Final Fantasy Series News and Updates Thread

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Final Fantasy Series News and Updates Thread

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Decided we didnt have glorified thread for FF, I didnt wanna make a general "Final Fantasy Series" thread cause that is honestly just way too broad with this series, so I decided there should be a thread that strictly focuses on news, new games, items, and updates about the FF series, all current stuff.

So to start it off I found out they are releasing some sexy guides for the steam versions of the recently released Final Fantasy VII VIII and IX. Yep, you heard right, check out these hard cover babies.

Features via newegg details

- The Final Fantasy Box Set is a must have for fans of this beloved series.

- The set includes hardcover versions of Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy IX, each comes with a ribbon bookmark and deluxe cover treatment.

- Each guide has been redesigned from scratch and updated with new high resolution screen shots. In addition, the set comes with three iconic game images printed for first time as holographic lithographs.

- The three holographic prints are secured in a beautiful slipcase with magnetic closure

Pre-orders below

http://www.gamestop.com/strategy-guides ... fix/116349

http://www.amazon.com/FINAL-FANTASY-FFV ... 4ZYH47HKXK

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Newegg link isnt complete yet, but you can be notified when its available and how much it will cost, but they are carrying it! Also take note that the amazon pre-order is 36% off the original $129.99 MSRP! bring it to $83 (one of my magic numbers) so preorder before they decide to change the price!
I know I have been giving amazon alot of over due flack here lately and I would go else where if that price wasnt so darn awesome, if the newegg price is decent i'll probably switch my pre-order over to them

Wow! all 3 guides for 3 of the best entries in the series and all part of the FF golden era classics! I know for me personally, I have the original guide for only FF8 but never got around to purchasing guides for FF7 and FF9, and I would love to own a hard back guide for these games! I think the only thing that could have made this better was if they threw in a guide to FF6. But then again, they may be planning a 4-6, and 1-3 box set as well, so who knows.

Any and all FF news and updates are welcome, so lets see em!

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Raithos
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Re: Final Fantasy Series News and Updates Thread

Postby Raithos » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Wow, at $30 a guide that's too good to pass up. Just got snagged it on Amazon for that cheap price. Plus with it being 3 guides there's no way they can ship it to you not in a box. Thanks for posting this!
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:59 pm

Yeah man, im curious to see what those lithographs are going to be like as well. $130 for this set is a bit steep though, not sure its worth that much, it caught my eye at random while I was on the phone with amazon customer service earlier, so I did some searching and found those other links too.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:20 pm

Final Fantasy Type-0 director Hajime Tabata (who is also working on Final Fantasy XV as co-director alongside Nomura) answers the burning questions people have about FF Type-0 HD.

1) When is Type-0 HD coming out?

Within the next year, Tabata says. We won't be waiting longer than 365 days. Tabata and Square won't commit to a concrete release date yet, but by August of 2015, we should be playing this game.

"We probably wouldn't age another year until it's released," Tabata said. "We really do want the PS4 and Xbox One install base to grow in Japan as well, so we do want a release as quickly as possible."

Though Square's seemingly-hasty announcement at E3 this year made it seem as if the company had only recently started working on the HD port of Type-0, Tabata told me they've been developing this game since mid-2012, when the company shifted development of Final Fantasy XV to PS4 and Xbox One and started getting a feel for those new consoles (which at that point had not yet been announced).

"I started to be involved around July 2012ish," he said. "And at that time, I started to gain a better understanding of the PS4/Xbox One console, and really liked the environment of the platform itself, and I believed it would be a good fit for Type-0 as well."

2) Why Xbox One and PS4? Why not Xbox 360 and PS3?

Because Square Enix is concerned about Final Fantasy XV. They want to make sure Final Fantasy fans own current-gen consoles, and Type-0 is their way of helping get people to segue into the modern generation.

This was something I had assumed when the HD remake was first announced, and Tabata confirmed it this afternoon. "Is it fair to say that this Type-0 HD remake is meant to get more people to buy PS4s and Xbox Ones for Final Fantasy XV?" I asked.

"There is a part where we believe it's kind of like the first step," Tabata said. "When we released Type-0 on the PSP in Japan, we were able to garner a new audience, a younger user-base. There's a lot of fans who say that Type-0 was their first Final Fantasy, so we're hoping that'll be the same for the overseas market as well, in kind of garnering and capturing that new age group when a lot of our Final Fantasy fans are becoming older, more mature.

"We do hope that it becomes the first basis for Final Fantasy XV when we release that globally."

