Nioh (PS4) - Onimusha meets Dark Souls

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Nioh (PS4) - Onimusha meets Dark Souls

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:10 am

Honestly looks fucking amazing:

phpBB [video]

Developed by Tecmo (Makoto Shibata's team? Or the Ninja Gaiden team? Either way, looks fucking amazing). Looks like Feudal Japan with inspiration of From Software's games.

EDIT: Wonderful concept artwork to go along with this:

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Nankeiro, OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: Nioh (PS4) - Onimusha meets Dark Souls

Postby Zoltor » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:27 am

Woh there, while it does look awesome(It's like a better version of Dark Souls, with Samurai, this would sell like crazy here), look at the name of the game, and worse yet, the developer(awesome developer too sigh, but most of the games they make, never leave Japan, and they don't localize/publish the games them selves, when they do), there's only a 5% chance this will leave Japan

The 5% chance, is if ATLUS or NIS brings it over, and since ATLUS hasn't been doing jack lately outside of the 1st party games(they do seem to be bringing over one 3rd part game that has promise, but that's it, they're mainly in rereleases ATLUS developed games mode), It's very unlikely. As for NIS, this is so not the type of game, they are known to pick up, and It's beyond super rare for them to pick up 3rd party games in general.
Last edited by Zoltor on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Axm » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:35 am

Buy
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:23 am

Man, that looks amazing. It really is half Onimusha, half Dark Souls. Insta-buy, for sure. Just based on that little bit I'm seeing, this could turn into a favorite.

Zoltor wrote: Woh there, while it does look awesome(It's like a better version of Dark Souls, with Samurai, this would sell like crazy here), look at the name of the game, and worse yet, the developer(awesome developer too sigh, but most of the games they make, never leave Japan, and they don't localize/publish the games them selves, when they do), there's only a 5% chance this will leave Japan

The 5% chance, is if ATLUS or NIS brings it over, and since ATLUS hasn't been doing jack lately outside of the 1st party games(they do seem to be bringing over one 3rd part game that has promise, but that's it, they're mainly in rereleases ATLUS developed games mode), It's very unlikely. As for NIS, this is so not the type of game, they are known to pick up, and It's beyond super rare for them to pick up 3rd party games in general.

Jesus Christ, it's absolutely baffling where you get some of these thoughts you have about various developers and publishers.
KoeiTecmo are actually one of the best developers/publishers to be releasing stuff in the west recently. Every one of their major releases in recent memory has been localized into English (the Warriors series, anything DOA, Fatal Frame V is being localized as we speak), and even some of their minor ones to go along with them (I just bought Nobunaga's Ambition this month, the new Deception a couple months ago, while both Toukiden releases and Bladestorm Nightmare have made it over as well).
I'd say, if it were just up to KoeiTecmo, the chances of this being localized are far closer to 90%. Last few years, they haven't been screwing around. And being that this is PS4-exclusive, and the Dark Souls style has already proven itself to be a hit, I have no doubt that Sony will be aching to release this in the west as well.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:32 am

It just baffles me how anyone can think we're not getting any games from Tecmo, the same company that has localized everything in their portfolio in the past two years. Boggles my mind how anyone can think we're not getting this game.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:38 am

Oh shit, I just had a crazy realization.
I've seen that artwork before.
I always thought this game was cancelled. This was in development a fucking decade ago. Check the proof right here:

http://www.ign.com/images/games/ni-oh-p ... ed13ebd862
Screenshots from 2005. I remember thinking it looked interesting, but then nothing ever came of it.
Holy shit, I guess we can never really count a project down when it goes off the radar again. They can just get brought back and retooled.
Amazing stuff. Great to see they don't just forget old projects.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:05 pm

"Originally developed as a three-way project between KOEI Corporation, Kou Shibusawa Productions, and Kurosawa Productions (with a motion picture that was cancelled in September of 2005), Ni-Oh is based on a previously lost script from the legendary Japanese filmmaker Akira Kurosawa."

A would be Kurosawa movie turned videogame... What's not to like about this game?
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:02 pm

More games need samurai!
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Zoltor » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:33 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote: More games need samurai!

Definitely :)
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shin Pan Tzee » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:57 pm

Love how the Souls combat is starting to get mimicked by others too. Then adding a bit of Ninja Gaiden over the top moves and samurai setting on top of it, this game just looks fucking glorious.

I always wanted a Souls game based on an eastern setting, but this will do. Hopefully the whittu piggu looking character means it's coming to the west, and hopefully is not voiced by Nolan North or Troy Baker.

Highly agreed. Meanwhile Ubisoft thinks japanese setting is overused and feudal japan would be too familiar.
Shin Pan Tzee
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Zoltor » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:40 pm

Shin Pan Tzee wrote: Love how the Souls combat is starting to get mimicked by others too. Then adding a bit of Ninja Gaiden over the top moves and samurai setting on top of it, this game just looks fucking glorious.

I always wanted a Souls game based on an eastern setting, but this will do. Hopefully the whittu piggu looking character means it's coming to the west, and hopefully is not voiced by Nolan North or Troy Baker.

Highly agreed." Meanwhile Ubisoft thinks japanese setting is overused and feudal japan would be too familiar."

First Ubisoft should actually learn how to develop good games, instead of making just ok games, and then somehow managing to make them worse lol, before trying to claim such things. The modern Japanese setting is overused yes, but a historical Japanese setting is definitely not overused.
Last edited by Zoltor on Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby fittersau » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:47 am

OL wrote: Oh shit, I just had a crazy realization.
I always thought this game was cancelled. This was in development a fucking decade ago. Check the proof right here:

2015 The year of resurrecting franchises! Hell Yeah.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:53 am

fittersau wrote:
OL wrote: Oh shit, I just had a crazy realization.

2015 The year of resurrecting franchises! Hell Yeah.

It's also the year, where intrusive publishers being run by people who know little to nothing about the industry lose all the power to dictate stuff, that makes no god damn sense to anyone, but their ignorant selves :)
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:58 am

Jeez, give it a rest already. Seriously. You don't have to be so insistent about your negativity all the time. You've already said this stuff about fifteen times in the past two days, despite the fact that, with a scant few exceptions, the industry is really, really obviously getting better. You sound like an angry thirteen-year-old circa 2010.
"Grr, everything sucks and everyone is stupid but me, grr!"
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:59 am

Really reminds me of Dorian...
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III