The Last Guardian

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: The Last Guardian

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Just finished this tonight. What a fantastic game and a great experience. What an interesting and extraordinary way to use the medium of video games for storytelling. I'd never played anything like it before. I haven't played Ico or Shadow of the Colossus. This was my first Fumito Ueda game.

I think what really amazed me about this game is that it is about Trico. Not the nameless boy you play as, but Trico. Trico is the main character while the player is playing the role of the narrator, a grown man who reminisces about his adventure with Trico when he was a child.

I found it fascinating that the boy and this savage animal formed such a strong friendship and became like brothers, depending on each other to make their escape together. On one hand, Trico was that fierce and majestic beast, huge in size but on the other hand, sometimes he was just as vulnerable and helpless as the boy in a lot of situations, so he depended on the boy's help a lot of times just as the boy depended completely on Trico. This created a very interesting dynamic for the game.

And then there's countless epic scenes where Trico and the boy escape death by inches or split seconds. Especially those slow motion scenes when Trico rescues the boy by grabbing him with his mouth or his tail. How cool is that?

The only things which prevent The Last Guardian from being an absolute masterpiece are the camera and control issues, especially when climbing on Trico. Yeah, the boy and other humans look a bit dated as do the environments but Trico looks just phenomenal. These things probably go to show that this was initially meant to be a PS3 game and had a bumpy road in development hell to traverse before finally coming out.

Still, this was such a great experience and one of the defining games for the PS4 as a system along the likes of Persona 5, Yakuza 0 and so on. Thank you Sony, for developing this and actually not pulling the plug on it.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Jesse
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Previous

Return to General Gaming