Plus, Tabata added, he has no experience developing games for Xbox 360 or PS3, so those were never really considered.

3) Is Type-0 ever coming to portable systems?

Don't count on it. Though Sony flubbed the Type-0 HD announcement, at first declaring that it would be released on Vita before realizing they'd screwed up, Tabata says that was never part of the plan.

"We did consider whether a Vita version would make sense for the title or not," Tabata said. "And then afterwards—this is actually something I realized after creating the PSP version—in order to really bring out the best in this title, I felt that a bigger screen would be more appropriate in terms of the depth that it provides and the distance you have to the enemies, to the characters. It just made more sense to take it to the big screen.

"In terms of controls, also, it made more sense to have these sort of intuitive controls that are available for the console. In addition to that, I am aging as well, and my eyesight is getting worse, so it was easier, naturally easier to develop something for the bigger screen versus the smaller screen."

Tabata says they have no plans to release an English PSP version digitally, either. "That is not being considered," he said when I asked. "First and foremost, we want to get the packaged version to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One."1

4) Is it true that Square Enix was planning on localizing the PSP version but changed their minds because of business realities?

Yes. Last month, I reported that Square had done the bulk of localization work on Type-0 way earlier, back in 2011, but the PSP's sinking popularity outside of Japan led Square Enix to scrap plans to release Type-0 in the United States and Europe.

Tabata confirmed this today, saying they put a hold on the PSP release outside of Japan when they realized the PSP marketplace wasn't all that viable anymore.

"The biggest reason really was the timing," he said. "After we released the Japanese version, and then it would go into localization, the US PSP market at the time was kinda shrinking. It wasn't the best time for us to garner the best results, so that was the biggest reason we had to forgo the PSP version for the overseas market."

5) Will Type-0 HD's development delay Final Fantasy XV at all?

Tabata, who is both directing Type-0 and co-directing Final Fantasy XV, says no. XV, which was first announced as Final Fantasy Versus XIII almost a decade ago, is their top priority.

"So I had personally, I do want to really kinda push the install-base for PS4 and Xbox One in Japan as well," Tabata said. "I believe that FFXV would play a big factor in that, so I'm prioritizing my time for the development of that, to make sure it releases as soon as possible. Currently for the other titles I'm directing, including Type-0, since we're not building the game ground up, the contents already exist. We're at the point where we're just fine-tuning and balancing the game. My personal time spent on the tuning and balance and whatnot is about 10-20% of my time.

"We have an amazing development team working on this project that I trust, and there are segments that I kinda leave it up to them to make the final calls on."

6) How do Type-0 and Final Fantasy XV differ?

When you see Final Fantasy Type-o in action on a big screen, it's hard not to think of Square's big E3 2013 presentation of Final Fantasy XV. There's blinking, jumping, and all sorts of high-octane action that makes it all feel more Kingdom Hearts, less traditional Final Fantasy.

So I asked Tabata to describe some of the differences between the two games. Though he said he couldn't talk much about the combat in XV, he did offer this:

"As an over-arching theme, Type-0 is a war-themed game, so it's kind of like a war movie in a sense. Whereas XV is a road trip kind of movie and adventure that focuses on brotherhood. The overarching theme is kind of different in terms of scenario."

7) Are they adding any new content that wasn't in the PSP version?

Nope. No new story or challenge modes or anything like that. The three main differences are A) high-definition graphics; B) new controls for traditional controllers; and C) difficulty modes, because a lot of Japanese fans told Square Enix that Type-0 was just too hard.

"In the PSP version, the conclusion, the ending, was actually very well received," Tabata said. "But since it's an action battle, and the difficulty's a little higher, not everyone was able to reach that ending... We wanted everyone to really experience, to make it to the end to see the conclusion for themselves.

"At dinner last night, [translator Amy] told me that she wasn't able to reach the end because action battles were a bit too difficult, so I'd like to apologize for that."

(And Amy, as a Square Enix PR representative added, is very good at video games.)

So the HD remake of Type-0 will have four different difficulty modes, designed to give people options when it comes to how tough they want it to be.

8) Does the game look good?

I think so. Don't expect a traditional Final Fantasy here, and don't expect something that pushes the boundaries of what the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One can do—this is a remake of a PSP game, after all—but the few minutes I saw of Type-0 made me want to play more.

This will be the first single-player Final Fantasy game on current-gen consoles. It's hard not to look forward to that.

http://kotaku.com/eight-big-final-fanta ... 1628600728

Sounding really good to me.

