Psychonauts 2

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Psychonauts 2

Postby Monkei » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:05 am

shredingskin wrote:
phpBB [video]

Wow, that's sick.

Huh, interesting.. :|
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:38 pm

I don't think they'll fuck the few investors they had.

But they certainly covered their asses pretty damn good.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Thief » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:54 pm

Sounds like a pretty dumb idea to invest in Psychonauts 2. Crowdfunding is stupid anyway -- only did it for Shenmue 3 because, as you all know, I had too. This crowdfunding thing will die out in a few years, when nostalgia runs dry and expectations aren't met. One penny lost too many and people won't bite. At least I hope they won't bite, for their sakes.

Anyway, that said, I bought Psychonauts on steam like 3 years ago, and never played it (it was like $1). Started playing it yesterday and it's pretty damn fun. Looking forward to the rest of the playthrough.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:03 pm

I think the idea of crowdfunding is pretty much a very anticipated preorder.

The thing that fig tried to do is interesting, but wow, it's sketchy as fuck.

I did get some nice games from KS though, tex murphy was a game I was REALLY glad I could back (those people tried really hard to make it happen, and the game with 1m did quite a lot), dreamfall is another one.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Thief
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:08 pm

Oh my gosh.. Dreamfall Chapters! I completely forgot! Thank you for reminding me -- I had been waiting for that game for so long. Can't believe I forgot it was coming out.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:18 pm

It has come out, I stopped at book 3, it's pretty consistent so far (better than the original dreamfall, not quite the longest journey). There are some points that it tends to drag a little though.

The branching narrative is handled in an interesting way, while binary there's not "kill this guy or this other one", but seems kinda organic. Let's see how everything ends.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:58 pm

phpBB [video]
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:27 pm

Awesome hearing the exact same voices again, after all these years. I hope the VR stuff isn't integral to the game though. I have no interest in VR at the moment. I just want a straight-up sequel.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:17 am

Nah this is a separate thing from the second game. This will just be something they put up on the store or sell separately.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Monkei » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:59 am

phpBB [video]

Monkei has received a thanks from: OL
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Psychonuats is in my top 10. Still shocked we're getting a sequel. Would have preferred adult Rez and all but I'm fine with what we're getting.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:10 am

Raz.
But yeah, one of my favorites too. It does feel almost unreal that it's happening.
Have to say though... I hope the games various locales aren't centered mainly around what they're showing there. I was kind of expecting Psychonauts headquarters to be based in an urban setting or something. Or maybe a tropical setting. I dunno, something other than the North American-esque forest areas that we kind of already saw in the first game.
Not a knock against what we're seeing by any means (I'm just glad we're getting it at all, and it looks nice so far), and granted, many areas will be inside people's minds (and therefore have a variety of motifs anyway). I just don't know that I was expecting... more forest. Hope they move away from that a bit.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:45 am

Fucking phones and auto correct.

Yeah it looks underwhelming to me so far because it looks too familiar? It doesn't help that Psychonauts HQ is right by the camp, so naturally it'll have a similar environment. My hope is that you'll be able to control multiple characters in this one to spice things up. Playing as Milla Vodello who was always a favorite would be awesome.

Himuro has received a thanks from: OL
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Monkei » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:24 am

Yeah, that's how I felt. Looks very much like the first game so far.. but it's too early to tell whether the whole game will feel like that. I'm also wondering why Raz switched back to his "not-yet-a-psychonaut"-outfit after having changed his look at the end of the first game. I mean yeah, he's a mascot-style platformer hero I guess, and those don't really change their basic look much at all (brand recognition and stuff), but I had really wished for more evolution there. I would have liked to play as full-blown psychonaut Raz. Similar to how Himuro would have liked a grown up Raz. Oh well. Wait and see, I guess. I'm still very excited it's coming.

Monkei has received a thanks from: Himuro
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:48 am

A couple of things give Psychonauts 2 the advantage here despite looking very similar to the first. For one thing, we don't know the full premise do we? I've kind of been on black out for this game beyond the initial fund raiser. Psychonauts HQ is a great place to explore more of the Psychonauts world, which was already riddled with amazing lore. Man, I need to replay Pyschonauts. Since adventures are back in style now, I'm really hoping the game is more adventure-game styled Milkman Conspiracy-esque in its gameplay than Meat Circus 3d platformer style. The platforming was the weakest aspect of Psychonauts and while the later levels are fantastic (especially Milkman Conspiracy and Black Velvetopia) the best parts about them are the exploration and adventure game elements. Never mind the entire motif of exploring the camp and solving crap. I always enjoyed that way more than the platforming.

Jesus, I'm getting myself hyped just thinking about Psychonauts.

Favorite conversation in Psychonauts?

Raz: "Where do you buy your clothes? I was wondering because my sister is really fat and has a hard time finding clothes that fit."

Girl: "WHAA-AT?!"

Easily.

We need you Raz. We need you.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming