Nier: Automata

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Nier: Automata

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:22 pm

Being developed by Platinum games.

phpBB [video]

Last edited by Riku Rose on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Raithos
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Nier Sequel

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:25 pm

I just saw that... fuck yes! The directors costume when he was addressing the crowd at the conference :lol:
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:28 pm

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD. I JUST... BEST E3 EVER EVER EVER. AKIHIKO YOSHIDA IS DOING THE ART TOO MY GOD DREAM TEAM. I CAN'T I WAS IN TEARS. NO WAY FIRST SHENMUE NOW THIS AHHHHH.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:41 pm

I absolutely loved Nier. I'll get that out of the way first.

But... does it need a sequel? It seemed like a very (VERY) singular, one-off kind of experience. When it gets to the end, there really isn't anywhere else for it to go, nor is there much reason for a direct prequel.
And while I liked Drakengard 3, it was a little underwhelming compared to what I was hoping for after Nier.
I'll keep an open mind (the dev team sounds amazing), but I'm just not sure I understand the necessity for this. Something else in the Drakengard timeline/universe would be fine, sure, but what about this makes it necessary to actually call it "Nier"?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:54 pm

Is any sequel normally necessary? Not really. But who cares when there is an excuse to head back into the world of Nier. Drakengard 3's biggest issue was technical now it is Platinum Games it will be a good looking and well made game with technical polish. Akihiko Yoshida is just icing on the cake for me. Unbelievable. This E3 is the thing which dreams are made of.

Square are really going all out now.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:25 pm

My problem with Drakengard 3 was also partly story and character-based, as I thought most of the constant (and inane) sexual banter just felt forced.

And sure, most sequels are technically unnecessary, but with Nier specifically... is there really anywhere else to go with the actual character of Nier? I could understand if it's just something taking place in the same world, but using the name Nier implies his inclusion... and I just feel like anything extra from him would stomp on the beauty of the original game's ending.
Besides that, I kind of always took the game's world as being sort of dream-like and surreal, as if it only existed for the events happening around Nier and his allies... so the idea of anything further just feels odd to me anyway.

Mind you, I'm not against the project, I'm just a bit apprehensive to get all too excited for it. I'll still play it, no doubt.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:32 pm

They could easily off shoot from one of the many endings from Nier. Perhaps a descendant of Nier's or set in an alternate timeline entirely. And I get what you are saying but Nier was my favourite game last gen alongside Dark Souls 1 which also received an unnecessary sequel despite being self contained and a brilliantly realised world and story/lore but I sure as hell will keep playing those since I love that universe. Not for a long time had a game touched me as much as Nier did.

The team assembled for this is unreal. Who could have seen Yoshida as the artist. Plus more Nier music how can anyone say no to that. I guess we will see how things turns out but I am optimistic.

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Victor Savage » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:21 pm

never played nier. was it really that good? On that note: why was that guy wearing the weird mask?
Victor Savage
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Play and find out.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: OL, Thief
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:00 pm

New details from director Yoko Taro:

* There are three main protagonists in the game: the girl in the trailer (who is a completely new character), a young boy, and a character not yet revealed.

* The story takes place in the same world, but most locations are new. Even if areas from the original Nier appear in the game, they will be completely redesigned.

* The theme of the game is "agaku," a Japanese word that means to struggle/desperately fight your way out of a situation. (According to the translator.)

* The story is completely new, and has very little connection to the original Nier.

* Characters from the previous game may make a brief cameo, but will not be a part of the main story.

* The development team is toying with the idea of allowing players to experience multiple playthroughs using each of the main characters.

* The reason Platinum Games was chosen to develop the game was because of the developer's ability to do fast-paced combat.

* The three protagonists may travel together at times, but not always. (This is still being decided.)

* The reason the game is on the PS4 is because of the platform's high specs.

* One of Platinum Games' goals is to have the game run at 60 FPS.

* The early version of the battle system's is described as very "Nier-like."

* There will be more towns and cities in the game, which will have a dilapidated look and feel to them.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/19/1 ... e-new-nier
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Sounds like it may be harder this time around. Do you think Platinum Games can bring back the cavia magic? I have no idea who all from the original team is still on board, but hopefully the right people are still involved.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Zengaku » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:58 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Sounds like it may be harder this time around. Do you think Platinum Games can bring back the cavia magic? I have no idea who all from the original team is still on board, but hopefully the right people are still involved.

I think the names that they have shown is probably in my eyes the dream team for a game like this, you essentially have the people who made the world of Nier coming back to create the story, world, and characters while having the people at platinum (more specifically the ones who worked on Metal Gear Rising) to come through in the gameplay department, I am beyond hyped to see what comes out of this. No one really played Nier for the gameplay, they played for the story, music,and characters, the game itself wasn't all that special. So I think bringing Platinum on for this is a perfect fit
Zengaku
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Video Games

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:22 pm

^I liked the gameplay. I enjoyed running through the fields to that beautiful music, the text adventure sections, the platforming sections, the survival horror homage, the boss battles, the dungeons, everything. I personally like that they are keeping the same sorts of powers from the first game in it and will be staying true to the original.

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:28 pm

^^Totally agree. Saying that:

Zengaku wrote:No one really played Nier for the gameplay...

...is absolutely false. The thing that actually convinced me to play it in the first place was a video I saw showing the way it dabbled in different genres, despite being, at its base, an action-RPG. I mean, it practically turns into half a bullet hell shooter at one point. That was too cool for me to ignore.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:40 pm

Yoko Taro opens his own company (with his wife and another former member of Cavia):

There’s an official website for Bukkoro, but there’s not much detail on it, besides the above image drawn by his wife Yukiko Yoko, who is the illustrator for the Taiko: Drum Master series. It reads “I don’t really know any details…”

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/28/ni ... n-company/

Didn't even realise he was married to the Taiko Drum Master series artist. Interesting. Wonder if they will make something more light hearted after all of the dark, depressing games Taro normally makes. Would be cool to see. My guess is his company will be sort of like Yu Suzuki's YsNet Inc. or Hironobu Sakaguchi's Mistwalker - a very small development team that consists of only 5 - 10 employees, that contract their work out at these massive Japanese publishers/devs.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming