Nier: Automata

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Nier: Automata

Postby OL » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:05 pm

Monkei wrote:Guess you have to actually play it for it to resonate with you on an emotional level.

I'd probably argue that that's the same with any great game, to a degree at least. The defining trait of videogames as a whole is their interactivity, and actually experiencing something (as opposed to just seeing it happen) tends to have a greater impact.
Sure, there are times where just watching might still get an emotional response (say, for example, The Last of Us), but that just means that actually playing it would magnify that response.

Monkei wrote:Also, I read it has four endings, which are all essential to the story, so you need to play through it four times? :/

It's not nearly as bad as it sounds. Without spoiling anything, setting off on a New Game+ actually starts you around the middle of the game, not the very beginning, and every time you visit a place you've seen before, you get new cutscenes and dialogue that show alternate perspectives on everything that happens. Previously soulless and voiceless NPCs suddenly have dialogue and personality, and it all makes you look at things differently.
It's probably the best use of a New Game+ feature that I've ever seen, because it isn't just letting you replay everything while fully leveled up; it's actually giving you a new experience, a new side of the story.
It's worth it, for sure.

OL has received a thanks from: Monkei
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:21 pm

This game...this music... :shock:

On Route B now and safe to say it's one of the best games Square Enix has produced in quite some time, heck, it's the best soundtrack of the generation too. The music is actually a big surprise, was expecting it be a disappointment considering how 10/10 fucking amazing the original's is (some of my favourite music ever, let alone video game's) and it's continually taking the music in directions you never heard in the original (seriously, there's some Tekken music influence in this brilliant boss theme) and also being a fine fucking extension of the original's soundtrack, then there's some of it that is like this beautiful ambient synth. So, so glad I'm pre-ordering the soundtrack off Amazon Japan.

There's a lot of surprises in there for fans of the original too. The final boss of Route A was a fucking masterpiece of intensity. Like, oh my god.
The fucking Watchers from Drakengard 1? reference? What in the fuck? And so many forms he goes through too.
The reception to the game is overwhelmingly good too, so glad to hear it's already surpassed NieR's sales in Japan, hope that means we get a remaster and more games from Yoko Taro + Platinum Games (with Okabe composing and Akihiko Yoshida doing art again of course).

Everybody seems to have brought their A game to this sequel.

Newcomers don't need to worry about catching up, just jump in with this game, it's very much its own thing.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Monkei
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Monkei » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:58 pm

OL wrote:
Monkei wrote:Guess you have to actually play it for it to resonate with you on an emotional level.

I'd probably argue that that's the same with any great game, to a degree at least. The defining trait of videogames as a whole is their interactivity, and actually experiencing something (as opposed to just seeing it happen) tends to have a greater impact.

True and a good point, but what I meant is when I see a trailer for a game like Yooka-Laylee oder Death Stranding than my mind is pretty much blown, or at least I'm really really interested. I don't get that from what I've seen of Nier.. and my guess is that you can't really see what's so great or interesting about it on its surface, you really need the whole experience to get it. Something like that. I don't know if that makes sense. What makes this game interesting for me is what you guys (and other Nier fans in comments and user reviews) are saying about it. And I think you got me, I guess I need to play that game someday. I'll wait till the end of the year, and if they haven't announced a PS4 remaster by then, I'll get the PS3 version, if I have the chance ro play it on somebody's PS3. Or I'll wait a little longer, we'll see. : D

Monkei has received a thanks from: OL
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Ah, okay, I getcha then. I've totally experienced that before; I think I was that way with Demon's/Dark Souls at first. I didn't really get why there was so much fervor over them before I'd tried them, because on the surface, through trailers and whatnot, it just looked like a bunch of random medieval fantasy tropes. "So what?" I thought.
Of course playing them turned that around pretty quick.
I still feel that way about the Mass Effect series too. Looks like the most generic sci-fi imaginable, and I don't have much desire to play them at all. But with all the acclaim they've gotten, I still get the feeling that playing them might change that perception.
So yeah, I can understand if Nier doesn't seem so hot from the outside.

If nothing else, I recommend listening to a little bit of the soundtrack. This stuff, even out of context, would be enough to convince me to play it, personally. ;-)

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

When it comes right down to it, even though I'm not quite as nutty about Nier as some others (still love it regardless, don't get me wrong), this is simply some of the best music in gaming in my eyes.

OL has received a thanks from: Monkei
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:19 pm

OL wrote: Ah, okay, I getcha then. I've totally experienced that before; I think I was that way with Demon's/Dark Souls at first. I didn't really get why there was so much fervor over them before I'd tried them, because on the surface, through trailers and whatnot, it just looked like a bunch of random medieval fantasy tropes. "So what?" I thought.
Of course playing them turned that around pretty quick.
I still feel that way about the Mass Effect series too. Looks like the most generic sci-fi imaginable, and I don't have much desire to play them at all. But with all the acclaim they've gotten, I still get the feeling that playing them might change that perception.
So yeah, I can understand if Nier doesn't seem so hot from the outside.

If nothing else, I recommend listening to a little bit of the soundtrack. This stuff, even out of context, would be enough to convince me to play it, personally. ;-)

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

When it comes right down to it, even though I'm not quite as nutty about Nier as some others (still love it regardless, don't get me wrong), this is simply some of the best music in gaming in my eyes.

Hmm, I'm not as much into Japanese music and vocals as you are (at least that's what I got from browsing bits of that Japanese music topic for example), but yeah, those are some fine tunes. Nothing that convinces me of really needing this game (and soundtracks can have that effect on me) right now, but still very beautiful. In the end it's all a matter of personal taste, heh.
Well, now that you've explained it, the four endings sound pretty great and not like a chore at all. Like I said, for now I won't go out of my way to play Nier on a PS3, but me buying an eventual PS4 remaster is a sure thing. Mainly thanks to you and Henry explaining your love for it. :D

Monkei has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Previous

Return to General Gaming