The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U/NX)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U/NX)

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:32 pm

phpBB [video]

Game looks beautiful.

Henry Spencer has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, OL, Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: Zelda Wii U Announced

Postby OL » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:46 pm

Yeah, that's gorgeous. I really like the design style of Link.
I'm curious to find out what the sort of "motif" is for this one, if there is one (like how Wind Waker had Link as a sailor, TP had sort of a "cowboy" Link, and Skyward Sword was about flying).
Hopefully it's not too obsessed with Nintendo's tech this time around. That's still the reason I haven't played Skyward Sword, since it's all motion control.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:55 pm

Wow, that's better than I could of imagined it would look. I really hope it puts the game pad to good use. Wind Waker HD proved the pad makes several tasks easier and more fluent, Wind Waker has never been better than it is on Wii U. So if they build things around it, instead of reworking old things like in WWHD, the possibilities are endless. I can't wait to see more of it in the future.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby CodingGenesis » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:56 pm

Am I the only one to whom Link looks like a girl/woman? I'm sorry, but a cel-shading style Zelda doesn't do it for me.

CodingGenesis has received a thanks from: Thief
CodingGenesis
Rockman X
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: CodingGenesis
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby Sonikku » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:29 pm

It's very beautiful and elegant so far. I love the cel shaded look.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Giorgio » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:35 pm

Waiting to see the gameplay and the real open-world feeling.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby OL » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Oh shit, sci-fi Zelda?!
This looks even better now.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm very excited for this and I gotta say, although I originally thought Hyrule Warriors was going to be a steaming pile of crap, I'm actually looking forward to playing it (although it may have something to do with the return of Midna... I don't want to be a fanboy but sometimes I can't help myself).

Fuck! How did Nintendo manage to sell me on the Wii U? I didn't even really get to see much. Hype is real I suppose.

I too thought that Link was a girl when I saw the trailer for the Zelda Wii U. They were talking about breaking conventions and I thought--- ooooooooh Link is hawt! Link is.... a boy. :oops:
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:17 pm

Hopefully they will finally break out from the OoT format and do something more with zelda and make a more current game. This seems like a good start, it obviously looks very early in development and it doesnt look as smooth as im sure the final product will. Im kind of on the fence about the graphics style, I dont mind the cel shading the way its done in that trailer, but everyone wants a realistic zelda and I would have prefered that. The game looks beautiful and if the cel shading is done the right way it will be manageable, and they are headed in the right direction with it. I guess our hopes of getting a dark and gritty zelda can be laid to rest now. I kind of prefer the way this looks, the bright colors and green pastures and blue sky with mountains in the back groud just looks like great fun to explore, and if there are some interesting enemies to wail on on the way, we should be in for good times.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:35 pm

I don't think the series should ever break away from its classic formula, nor do I think it should ever go "gritty." There are certain elements that make Zelda what it is, and if you take away two of them (the formula and the colorful style), it'd cease to be Zelda.
May as well just make a new IP in that case.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:52 pm

If people want dark and gritty fantasy settings...go and play From Software's Souls series or BioWare's Dragon Age series or something. They're not going anywhere, or anything. And I say this as a big fan of dark fantasy, but if anything, there's almost too many dark fantasy video games nowadays anyway, so Zelda going the route that it is, with its bright, colourful and visually stunning appearance, is refreshing to me whereas everything else I saw this E3 in the fantasy game settings is dark and gritty, which is beginning to get a bit old now.

Variety is the spice of life, as they say.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Rakim » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:10 pm

I don't even like Legend of Zelda and I wanna play this shit.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby sylentknyte » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:48 pm

This is a step in the right direction. Zelda used to be the premier open world experience, but it has been overtaken by games like GTA, TES, and RDR. They need to go back to a true open world experience. Hell, I'd even like non-linear dungeons. I love the art-style. Cell shading and anime influence really works for the series. I hope this game goes a little dark. Not "blood, guts, and curse words" dark, but more "serious and intense situations" dark. Batman The Animated Series is the best example of that. Wind Waker and Ocarina went there a few times. I never expect them to go back to anything nearly as messed up as Majora's Mask again. Zelda is at it's best when it has the feeling of those older fantasy movies like The Never Ending Story, or anime like Spirited Away. On the surface it's fun and whimsical, but at times shit gets real. Wind Waker struck that balance the best imo. Although it's my favorite, Majora's went a little too dark. It was way too scary for me as a seven year old. I couldn't complete it until I was 10.
sylentknyte
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:55 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Hopefully they will finally break out from the OoT format and do something more with zelda and make a more current game.

I don't really understand this.

What exactly can they do to make it "different" from all the other Zelda games, gameplay wise?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:43 am

Cars. And a rhythm minigame.