Henry Spencer has received 4 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, Axm, Raithos, Yama
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:08 pm

been wanting type-0 for a LONNGGGG time.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:26 pm

Sakaguchi on FFXV:

Schreier: What do you think of the current state of Final Fantasy?

Sakaguchi: (laughter) 15 is taking too long.

Schreier: That's what everybody thinks.

Sakaguchi: [In English] Congratulations, ten years! (laughter)

#-o

http://kotaku.com/things-are-much-diffe ... 1629514442

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:29 pm

I fucking hate kotaku...
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:23 pm

FF Type-0 HD is out on March 17 2015 (sooner than I thought) and includes...wait for it...a playable demo for Final Fantasy XV!!!

Gamers have been waiting to play Final Fantasy XV for a long time, but a chance to sample the gameplay is coming soon. A downloadable demo for the next numbered Final Fantasy will be available in 2015, and lets players see some opening sections of the game in action.

Square Enix is calling the demo Episode Duscae, and though it focuses on the early parts of the game, some elements of the progression have been altered in order to make it more suitable for a demo experience.

Some players will be able to get Episode Duscae for free thanks to a voucher included with Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, which releases on March 17 in North America. A representative from Square Enix could not confirm that the demo will be available the exact same day as Type-0 HD, but it will be coming to both PS4 and Xbox One when it does release.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/09/17/t ... es-in-2015

Square Japan on the path for redemption now?

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:54 pm

Fuck yes!!! Bring on more good news from TGS! Also a PS4 price drop would be cool... We will have to wait and see what Square ultimately does to redeem themselves, im far from convinced still, but its a step in the right direction.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:37 pm

Nice to see Europe are getting it on the 20th March so not a long wait.

Nomura is no longer the director of FFXV. He's been replaced by Tabata who's worked on Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core and Final Fantasy Type 0.

The new trailer for FFXV looks amazing.

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:29 pm

Gorgeous. My hype for it just jumped.
I also don't mind that Nomura's not the director anymore. I like Nomura, of course, but Tabata's no slouch. Crisis Core is near and dear to me, and even his lesser-acclaimed stuff like 3rd Birthday was still solid on a technical level (the main criticisms for that game were story-related, and that wasn't really his work anyway).
Finally, I'm actually hyped for a Final Fantasy release again.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:23 pm

When I heard that Nomura wasn't director anymore I almost immediately thought "oh god not, not Toriyama, he's shit" (a certain somebody on here used to hate him and in retrospect, for good reason). But Tabata is a solid director, judging by how amazing Type 0 looks to me.

It's strange how much of XII seems to have influenced both the design process behind the game (as in, straight up changing the battle system outright dramatically) AND the troubled development that we will never hear about. It's a shame really. It's sort of another XII case where the original director (Matsuno being replaced by Hiroyuki Ito) leaves the project and I feel that once the game ships and it inevitably doesn't live up to the hype for some people they'll dump on it since the original director (replace Matsuno on XII with Nomura on XV) left the project.

But yeah, really hyped for this game and that TGS trailer proves to me that I, for one, am going to love this game when it finally (really cannot emphasise finally enough here) releases.

Also, here's Type 0's TGS trailer:

phpBB [video]

And they've announced a new game in that series called Final Fantasy Agito+ (which is a prequel to Type 0) which is being developed exclusively for PlayStation Vita!

http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantas ... 1300.phtml
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:29 pm

That FF15 trailer! O_O

Wow... solid animations in a JRPG, the way some of those creatures moved was very impressive. Seems to take a page from Xenoblades book with the HUGE monsters and vast world map. This looks like it could be something guys. When it showed the blonde haired girl, I actually thought I was looking at video of a real person. damn. DAMMMNNNNN. Well im impressed, that was amazing, need dates damn it... Heres hoping for a world wide release on the same day or week, hell even month! Just get me this game!!!

edit - fuck! I need a a PS4!
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:49 pm

I think I read something earlier about a March 2015 release.

On that note, I'm still waiting to hear about a Final Fantasy XII HD... [-o<
Or hell, Crisis Core. If they HD-ified Agito, Crisis Core could certainly use it too. Game already looked amazing on PSP. Be nice to see it on consoles.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:02 pm

March 2015 for Final Fantasy Type-0 OL, or is that what you meant?

So im reading the FFXV demo will be packaged in with Type-0. I would expect to see XV hit shelves in 2015 or 16, I think it would be madness if it was anything longer than that see has 2016 will see a decade of dev time for that game. Jesus, it needs to come out asap.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming