Nier: Automata

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Nier Sequel

Postby OL » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:20 am

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:It kinda sounds like it's a prequel to Nier, since in Nier the residents were amazed at how trains used to exist. If they're making androids, it sounds like humans still had some capabilities in this timeline...

Could just as easily be a far-future sequel. Taro's games don't seem to mind jumping between spans of thousands of years. Humanity could have somehow rebuilt itself, repeated everything that went wrong with it before, then fallen to ruin once again. Or it could be another split in the timeline (just as Nier was a split from the Drakangard games, based on one of the alternate endings of the first game). I kind of like that though, that there are so many possibilities. They don't mind going weird.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Re: Nier: Automata

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:44 am

Some new gameplay footage:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:06 am

Coming early 2017.

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:08 pm

phpBB [video]

I must admit this game looks good. But i know how these games are and I cant, I just cant lol
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:18 pm

Gameplay footage with Director Yoko Taro, Game designer Takahisa Taura and Producer Yosuke Saito.

phpBB [video]

Looks like Nier to me.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:00 pm

Another new trailer:

Well, here's a comparison, unsure which VA I'll be rolling with when this comes out, since the English VA sounds surprisingly... good?

English version (English VA):

phpBB [video]

Japanese VA:

phpBB [video]

Also, that voice at the end of the trailer... :shock:

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:48 am

Apparently there's a demo on the European PSN Store now, probably won't be able to check it out until after Christmas though.

After finishing Transformers: Devastation these days (which was a nice little blast) I'm really looking forward to some more Platinum madness. :D
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:37 pm

This is the only game coming out in 2017 that I have full confidence it will be a masterpiece.

phpBB [video]
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:14 pm

So that bossfight in the demo was pretty fun, eh?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:31 pm

Really good demo. It actually outshone the Gravity Rush 2 demo I played just prior to it, which is nuts considering how much I love Gravity Rush (though to be fair, the GR one was pretty much just the tutorial/things I'd already done in the first game).
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:05 pm

This game now stands at 94 on metacritic.com and I love Platinum anyway - I so need to get this..

Question to you guys: Would you recommend playing the original Nier beforehand? Or would you recommend playing the original Nier in general? If so, why? And why are the reviews so meh?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:47 pm

Monkei wrote: This game now stands at 94 on metacritic.com and I love Platinum anyway - I so need to get this..

Question to you guys: Would you recommend playing the original Nier beforehand? Or would you recommend playing the original Nier in general? If so, why? And why are the reviews so meh?

The original is a cult classic to me in terms of memorable characters with great voice acting and humor, profound and grand scale plot, and melancholic dreamlike atmosphere thanks to the amazing OST. Reviews were mixed due mainly to the substandard graphics and uneven quest design. The original has a more JRPG feel to it than action too, and for what I've read about Automata the original lore is only referenced slightly. So though I love Nier, I do not recommend it just for the sake of Automata, when the latter seems to beat it in every game design element (aside from the stuff mentioned that I love about the original).

EDIT: Thinking back, I do recommend it as a general game if you enjoy titles like Deadly Premonition and Earthbound, where narrative and world building takes priority over level design and mechanics.
Last edited by sand4fish on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Monkei
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:07 pm

No way it is keeping that score. That's only from the more niche websites so far. Not really surprised either way that it's getting good reviews off those who have finished it however. This game is rad. Music is almost at the original's quality, some of it is the continuation of the music, some of its music sounds distinctively different from previous Nier music (and still sounds great) and some of it sounds so melancholic. So glad I pre-ordered the soundtrack (can only get the 3rd disc if you pre-order the first release, any stock after that will miss out on the 3rd CD).

NieR was my favourite game from last generation (next to Dark Souls 1) simply put because of the music, storyline, characters, dialogue, the atmosphere and way it defied genres. If you enjoy games like Team Ico's games, Zelda, story heavy games, like a wide variety of games (since it changes genres a few times over the course of the game) and just generally weird niche Japanese games you should try it. Why did it have low Metacritic? Because journalists last gen were a joke, that's why. Make up your own mind about games, don't let others do that for you. It's also shorter that you'd think too. Think I clocked in at 40ish hours in total doing all of the side quests and doing the NG+ runs (since the game changes when you do NG+ the first time, which drops you in halfway through the game) all combined.

EDIT: Automata has sold three times what NieR did in its first week, so the outlook is looking good for more PG + Yoko games in the future.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: KidMarine, Monkei
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:15 am

Hmpf. I keep watching Nier gameplay videos, but somehow it's not catching me. Guess you have to actually play it for it to resonate with you on an emotional level. Also, I read it has four endings, which are all essential to the story, so you need to play through it four times? : / Maybe they'll do a PS4 port if Automata sells well enough, I might consider it then.

You were right about the metascore Henry. It's still a 90 though. : )
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Monkei wrote: Hmpf. I keep watching Nier gameplay videos, but somehow it's not catching me. Guess you have to actually play it for it to resonate with you on an emotional level. Also, I read it has four endings, which are all essential to the story, so you need to play through it four times? : / Maybe they'll do a PS4 port if Automata sells well enough, I might consider it then.

You got it. If I recall my feelings when I first started playing the original it was a bit of a drag for the first few hours TBH. But it does grows more and more on you, specially playthrough after playthrough where its world really starts opening up for you, which it's kind of unusual for games in general.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming