Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby Thief » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:57 am

It's a shame, because I think that this Zelda and the upcoming Mario game look to be exactly what I've wanted (game-wise) from Nintendo in a long time -- as their first party content hasn't been that great ever since the Wii launched. Maybe they would've been better off releasing these titles for the Wii-U and creating a stronger user base with that console. As it stands right now, I'm definitely getting Breath of the Wild for Wii-U... but I don't know if I ever see myself getting a Switch. It's just too big of a risk to buy a Nintendo console. Switch just looks to be Wii-U 2, both in presentation and likely with a drought of games.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:00 am

Peter wrote:The Sega CEO coming out and saying we are making games for this. Thata fantastic mate, the developer logo on the 3rd party dev image had you covered there, but thanks for showing is yoyr fashion sense. EA come out and say we are making Fifa for this. Wow, hold on until I get my socks back on after firmly being knocked off.

:lol:
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Raithos » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:11 am

I'm so glad that its region free. They put some strange wording in there, but its been confirmed. No more missing out on games like Fatal Frame on Wii-U :(

Zelda, Mario Odyssey (looks great!), Xenoblade 2, SMT, No More Heroes sequel, Square Enix RPG and more. And all of those can be played on my lunch break at work, or on the big screen at home. There's plenty to be excited for.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Jibby » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm going to be negative for a change.
I think it's awful. Not only is it one of the weakest launch title lineups I've ever seen, but it seems they also have to create hype for their new console by showing us old games (Mario Kart 8 'Dulux', Splatoon, Skyrim etc.).

Also 32GB of on board storage? That's a joke! I don't care if you can upgrade it with a Micro SD card; the thing should have a 1TB hard drive at least. 3rd party developers aren't going to like this. Where are all of their patches going to go?

And holy shit, the new Mario game looks like a bad Unreal Engine tech demo!
Tell me that scenes from this trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM

don't look similar to something along the lines of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUKcSiAPJoQ

I'm really disappointed. I doubt we'll see decent 3rd party support outside of the first year and I'm pretty confident this thing's gonna flop.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm not exactly sure what you guys wanted, aside from 3rd parties showing instead of telling.

Look, I want to see a new Metroid game announced more than anyone wants anything, but I didn't expect that for a second. They did pretty much what I thought they would do: detail the console itself, the price, and show off launch window games. I will say that I could have done without the time dedicated to 1-2 Switch, whatever da fuq that was.

If by E3 they are still only showing off games like Xenoblade 2, Super Mario Odyssey and Skyrim, then yeah I will be concerned.

One more thing I will add though, is that this hardware better be at least somewhat comparable to a vanilla Xbone. Otherwise, all of that 3rd party support they've talked up ain't gonna amount to shit.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Jibby wrote: And holy shit, the new Mario game looks like a bad Unreal Engine tech demo!

TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jibby » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:12 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote:
Jibby wrote: And holy shit, the new Mario game looks like a bad Unreal Engine tech demo!

I stand by it. Maybe not every scene, but there are some real bad looking ones.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Jibby wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote:

lol
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jibby » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:16 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote:
Jibby wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote:

lol

I'm glad I gave you a nice chuckle.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Mr357 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Mr357 wrote:More than anything, I think Nintendo will need to take a risk with the pricing if they want to sell enough of these things. No matter how sufficient it is for home gaming, people will see it as a portable device, and expect to pay accordingly. A dime over $300, and they'd be shooting themselves in my opinion.

=D>

Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:35 pm

Jibby wrote:Mario Kart 8 'Dulux'

It's 'Deluxe' of course, but what a missed licensing opportunity for the Splatoon game! :D

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Jibby
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:52 pm

This just shows that they've learnt nothing from the Wii U fuck up.

1-2 Switch
Looks like the Wii Sports/Nintendoland on the console but doesn't need it at all. Watching someone swing the Wii Controller once while playing Wii Tennis or boxing made you get what the Wii was about. This doesn't need explaining with a game, everything you need to explain about the console was summed up in the trailer a couple of months back.

Arms
Looks like a mini game that should have been included in the 1-2 Switch game. It actually shocks me that Nintendo gave up on the Wii U quite awhile ago and they looked around what their teams are making and picked this as one of the games to show off.

Splatoon 2
Cool I guess. Never played the original and can't say I'm interested but a lot of people loved the first game so I'll give them this one.

Mario
Looks amazing. I'll give them this one as well.

Fifa.
The fact that EA seems to only be bringing Fifa and nothing else like Madden is worrying. The EA sport games should be the bare minimum expected for a console.

Square/Atlus RPG's
Dragon Quest is already announced for the PS4 and I'd be willing to bet the other games they showed off here will come to other consoles at some point.

Xenoblade 2
See Splatoon 2.

Sega/Suda
Yeah we had plenty of people from third parties promise to make games for the Wii U at that conference without showing anything as well and we know how that panned out...

Zelda/Mario Kart
Nothing is different enough about those games to make people upgrade from a Wii U.

So for $300 you get a console that is weaker then the consoles released 3 years ago which you could pick up for cheaper with 2 games included. Why would you buy this thing? What is there to play on it? A Zelda game that is coming out on another console and a bunch of other games that have been out on other consoles that most people will already own.

So anyone who owns an Xbox One or PS4 has no reason to get one. Kids? I don't see many parents forking out another $300 when kids nowadays already have iPads they play on in the car. I just don't know who's going to get this outside of the Nintendo loyalists until there is a decent amount of exclusives which at this rate won't be until 2018 at the earliest.

Nintendo loyalists aren't enough anymore to keep a console alive, just look at the Wii U. What I see happening at this point is that the Switch has a shit year overall (First month or two might be good since it was with Wii U) and everyone jumps ship. Fifa won't sell when people will be buying it on the more powerful consoles they already own so EA will not bother past that along with the rest of the third parties outside of the odd exclusive Nintendo pay for.

Well I guess I can look forward to playing Mario Kart on the PS5/Scorpio online with my friends since it'll be on a console people actually own.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Axm
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Jibby » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:06 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Jibby wrote:Mario Kart 8 'Dulux'

It's 'Deluxe' of course, but what a missed licensing opportunity for the Splatoon game! :D

Ahaha, yes that's totally what I meant :-" :-" :-" :oops:
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:28 pm

FACT:
THe switch is the best ever and everyone that says anything else is wrong.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby mrandyk » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Once they gave 'Arms' a spotlight early in the conference I had to ask just what in the hell is going on? I expected so much more. It would have taken so little for me to pull the trigger and preorder one, but literally the only game out there is something I could get for a system I already have. $300 for the system and no game? Once I pick up a game and sales tax is added I'm going to be $400 in the hole. That's insane!

I think the Switch is a good concept. And given just how long Nintendo has had to focus on its launch I thought for sure they would knock it out of the park. What have your developers been doing the past two years? There hasn't been shit released on the Wii U in ages. What a joke. There is no way I'm buying this before 2018 unless they make a reflexive price drop like they did with the 3DS.

Also, paid online? That is a crime given the quality of Nintendo's online service this past decade. Can you imagine if the Wii or Wii U had paid online? I would have been livid if they tried to charge for the opportunity to play one of their six games that actually has online functionalities.

mrandyk has received a thanks from: Axm
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming