The Last Guardian

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: The Last Guardian

Postby Peter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:02 pm

Ironically the newspaper in the UK, The Guardian, has an article today stating that TLG will actually be revealed at E3.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Axm » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:01 pm

If its not shown this year its dead 100%. We are in the 2nd year of the PS4. If they cant even show a 10 second trailer its going to be canceled and the studio shut down.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:49 am

Thinking about getting Shadow of the Colossus as I've never actually sat down and played it. I might run into town layer and see if there's a copy of the ICO/SOTC HD pack for the PS3.

But I still have a good weeks worth of typing for my Shenmue 2 project, E3 is next week and then Batman will be on my doorstep in a couple of weeks. Seriously you need to be a games journalist full time, to really play a lot of games. Then again, having 2 jobs doesn't help.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:16 pm

YES!! YES!!! OH MY GOD! I almost had a heart attack!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:03 pm

phpBB [video]

It's pretty, and it's exactly what I figured it would be, but I really have to say...
What the fuck took so long?
Seriously, that's what they have, after eight years of development?
It looks exactly like the little clips we'd already seen from the previous trailers. Here I was thinking they were trying to implement some mind-blowingly groundbreaking stuff, smooth it out to an absolute extreme, and that's why it kept being delayed... but by this point in time, it just looks like a totally last-gen mix or Ico and SotC. Even all the little choppy quirks of the animations from SotC are in there. Nothing groundbreaking, nothing particularly "new."

Now, having said that, I'm still totally excited to finally get to play it. I'm one of those that absolutely sees Ico and Shadow of the Colossus as legitimate works of art, and I love them to death. Give me more gaming in that style, and I will be in Heaven.

But after all these years, I'm just confused as to why it took so damn long. It'll have been in development for nine years by the time it comes out, and it really doesn't look the part. It looks the same as what we were shown all those years ago.
And I bet you anything, it'll probably be about six hours long when we finally get it.
I really do want to play the game like mad, but the whole situation just feels silly.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:49 am

It took so long because they needed to wait for the PS4 to come out and make it a system seller.
Besides that, it looks great and im sure they will pretty it up more as its probably got another year or so before launch I bet.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Haha glad I wasn't the only person to think that.

From what I gather it's been developed for so long due to a myriad of reasons: the infamous difficulties with programming for the PS3, Ueda leaving Studio Japan, re-engineering for the PS4 and just general mismanagement of the studio.

When they hired a new studio head he mentioned they had nearly forty games in numerous stages of production.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:31 pm

I hope Gravity Rush 2 doesn't take this long...

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:04 pm

The Last Guardian, announced in 2009 for PS3 and shown again to shocked PlayStation fans at E3 yesterday, became a PS4 game in 2012. So explained Sony’s head of game development, Shuhei Yoshida, as we finally chatted about what has been happening with Sony’s game about a boy and his giant animal friend.

The game made its debut at E3 in 2009, stunning gamers eager for the next creation from Fumito Ueda and his team responsible for the quiet, lovely PS2 adventures Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. But it’s been missing in action for years, turning into Sony’s very own Half-Life 3.

Yoshida said that when the game was announced in 2009 for PS3, they thought they were making good progress.

“But in 2011 the progress became super slow. There were lots of technical issues. The game was not performing at speed. The video we showed, the trailer on PS3, was specced up. The game was running at a much lower frame rate. Some features were still missing.

“So it was clear that the team had to make a compromise in terms of features and number of characters so while they were taking time, the engineering team ported the code on the SPU [processors of the PS3] to improve the performance, but it was taking lots of time.

“But, in the meantime PS4 arrived, the development environment was available. So in 2012 it became apparent we should move it to PS4 to achieve the visual [ideal.]”

Yoshida said that the rumor that veteran game designer and programmer Mark Cerny had been brought in to save the project were incorrect. “Mark has been consulting many of the first-party teams and projects, giving advice on the tech side—not just him but other central tech groups we have from the U.S. and U.K. have been helping the team as well.”

Ueda, who technically left Sony in 2011, is still very much involved in the game. Yoshida said he is in charge of art direction, animation direction, game design direction, among other things.

Why finally show the game?

“The game is totally playable,” he said proudly, noting that Sony simply didn’t play it live during their E3 presentation because the artificial intelligence behind the big animal can’t be expected to behave in the most stage-demo-friendly way all the time. “We have a certain level of confidence about the launch window, which is why we showed it.”

The Last Guardian will be out next year on PS4.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:43 am

Honestly sounds like the team went to work on other projects to me and it was put on hold effectively until their schedule became open again. Possibly might be the reason why Ueda got pissed and resigned. The producer quitting who also worked on Ueda's previous games sort of tells a tale in itself. Guess we will never know.

I just can not believe that any game is in development constantly for almost 10 years, I am sorry Sony but no, just no.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:55 am

I guess we are all just jaded by the presentation of the game. We've seen it so many times before, and now it still looks and feels the same game as it was shown way back then.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mue 26 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:46 am

This game looked proper lovely.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:20 pm

sand4fish wrote: I guess we are all just jaded by the presentation of the game. We've seen it so many times before, and now it still looks and feels the same game as it was shown way back then.

Don't get me wrong I am glad we are getting it finally but it is a mystery why it has taken as long as it did. Ueda has not put a game out since PS2. So weird.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:29 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
sand4fish wrote: I guess we are all just jaded by the presentation of the game. We've seen it so many times before, and now it still looks and feels the same game as it was shown way back then.

Don't get me wrong I am glad we are getting it finally but it is a mystery why it has taken as long as it did. Ueda has not put a game out since PS2. So weird.

Apparently the framerates were so bad in the PS3 version of the game that it was basically unplayable. And then it was made from scratch again on PS4 with diminished staff numbers.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:57 pm

^^That still doesn't explain a damn near decade-long dev cycle.
After Shenmue for Saturn was scrapped in favor of the DC version, it took, what... maybe two or three years to completely rebuild it all?
And there was a far greater difference in visual style between those, compared to the way the PS3 Last Guardian looks next to the PS4 one (near-identical). And that's if they really rebuilt is from scratch at all; I find that hard to believe.
It all stinks a bit of background squabbling and politics.

Not that any of it matters, so long as we just get the damn game finally. But the wait has been absolutely ridiculous anyway.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming