Psychonauts 2

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Psychonauts 2

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:25 am

I'd love to invest in something like this (Not this game since I think it wouldn't be the best investment from a business standpoint) but with so much little information on certain things it would be stupid to do so. We don't know simple things like if the game will have a retail or digital release which can impact the sales numbers by quite a bit.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Monkei
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:54 pm

I would like a Full Throttle 2 more, personally, but I'll settle with this. This was Schafer's last game worth a damn, imo.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Calshot » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:25 pm

I'd be hesitant to invest in this considering the whole Kickstarter debacle. Not that I plan on investing, but I'd still feel a lot better if Tim Schafer was kept far from anything having to do with budget and management.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby shredingskin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:14 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: I would like a Full Throttle 2 more, personally, but I'll settle with this. This was Schafer's last game worth a damn, imo.

I don't want to say that you are stealing my thoughts.

But pretty much you did.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby OL » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:22 pm

I'm completely nuts in love with Full Throttle, but it's certainly one of those I kind of never want to see a sequel for. Maybe if it were a sequel just in concept or something it might be fine, but seeing those same characters again would feel nothing but forced to me. Ben riding into the sunset at the end to the music of The Gone Jackals (whose album Bone to Pick I actually still listen to frequently) was just that... the end. Kind of a beautiful one at that, and I don't really want anything to sully it. I guess I'm just really not confident that the same vibe the game put off could be maintained nowadays, twenty years later, even if handled by Schafer himself.

Psychonauts, on the other, had a tone to it that absolutely welcomed some sort of continuation. It always felt like an origin story that was meant to segue into a grander franchise. But Full Throttle... I dunno, it just feels like such a great one-off, and I feel like it should always be left that way.
Also doesn't help that Ben's original voice actor has since passed away.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:08 am

I think they tried some full throttle with brutal legend, but it was such a meh game.

Maybe that's why I want another real.

But seeing how meh was broken age... I actually don't want more games from tim schafer.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:46 am

I liked Brütal Legend and Broken Age a lot. Neved played Full Throttle, so I'd like this to come to fruition someday:

And now that the door to revisit those games has been kicked wide open, Schafer says there's always a chance for more of those classic games to get a similar treatment — like Full Throttle, for example. They're games that Schafer seems more than happy to revisit.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/8/7354949/tim-schafer-day-of-the-tentacle-remastered-ps4-vita-pc
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:37 pm

Earlier this week Psychonauts creator Tim Schafer teased an unannounced project in addition to the Psychonauts sequel that launched its crowdfunding campaign on Thursday. Now that game has been revealed as a Psychonauts spin-off for Sony's PS4 headset PlayStation VR.

Entitled Psychonauts: In the Rhombus of Ruin, this will be "a standalone VR mission for Psychonauts", according to Schafer in a Skype interview with Eurogamer.

Set immediately after the conclusion of the first Psychonauts, In the Rhombus of Ruin follows Raz and the psychonauts as they're tasked with rescuing Lili's kidnapped father, Truman Zanotto.

"It is a VR game and it's going to be [from] Raz's point of view, but he has the ability to jump into people's minds," Schafer explained before adding that Raz will have access to his usual psych powers like telekinesis and pyrokinesis.

"It's definitely a game. It's not just a VR wallpaper," Schafer stated. "Raz's psychic powers lend to a lot of flexibility in the VR world. It's a good fit, I think."

Also since I don't think it's worth making a new thread for:

Tim Schafer's classic biker-based point-and-click adventure Full Throttle is getting an HD remake with Full Throttle Remastered coming to PS4 and Vita.

Double Fine will be in charge of the restoration, just as it's doing with Day of the Tentacle Remastered (also coming to PS4 and Vita).

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby shredingskin » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:04 am

The concept of psychonauts has a lot of place to grow and do something cool, but I have my reservations if schafer has the hability to make a good game anymore.

The documentary of broken age was pretty damn awesome, but the game was bland as fuck (and not what he promised, an old school pnc adventure).

I'm actually passing on this one, maybe if the game is good I'll buy it. And seems like a way to push his own crowdfunding platform (which is what a lot of people were asking, a place to invest).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:55 pm

shredingskin wrote:The documentary of broken age was pretty damn awesome, but the game was bland as fuck (and not what he promised, an old school pnc adventure).

Just being curious - how was it not an old school point and click adventure in your opinion?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:24 pm

The first chapter was almost a browser game (in the genre divition, not platform), no difference between left click and right click to observe/use. Not much of combine objects in inventory or using them in conversations (or conversational puzzles), there's a lot that was missing there. It was designed to be a tablet game.

They used the money to make a new engine while there are a lot of free ones, and now they're using that engine to make their remakes (apparently). So using that money to make their own investments.

EDIT. looking at my posts from DF forum:
- The puzzles lacked coherence, were very few, and not well done.
- Too much hand holding, and hinting at what to do, instead of making you feel intelligent was (look, a key + door = open, wink wink).
- Lack of items.
- Lack of good challenges.
- had very little locations, but backtrack, and it was all the same, they didn't think that through.
- one cut and copy puzzle per location... seemed so scripted, in a bad way.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Monkei
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:23 am

Hmpf, okay. I was happy with it. How do you feel about the new King's Quest (if you've played it)?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:23 pm

Haven't playd those (and any of the quest series). I know that's hard for someone that likes graphic adventures.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:18 pm

86% funded with 22 days to go by the way.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:09 am

phpBB [video]

Wow, that's sick.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Monkei
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist