Your First Yu Suzuki Game

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Your First Yu Suzuki Game

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:41 pm

My first ever Yu Suzuki game was the Amiga version of Super Hang-On.

phpBB [video]

My dad had an Amiga which he used for office work and our family's bookkeeping in the early 90's and I had some games for it already, like Lemmings and so on. One of my parents' friends was a programmer and he was even crazier about computer games than I was, even though I was like 5 or something like that at that time. :lol: The programmer guy lived in a different city and since we didn't have any internet connection and long-distance phone calls were still super expensive, my parents and their friend would sometimes write letters back and forth. One time he sent an Amiga game for me in one of his letters to my parents.

My parents said, their friend had sent something for me in the letter. It was a grey floppy disc and it said "Super Hang-On" in handwriting on it. Yes, I confess, my first Yu Suzuki game ever was pirated. :oops: Now at that point in time, I had no Idea whatsoever who Yu Suzuki is or what kind of game Hang-On is. But I knew Sega. I had played a Mega Drive and the original Sonic at a friend's place before. I had since been begging my parents for a Mega Drive but they wouldn't buy me one.

So Sonic was the coolest game I knew at that time, which in turn meant that Sega had to be the coolest gaming company. Then, when I first popped the floppy disc into the Amiga I saw the blue logo and thought "Yeah! It's from the same people who made Sonic! This game must be awesome!" And what can I say? I was not disappointed. It instantly became one of my favorite Amiga games, probably even the favorite one.

I played it and played it and played it. Unlike the loser in the video above I didn't use any codes or anything. In the end the game became way too easy for me and I played it with my left hand until I could do perfect runs with the left hand too (using the classic red and black Amiga joystick). I was always kinda bummed when you beat the final stage and the driver takes off his helmet and you see it's an old geezer who smokes a pipe but still I loved super Hang-On so much. I knew every turn by heart and could also hum all of the 4 BGM songs by heart. :king: I especially loved and still love Outride a Crisis and Hard Road.

phpBB [video]

The funny thing is the first time I ever consciously noticed Yu's name was when I saw it on the manual of Shenmue 1 just before I started my first ever playthrough. Even though I had bought some more of his games in the meantime like VF, G-Loc, Outrun. But then, when I first entered the Yu Arcade and found Hang On in there, the game I had loved so much as a little child, it suddenly occured to me that the very same guy who made Hang On could be the guy who made Shenmue! I looked it up and it was true!

I finally realized what a legend Yu is. :D

What was your first ever Yu Suzuki game and what's the story behind it?

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Your First Yu Suzuki Game

Postby Shibiryo » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Mine's was virtuaaaaaaaa fighteruuuuu!!!
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:50 pm

Must of been OutRun on the Mega Drive if I remember correctly. I think I borrowed it from my best friend of the time.

I realised how big a game it was when I got my first game over and saw the multiple routes, though at the time I could only get half way.

I remember having a MotoGP game as part of a collection with Columns and Streets of Rage, would that have been Hang-On?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Zoltor » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:56 pm

Mine was Outrun in the Arcades.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Mr357 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Space Harrier!
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Monkei » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Virtua Fighter 2 on PC :)
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:47 pm

Halo
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:50 pm

Pretty sure it was Hang On in the arcade. May have been one of his other arcade games, im not sure exactly.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Giorgio » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:54 pm

OutRun, on an arcade cabinet like this:

Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:31 pm

For me it must have been Space Harrier on the Master System, followed by Super Hang-On for the Mega Drive as part of a Mega Games compilation.

Not much of a story behind either I'm afraid, although I remember my young mind being intrigued by Space Harrier's setting, the Fantasy Zone, sharing its name with another Sega game, starring Opa-Opa. The crossover fanfic I could have written, if I wasn't so busy tracing pictures of Sonic.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Peter » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:54 pm

Super Hang-On on the Mega Drive here. I skipped the Master System and started my console experience on the Mega-Drive.

Around the same time, i also began hitting up arcades and Afterburner II and Super Hang-On cabinets i will never forget.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Zoltor » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:03 pm

Peter wrote: Super Hang-On on the Mega Drive here. I skipped the Master System and started my console experience on the Mega-Drive.

Around the same time, i also began hitting up arcades and Afterburner II and Super Hang-On cabinets i will never forget.

I was never a fan of the Afterburner games, and I suspect when I go for my competionist run of Shenmue 2, that's going to be the hardest toy to get(you require so many points in that game too, sigh).
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:00 pm

Probably Hang-On on arcade. I remember pretty well because I always failed to balance the bike as I was too young and light lol.

I would love to play the mythical R360, the best arcade cabinet of all time but never got the opportunity.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Mr357 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:03 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Probably Hang-On on arcade. I remember pretty well because I always failed to balance the bike as I was too young and light lol.

I would love to play the mythical R360, the best arcade cabinet of all time but never got the opportunity.

I've played R360! :mrgreen:

It was cool, but the actual game was nothing spectacular. It almost felt like a carnival ride.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Raithos » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:29 am

Space Harrier
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Next