Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:36 am

Yeah, having seen both, I can honestly say if you're playing on Wii U, you're not missing much. It's essentially identical other than resolution and a few minute details. Even the Switch version has pop in, frame rate issues, and jaggies. I do wish they had left in the touch screen functionality for Wii U players, though. No reason to remove it imo.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Raithos » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:56 am

Yeah if they would have left the touch screen functions in place I would have eventually bought it on there too. It probably would have made it the better version so they took it out lol. So the portability sold me.

Raithos has received 2 thanks from: Anonymous81, Sonikku
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Yeah I sort of suspect that was the notion behind it lol. By making them virtually identical, the portability becomes the only defining characteristic out of the two versions. (Hey, it worked on me lol.)

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: Raithos
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Sonikku » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:37 pm

I think the cool thing about having the map on the touch screen is that you could opt for "pro" view on your tv and remove all the ui marring the beautiful landscapes, all while still having all your map info on your wii u tablet. It stings to see the kind of disregard Nintendo has for their own damn tablet they billed as the selling point of the damn system. I mean they require the wii u tablet to be on while the system is running even if you use a pro controller, so why not just let us shut it off and save the battery instead of just making it sit there, lit up doing dick all?

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Raithos
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:37 pm

I thought that Nier automata had some weird controls, but looks like the switchcontroller left stick isn't working full range (but it does work correctly in the switch). Maybe I'll need to use some xinput mapper or something.

Apparently it isn't working because it uses directinput and not xinput... So I fucking got a controller for nothing (it kinda works, in Nier only the left stick isn't working, in the witcher it runs kinda badly overall).

EDIT> switch controller and not steam controller.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Raithos » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:10 pm

Sonikku wrote: I think the cool thing about having the map on the touch screen is that you could opt for "pro" view on your tv and remove all the ui marring the beautiful landscapes, all while still having all your map info on your wii u tablet. It stings to see the kind of disregard Nintendo has for their own damn tablet they billed as the selling point of the damn system. I mean they require the wii u tablet to be on while the system is running even if you use a pro controller, so why not just let us shut it off and save the battery instead of just making it sit there, lit up doing dick all?

Yep having the map/inventory in Wind Waker on the gamepad was genius. I don't own that many Wii-U titles but that seems to be a problem with every game I own. So I use that charge cradle and just leave the gamepad docked. I turn the Wii-U on with the pro controller and boot to the menu. If you then hold the home button on the gamepad you can turn the display off and continue using the pro controller to launch the game. You can't completely turn it off for some dumb reason, but at least the LCD won't be lit up. Does it not work like that with Zelda? Unless you meant just the light on the gamepad after turning the screen off lol if so ignore this whole post :D
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:45 am

My second dissapointment with the switch (the first one being the pro controller doesn't really works out of the box with pc).

I bought kof 98 to see if my credit card would work with a french account (it did), and in the title screen had a weird way to "insert coin" and the manual talked about R or (some button that meant the edge of the joycon) and the start button weren't either - or +, so I thought "fucking awesome, I can play 1vs1 with the two joycons", gettin all hyped thinking stuff like "this is the power of the switch" and 10 year old slogans, but no, you need another controller to play.

Also the joycons SUCK for fighting games, almost unplayable (should have gotten metal slug).

A very stupid choice IMO.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:47 am

I don't know what you're doing wrong but each of those Joy Con's work as a separate controller for KoF and all of those Neo Geo games. You can always put them on the grip and with that and the pro have two full size controllers. It works decent enough like that imo. Not as good as two pro's or a fight stick but still. But I agree with the rest lol. I wouldn't play a fighting game with the single Joy Con and you should have bought Metal Slug :D.

Also, why is it a negative against the console if its accessories don't work with your PC? That doesn't make any sense lol. As far as I know (and I could be wrong) that was never a selling point advertised by Nintendo. People just paired it up themselves to check like they do any bluetooth device. First place I saw it was on PC Gamer. If it was advertised then yeah that's a valid complaint no doubt about it.

Raithos has received a thanks from: shredingskin
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:58 am

How do you make each player play with a joycon ??

EDIT> Didn't know you had to configure each joycon in the switch home as standalone.

This is fukken awesome, This is the power of the switch :P

About the pro controller, is a feature both ps4 and xbone have, and all the news say "it works", kinda dissapointed, never said nintendo conned me or anything. And let's agree it's not like asking for an unicorn to suck my dick, it's kinda standard this gen.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Raithos
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:29 am

shredingskin wrote:
gettin all hyped thinking stuff like "this is the power of the switch" and 10 year old slogans, but no, you need another controller to play.

EDIT> Didn't know you had to configure each joycon in the switch home as standalone.

This is fukken awesome, This is the power of the switch :P

Dude my face hurts right now lol was laughing so hard.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:52 am

#-o

:oops: :oops:

In my defence, the snipperclips demo doesn't require that setup, you just choose 2 player mode and it maps it ingame.

Thank you, I was probably gonna never launch it again >.<, pretty little awesome console.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:57 am

Nah i wasn't laughing at you like that, its not self explanatory so its easy to miss. I cracked up at how quick you went from disappointment to being happy :) "This is the power of the switch!" cause its true lol. Metal Slug coop sold a coworker on the Switch. And he's not normally a gamer.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:40 pm

Playing the splatoon 2 beta, pretty fun stuff, the motion controlled aim sucks balls, and I kinda suck, but whatever.

My connection sucks balls, but the experience is smooth as fuck.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:18 pm

Bought world of goo and blaster master zero, I'm really loving my switch (even that 10 dls for "new old game" seems a little expensive). The kinda thing like I got with ds and dreamcast before that. I really hope nintendo can keep the system alive and well, ]not just relying on a couple of first part exclusives per year and shovelware.

Sadly I think my pro controller is fucked, from time to time if I tap slightly on a direction it'll revert back to the opposite direction (like if the deadzone isn't registering properly), is barely noticeable, but on blaster master that you need to keep on a direction stable when you are not moving is quite frustrating.

I tried configuring it with the switch, and tried to go back to factory settings and still behaves shittily.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:17 pm

BioShock's Ken Levine, Rez and Galak-Z's Jake Kazdal, The Walking Dead and Firewatch's Jake Rodkin, and Battleborn and ArenaNet's Aaron Linde share their thoughts on Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and what stands out from a developer's perspective.

phpBB [video]

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming