Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby shredingskin » Mon May 08, 2017 8:50 pm

Just finished downloading MK8 (mostly because I squeezed almost all out of blaster master, world of goo didn't reel me in and I just really like the switch), for now it seems incredibly bland, the graphics are really pretty, but for a single player experience it lacks A LOT (specially since everything is unlocked from the beginning).

Like most games have a fucking career bullshit, even sega all stars have a better single player. This is "THE BEST MARIO KART EVER MADE" ?? I'm not really a fan of the series (actually it's my first time playing it), but overall I'm not impressed at all.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Sonikku » Mon May 08, 2017 10:03 pm

I think it's intended to be more of a multiplayer party game than a single player game.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Tue May 09, 2017 11:33 am

Yes it is, but I was kinda offput by how little thought was put into the single player.

I guess every racer is the same, but at least mask it a little, do some challenges or whatever to make it feel less "well just play around".
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo Switch

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue May 09, 2017 11:58 am

shredingskin wrote:Just finished downloading MK8 (mostly because I squeezed almost all out of blaster master, world of goo didn't reel me in and I just really like the switch), for now it seems incredibly bland, the graphics are really pretty, but for a single player experience it lacks A LOT (specially since everything is unlocked from the beginning).

Like most games have a fucking career bullshit, even sega all stars have a better single player. This is "THE BEST MARIO KART EVER MADE" ?? I'm not really a fan of the series (actually it's my first time playing it), but overall I'm not impressed at all.

Umm, you should play the original on Wii U then. You have to unlock everything through single player on that one. MK8D is meant to be the definitive edition, and Nintendo probably figured that the 9 million people who bought the original version aren't going to want to have to unlock everything again. Just jump right into the multiplayer. LOL at you judging the game based on that.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Nintendo Switch

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue May 09, 2017 12:03 pm

And besides, there are single player challenges. There are time trials, ghost races, and getting gold in Grand Prix on all cups in the highest CCs. You do still unlock stuff by doing those.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Tue May 09, 2017 12:34 pm

If by challenges you mean "race 4 circuits in a row", yes there are challenges.

Most of racing games have some sort of career mode, look at sega all stars, a minimap, a progression, it even has some boss battles. I know at the core it will always be the same "try to get first", but at least put try to make it look like you put some effort in there.

They could obviously done it better.

I knew this was a party game, but since the critics are all around the 90s I thought there would be something more to the single player.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Tue May 09, 2017 3:11 pm

Gameplay is near identical to the Wii U version, just with everything unlocked on the Switch. Its getting high scores because of the game play, which is the best in the series. But MK has never really pushed the envelope as far as SP modes. Just circuit races at different difficulties.

While I do agree its a great game, I still think Sonic All-Stars Transformed is an all around better title. There's just more to it than any other kart racer and its extremely fun. Up until MK8 it had what I considered the best mechanics as well. But not anymore. The actual racing in MK8 is top notch and that's really what its all about.

I can see how not having played any previous titles, having everything unlocked, and wanting a Transformed SP mode can make it seem like a letdown though.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue May 09, 2017 4:55 pm

shredingskin wrote:If by challenges you mean "race 4 circuits in a row", yes there are challenges.

Most of racing games have some sort of career mode, look at sega all stars, a minimap, a progression, it even has some boss battles. I know at the core it will always be the same "try to get first", but at least put try to make it look like you put some effort in there.

They could obviously done it better.

I knew this was a party game, but since the critics are all around the 90s I thought there would be something more to the single player.

Grand Prix is quintessential Mario Kart. You're bitching because you don't have an Adventure mode ala Diddy Kong Racing in a racing game.

You set yourself up for disappointment.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Coromasta » Tue May 09, 2017 5:41 pm

I walked into a local gameshop to get some xbox og games(10 for 10 bucks) and they had switch on display, now I do have big hands but damn those joycons are small.
Definitely gonna get the pro controller when I'll get it end of the year.
I'm gonna put it under the tv in the living room since my to be wife is really diging puyo puyo tetris and mk8, plus I can easily take it on the couch while she is watching tv or something.

Also, planning the layout of my game room in my new house. I'm going to get a store display case for shenmue and my most treasured games, the rest will be on ikea like shelves.
Now one more headache is how to hook all 21 systems up on 2 tv's all ready to play with room for expansion (still looking for a 3do and a Japanese dreamcast)
Fun times ahead!
Coromasta
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: coromasta
XBL: coromasta91
Nintendo FC: coromasta
Steam: coromasta

Postby BigTuna » Tue May 09, 2017 8:53 pm

Been hooked on my Switch for a few weeks now. It's a cool little console. Love how easy it is to take on the go. Though I'm getting a bit burnt out with only playing Blaster Master and Zelda. Both are incredible, don't get me wrong. But nothing else that's out really interests me so far. Mario Kart 8 is fun. But I played the hell outta that already 2 years ago. Don't see the need to buy it again, personally. At least not at this time.

I just wish we had like Syberia 3 or even Yooka-Laylee! already to hold us (me) over. Hopefully when E3 rolls around they'll announce some dates.
BigTuna

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby shredingskin » Wed May 10, 2017 4:07 am

I'm starting to get into MK8 (I didn't even know about dashing), even though I still suck balls (I get cucked hard on 200cc).

Still, no matter what friedrice says single player is still barebones (while the game has quite a bit of content).

Another thing I was thinking:
Is the approach that nintendo is taking with spacing out their games a good marketing strategy for more casual gamers ?
Like most people play a couple of hours a week, so having one game last a month is not such a big deal, and when they get bored they immediatly know what's the new "hot game". Probably making the high attach ratio that the NS has.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Mon May 15, 2017 9:41 am

shredingskin wrote: The thing I'm most afraid about switch is something similar to what happened to wii, that most non first party "good games" were sold at full price when those would be digital only in the other platforms.

For example street fighter ultra is going to be 40 bucks, for what basically is the same as the 2008 game with a couple of extras (and that was like 10 bucks digital only almost 10 years ago !).

Like really, any of you would pay 50 bucks for fucking bomberman in any other console ? Or the binding of isaac for 40 ??
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Thu May 18, 2017 7:23 am

Looking at it from perspective, despite a lot of killbuzz at launch, the switch has planned one of the best year one lineups in years (on par with the DC).

Zelda, MK8, ARMS, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey ?

That's pretty ridiculous right there.

EDIT: Xenoblade 2 is also scheduled for 2017 ??? that's damn sick.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Thu May 18, 2017 7:30 am

phpBB [video]

I never had an urge to play the first game, but looking at this trailer it strangely gave me vibes of a Jet Set Radio. I'm liking where this is going so far.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kintor » Thu May 18, 2017 7:45 am

shredingskin wrote: Looking at it from perspective, despite a lot of killbuzz at launch, the switch has planned one of the best year one lineups in years (on par with the DC).

Zelda, MK8, ARMS, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey ?

That's pretty ridiculous right there.

EDIT: Xenoblade 2 is also scheduled for 2017 ??? that's damn sick.

You're kidding right? Six games for the whole year and you think that it can beat the Dreamcast? Don't be ridiculous.

When the Dreamcast launched in the US on the 9/9/99 it had 19 games day one. That's more than three times the content that the Switch will see in all of 2017. The Switch is never going to match the quality of the Dreamcast's library because Nintendo can't solve their lack of third party support problem.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming