenny liked it either. I may try out Assassin's Creed 2 one day, but don't feel the urge to since the first game was one of the most tedious, boring, monotonous games I've ever played.

AC2 is different in the sense that it doesn't feel monotonous. There are varied tasks for the main missions.

But I did give it up after playing a bit of Brotherhood. I just wasn't invested enough in the story to continue playing what seemed like the same game over and over.

But apparently AC4 is where it's at in terms of gameplay. It's the definitive AC from what i've been told.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Oppy
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:16 pm

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it definitive, but AC4 is certainly excellent, and it really was the right mix-up in formula to give the series some extra life. Calling it "definitive" would imply that it's the best example of the series performing its overall concept right, but really it just offered something really new (the abundance of port-to-port sailing stuff), and doing new things isn't exactly what the series is known for, so it made a splash. As far as actual "Assassin" stuff, the on-foot parts and all, I think other games do it better.

I do have to say though, even if you're not into the whole "Assassins vs. Templars" bag, AC4 is still really worth it to play. Not a stretch at all for me to call it the best pirate game ever. The "lore" stuff comes up a lot, but the protagonist never invests fully in it all; he's more concerned with greed and fame for the majority of it, so the pirate theme definitely takes precedence.
That's probably the one game in the series I'd say don't even worry about whether you've played the previous games; if the theme interests you, it's great on its own.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Oppy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:13 am

Oppy has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Kenny, Raithos
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:57 pm

Axm wrote: hush hush about what though? Cause what Sony did is make abunch of claims that you could continue ANY game on the go while it turned out to be just SOME..and now they are getting sued over it. Nobody even made a big deal about that at launch but someone out there in good ol USA found the oportunity to sue so they did.. its kinda so whatever and nonsense im suprised people are getting free money over it.

The FTC also settled with Deutsch LA, which had urged its staffers to praise the device on Twitter without also instructing them to disclose their relationship to Sony.

That clear things up some? Thats the hush hush part. So unfortunately Sony is all up in the bad press surrounding this. I dont like it any more than you, but im certainly not going to down play it and deny the facts here: Sony had a business relationship with a firm that talked up the vita intentionally to make sony/vita look good. Not okay, when you read a product review or opinion you want their honest truthful opinion with no omissions right?

The Vita is in such a bad spot with its success in major limbo, wish it werent so but its got major problems.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:26 pm

Ya bro its quite comon these days. Its gorrila marketing and it wouldnt be the first time Sony had used a 3rd party to run PR campaign, they did it for the PS3 launch too. Many companies in the US do this kinda of PR like soft drink and tabacco corporations.

Its kinda expected from me these days that companies do this, others see it as still suprising. Look at any political campaign aswell, all the Super PAC's are just like gorilla marketing except they also funnel unnamed laundered money to a politician. Thats way worse then some guys on Twitter saying playstation is cool.

and imo I dont see the Vita having major problems. It has a great library already and is continuing to be fueled by third parties and indies. So I dont really mind the lack of continued first party support. I rather they focus on PS4.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming