Persona 5

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Persona 5

Postby Himuro » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:29 am

Ok would be a good description. The more I play the less I'm impressed.

Finished the first dungeon and it was really, really boring. By the end of it, I was counting the minutes for it to be over.

The story and characters are on point, but the gameplay - the main driver of SMT games - is really, really weak. The encounter design is poor and lacking variety. I was still killing Pixie's even at the end of the dungeon. Ambushes are too unbalanced on your end. Shadows are far easier to get an ambush on this game, making battles repetitive tedium. Battle difficulty is low, low, low. It almost reminds me of a Final Fantasy in that area. Dungeon design so far is extremely poor. The gimmicks (sneak thief stuff) are cool but little else. There's the occasional puzzle, but it's mostly just a gauntlet of battle after battle. Resource management, risk/reward, all elements that made SMT games great are absent here.

As it is, I love the non-dungeon stuff as it is. The stories and characters are great. But the battles, dungeon design, gameplay loop, are not SMT quality.

I'm actually disappointed. When I hope it'll get better the game puts you on rails and tells you can and can't do on endless days. We're going to go out and celebrate beating the first dungeon, but this means I can't study why exactly? That's tomorrow. Why can't I study today? Oh, because the cat won't let me go down stairs. What were they thinking? Again, the games limitation rears its ugly head.

So far, this is not on par with P3 or even P4 and its gameplay goes against everything that made me a Megaten fan in the first place.

I'm really hoping it gets better but right now I'm dealing with a cat tell me what I can and can't do.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kintor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:01 am

Himuro wrote: I'm really hoping it gets better but right now I'm dealing with a cat tell me what I can and can't do.

Have you ever had a cat as a pet? Telling humans what they can and can't do is a cat's purpose in life. Morgana is no exception; his ability to talk just makes it easier for him to influence the behaviour of humans for his benefit. :P

Anyway, I'm into the 2nd palace now and still really enjoying everything about Persona 5. No issues with the gameplay in my exercise. To spicy things up I often vary my attack strategies, even when fighting the same types of enemies. Sometimes physical attacks, sometimes persona attacks, or even occasionally guns if I'm feeling particularly vindictive. Besides, I can't praise Persona 5's battle system enough, even the interface just oozes style! I want to spend my time cycling through menu which is something I never thought I'd say about a game.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:31 am

Weirdly enough I also lost interest a little bit after the first palace.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Raithos » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:38 am

Himuro wrote: Ok would be a good description. The more I play the less I'm impressed.

Yep, that's exactly how I feel about it.

I haven't been playing since the start like you guys. I played P4 for the first time 4 yrs ago. Followed by me purchasing the entire series and playing them in order. So they are all fresh in my mind. So far this is the weakest one of the bunch to me. Before I would of said Revelations was it, although the PSP remake was much better.

Now, the weakest in a great series is still a solid game. Story and characters are great but that's about it. Once you look past all the flash everything else is sort of lackluster to me. Some of the design choices are disappointing as well. Other things seem over simplified for no good reason. Even on merciless its pretty easy except for the fact enemies can randomly one hit KO you.

Sill a good game and I'll see it to the end. The story is awesome. Maybe my opinions will change who knows. For now its definitely not the greatest thing since sliced bread like media outlets are making it out to be.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Kintor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:45 am

Raithos wrote: Yep, that's exactly how I feel about it.

I haven't been playing since the start like you guys. I played P4 for the first time 4 yrs ago. Followed by me purchasing the entire series and playing them in order. So they are all fresh in my mind. So far this is the weakest one of the bunch to me. Before I would of said Revelations was it, although the PSP remake was much better.

Now, the weakest in a great series is still a solid game. Story and characters are great but that's about it. Once you look past all the flash everything else is sort of lackluster to me. Some of the design choices are disappointing as well. Other things seem over simplified for no good reason. Even on merciless its pretty easy except for the fact enemies can randomly one hit KO you.

Sill a good game and I'll see it to the end. The story is awesome. Maybe my opinions will change who knows. For now its definitely not the greatest thing since sliced bread like media outlets are making it out to be.

I can't vouch for how it compares to previous Persona or SMT games but for once I think that the media's acclaim is actually closely aligned with genuine public sentiment. Persona 5 is honestly one of the greatest JRPGs that I have ever played. I already hold Persona in the same regard as I do games like Skies of Arcadia and Valkyria Chronicles. When I'm not playing Persona 5 I'm thinking about playing Persona 5; the gameplay, the story, the unique art style; everything is just so fresh to experience and a joy to behold. Already I think that Persona 5 will be remembered as one of the greatest games of all time and an easy top contender for GOTY 2017.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:36 am

Raithos wrote:
Himuro wrote: Ok would be a good description. The more I play the less I'm impressed.

Yep, that's exactly how I feel about it.

The only silver lining for me right now is that I'm still early.

Kintor wrote:for once I think that the media's acclaim is actually closely aligned with genuine public sentiment

This is probably why.

I can't vouch for how it compares to previous Persona or SMT games but

As most people (including the media) are in your camp. It's new to you. It's new to them. There's nothing wrong with that, though. Just something to keep in mind.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:10 pm

I'm almost done with May and I've barely done jack shit except what the game tells me to do. Linear sequence after linear sequence like the game is on rails. I want to go raise my guts but I can't. I want start a new s link with some politician but I can't. One segment and your entire day is done. This is awful and they have completely misunderstood what made P3/4 so charming and fun. P3 mixed simulation with rpg. It allowed you to make choices. During some weeks, such as during exams, things were linear but after that you could still do some crap without the game telling you what to do. Have a regular day with no fighting but there's some story sequence and want to do something in the evening? Well guess what? You need to go to bed for whatever reason. We don't want to be late for the art exhibit. Get back from the art exhibit, zero fighting involved, just a bunch of talking? Well it's night time and you should normally be able to do something but I won't let you because I'm a bad game designer. They have taken the sim element of Persona 3 - its most endearing feature - and turned it into horrible, mediocre mish mash. Playing this game is beyond frustrating at this point. I don't ever recall a single month in P3 going by so fast with such little fan fare.

Game of the year my ass.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kintor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:05 am

Himuro wrote: Game of the year my ass.

I find that Persona 5 really is one of the greatest games ever made and I'm surprised that you're spending so much time in this thread complaining about the game. For what it's worth I treat JRPGs differently to western RPGs. I acknowledge that many JRPGs are more like interactive linear stories rather than the D&D inspired systems of many western RPGs. So I'm perfectly happy to take Persona 5 on its own terms, if Joker's schedule is busy on a particular calendar or even many calendar days in the row then that's perfectly fine. Because Persona 5 isn't the chosen story of my character, it's Joker's story and we're all along for the ride.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:58 am

Kintor, that was not targeted at you at all. But just in general as many are saying it.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Jesse » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:13 pm

So far I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. The game has style in spades. The only real complaints is sometimes the enemies can randomly one shot kill you and I felt like the
pyramid, bank, & spaceport dungeons
felt like padding which I wasn't a fan of.

I'm enjoying Ann alot she seems like a more fleshed out Risette. Initially I thought during trailers that I would like her the least and she's turned out to be my favorite of the bunch. Yukiko is my absoule favorite of the series just love her. In p3 it was Yukari. (Granted I warmed up to Rise as P4 progressed)

Ryuji is a combo of Kanji & Yosuke.

Morgana I like alot and felt the same way with Teddie.

Yusuke is just sorta there don't hate him but eh.

Makoto I wasn't a fan of at first but I have since enjoyed her the most second behind Ann.

The music is wonderful don't know if it tops P4 or 3 yet though but I dig it.

As with p4 it's the story, characters, & bonds that keep me barreling towards the end. I just finished the
food CEO dungeon
& it already feels longer than p4 or 3. Maybe that's my imagination though. I can see myself going through this again in a year or so.
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Jesse » Mon May 01, 2017 2:27 pm

I beat p5 on April 24th and have been decompressing and going over my thoughts about it. The major critiques I have with it are the dungeons specifically the bank vault, spaceport, pyramid, & mice maze rooms on the cruise ship were added I felt to pad the overall runtime. The mice mazes were infuriating cause they kept dragging on and on.

Also I felt like in p4g I had alot more days overall to do whatever I wish. Having to skip almost the entirety of January was a bummer to me.

I would give p5 a score of 4 out of 5 but Golden is still my favorite and it's not even close. I have beaten Golden probably 6 or so times and will more than likely come back to 5 in a year but having to redo those dungeons is something I'm already dreading.

Jesse has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Jesse

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:03 pm

I changed my avatar because well Futaba in Persona 5 is my waifu. :P Red hair. Introvert. Hard time in public places and blames herself for the loss of a parent. Nerd & really into tech. Likes to wear masks to hide (I don't wear maks in public but do sometimes at home...my long sleeves/pants and hat year round is my of hiding. Elvis hid his neck with a scarf and such). Yup I can relate. So going to have MC pursue her. :lol: Ann is quite boring. Makato is stuck up. This game is getting better but the plot is way behind Persona 4. I don't feel there is much of one in this. I also just did 4 mementos in one sitting. :shock:
Last edited by Bluecast on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:52 pm

When did outside Shenmue topics get this slow? Almost no one posts in anything otherwise. Def a different atmosphere than a few years ago. Anyway I hate to DP but I finished P5. Got the true ending. Second Persona game second true ending. This is also a series I feel the further you go back the harder it is to get into. I am told to play P3 but a lot of what I and read up on would feel going backwards on some mechanics in a not so good way for me. I do like they pace these games out and not rush a bunch of sequels. That said. I am ready for a Persona 6 right now. :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby myshtuff » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Just started P5 the other day. Never really played a persona game before besides a little of 3. This game is great. They really got the feel of Japan down. I was even laughing when I went to Central street and saw a Nigerian dude trying to get you to come to his bar. Too damn real.

myshtuff has received a thanks from: Bluecast
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:33 pm

myshtuff wrote: Just started P5 the other day. Never really played a persona game before besides a little of 3. This game is great. They really got the feel of Japan down. I was even laughing when I went to Central street and saw a Nigerian dude trying to get you to come to his bar. Too damn real.

Give Digimon Cyber Slueth & Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE a try. They both have similar settings. Digimon is SMT with a Persona aesthetic. Tokyo Mirage Sessions is Persona lite or Diet Persona. Awesome games. Persona 5 is great. Also Persona 4. 4 is esp great.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming