Panzer Dragoon Saga/Azel RPG

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Panzer Dragoon Saga/Azel RPG

Postby Mr357 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:56 pm

Has anyone here played this game? I very recently got into Saturn collecting and have heard mixed opinions on it, although many hail it as the holy grail of the Saturn and one of the best games ever. The North American version is insanely expensive and out of the question, but I could get the Japanese version for around $20-40 ($18 + free shipping on Amazon). For a single Saturn game that's still pretty steep, but if it really is as good as some say I'll try it.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Panzer Dragoon Saga/Azel RPG

Postby OL » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:04 pm

Being an RPG, it's probably kind of pointless to get the Japanese version unless you understand the language. Half the appeal is in the world, characters, lore, and story, so I would think it'd be a bit of a moot effort importing it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:06 pm

It's also emulatable in full HD using SSF (I didn't even encounter any graphical glitches when I tried it)
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:31 pm

I've played it numerous times. The atmosphere of the world just enriches every single time you play it, as bizarre as that sounds. It's certainly the most unique RPG ever created, in that there are barely any NPC's and you only have one character as playable. The mixture of battles and score is so overwhelming beautiful at times. Especially against enemies such as Grig Orig and Atolm. They are insanely memorable; I get goosebumps just thinking about them.

Anyway, if this is to be your first experience with PDS, for the love of GOD don't get the Japanese version. You need to experience it for the story. It is extremely touching in places and very deep in others. That ending still tear jerks me every time too.

My honest opinion would be to shell out for the NA version. Consider it a rental if you have to, you'll make back what you bought it for anyway (if you feel you can sell it after playing it :P ) Besides, there's a reason why it's so expensive - it's one of the best games ever made and it was only released in limited numbers.

Overall, Saga was pretty much perfection from beginning to end by a development team on fire. You won't have experienced anything like it before and you most certainly won't ever again.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: KiBa
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:10 pm

Don't buy the game if you don't care about owning/collecting it. If you instead want to just play the game, then do what I did and buy a Sega Saturn Mod Chip -- $40 for the entire Saturn library. Even if you're new to soldering, it'll be incredibly easy for you to install. It's like four (rather large) points you need to connect. Please consider this as an option instead of shelling out hundreds of dollars for one game.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mr357 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:11 am

You guys don't seem to have much faith in my Japanese. I'll have you know I played Shenmue 2, so if I'm not an expert I don't know who is.

I'll probably end up getting a chip like Thief suggested. However, if there aren't too many other Saturn games that I decide I want, I may just save even more money and use the disc swap technique.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:53 am

Mr357 wrote: You guys don't seem to have much faith in my Japanese. I'll have you know I played Shenmue 2, so if I'm not an expert I don't know who is.

Nowhere in this thread did you state you could understand Japanese. :-s
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby amiga1200 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:51 am

Mr357 wrote: You guys don't seem to have much faith in my Japanese. I'll have you know I played Shenmue 2, so if I'm not an expert I don't know who is.

I'll probably end up getting a chip like Thief suggested. However, if there aren't too many other Saturn games that I decide I want, I may just save even more money and use the disc swap technique.
^^ one word: optical drive emulator. (three words) it's what i'm waiting for, distancing my consoles from optical medias where possible.
(RHEA is it's name.)
never owned the saturn version, or even played it, gave the loose retail disk away yonders ago.
have the xbox game, it's okay, but it's an acquired taste. :P
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Mr357 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:28 pm

Sonoshee wrote:

Lighten up. It was a joke.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:46 pm

Mr357 wrote:
Sonoshee wrote:

Lighten up. It was a joke.

Didn't sound like one to me, sounded more like a factual outburst.

Try using those little icons known as "smilies". They help.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr357 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:04 pm

Get me a Kappa smiley and we'll have no issues. :)

I thought it would be obvious enough due to the absurdity of my statement. Shenmue II only taught me two Japanese words/phrases- "this is" and "thank you."
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:18 pm

You convinced me into believing you knew Japanese, then convinced me that you don't. Maybe you really do understand it... Or maybe you don't. Either way I'll admit defeat before my head pops! :lol:

Back on topic, did you decide what to do in the end regarding PDS? :)
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr357 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:19 pm

Nope, except that I'm going to play it.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby jakester » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:56 pm

PDS is one of my favourite games of all time. Amazing atmosphere, great battles, great immersive story. I wanted a sequel of this just as much as I wanted Shenmue 3 to be honest. My brother was trying to convince me to sell the game a whie back because it was going for so much on ebay but I couldn't bring myself to!
jakester
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Sorry to bring this thread back, but I just need to echo the statements of Sonoshee and co.

PDS is gaming bliss and thensome; Along with SOA and PSIV, Sega's best RPG ever and what a wonderful title it is.

Sona mi Areru ec Sancitu reduces me to tears whenever I hear it; an enduring and fantastic piece of music.

Edge is an awesome character and Lagi is an absolute star. Azel makes for a superb character as well, there are just too many good things I can say about the game, I'd be here all day.

Almost forgot, Azel (in her famous pose) is the second biggest tattoo on my Sega leg, in all her black, white and (slightly) purple goodness :D

So, Mr357, did you ever pick it up?
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Return to General Gaming