Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Thu May 18, 2017 3:20 pm

Kintor wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote: Here's the thing: If you have a steady stream of releases, it doesn't matter if it's 3rd party or not. Games are games.

Tell that to Nintendo and their constantly shrinking market share. A console needs strong third-party support to be successful. Because the Switch doesn't have a steady stream of games, only a handful of Nintendo titles released in between huge droughts. It's no wonder Nintendo is always in third place.

sand4fish wrote:Not discrediting how amazing the Dreamcast was, but your argument of single one day release of 19 launch titles is a bit misleading as the Dreamcast was actually on the market for almost an entire year before hitting NA. Only four games were actually available during the Dreamcast's day one launch, of which only Virtua Fighter 3tb was of note and still none of the titles released during its first year had the same impact Breath of the Wild alone had. So Shredingskin is not really off on his statement at all.

I honestly gave the Switch as much leniency as possible; by talking only about launch games for the Dreamcast, as opposed to the Switch when I’ve charitable considered its whole meagre 2017 line-up. A truly fair comparison, year 1 of the Dreamcast compared to year 1 of the Switch would make things ever more unbalanced. There is no doubt that the Dreamcast's library would outright crush the Switch. In that scenario I probably wouldn't even have to mention any of Sega's games to do so. The strength of the Dreamcast's third-party support (even without EA) is more than enough to run circles around the Switch.

We were talking about the Switch's first year lineup. Now you're moving the goalposts.

Obviously, the Switch is going to need 3rd party support. Any other groundbreaking analysis you'd like to share?
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Kintor » Thu May 18, 2017 11:21 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote: We were talking about the Switch's first year lineup. Now you're moving the goalposts.

Obviously, the Switch is going to need 3rd party support. Any other groundbreaking analysis you'd like to share?

I'm talking about the Switch's first year line-up as well - by pointing out how it's a complete joke. It's far too late to start worrying about somehow finding third-party, that's a problem that Nintendo should have solved before launch. Of course, the common excuse in the final years of the Wii U was that Nintendo was secretly amassing a huge library of games for the Switch's launch but that never actually happened. The Switch has the same games droughts as its predecessors.

shredingskin wrote: Switch after 3 months will have 52... (and at the end of the year 9 months in will have those 6 pretty strong exclusives

Most of those '52' aren't even retail games but a handful of Indy ports that Nintendo has bankrolled to appear on the system. Other publishers like Sony and Microsoft don't even count them as full games in their line-up, but rather something extra for people who want to buy smaller digital games alongside everything else those consoles have to offer. It truly is a sign of desperation that Nintendo has been reduced to calling upon such small games to try and hide their lack of third-party support.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Thu May 18, 2017 11:29 pm

Kintor wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote: We were talking about the Switch's first year lineup. Now you're moving the goalposts.

I'm talking about the Switch's first year line-up as well - by pointing out how it's a complete joke. It's far too late to start worrying about somehow finding third-party, that's a problem that Nintendo should have solved before launch. Of course, the common excuse in the final years of the Wii U was that Nintendo was secretly amassing a huge library of games for the Switch's launch but that never actually happened. The Switch has the same games droughts as its predecessors.

shredingskin wrote: Switch after 3 months will have 52... (and at the end of the year 9 months in will have those 6 pretty strong exclusives

Most of those '52' aren't even retail games but a handful of Indy ports that Nintendo has bankrolled to appear on the system. Other publishers like Sony and Microsoft don't even count them as full games in their line-up, but rather something extra for people who want to buy smaller digital games alongside everything else those consoles have to offer. It truly is a sign of desperation that Nintendo has been reduced to calling upon such small games to try and hide their lack of third-party support.

It's not a complete joke though. What droughts are you talking about? The system has been out for 2 1/2 months and there haven't been any droughts.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Fri May 19, 2017 12:05 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote: It's not a complete joke though. What droughts are you talking about? The system has been out for 2 1/2 months and there haven't been any droughts.

You've been in a drought since day one. When the only notable game at launch was Zelda, an upscaled game originally designed for the Wii U. Which is great if you like Zelda but if not there frankly isn't much point in buying a Switch. This severe lack of games is frankly unacceptable. Even Atari would've looked like idiots had they tried to sell a new console with just one notable game at launch.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri May 19, 2017 12:21 am

Kintor wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote: It's not a complete joke though. What droughts are you talking about? The system has been out for 2 1/2 months and there haven't been any droughts.

You've been in a drought since day one. When the only notable game at launch was Zelda, an upscaled game originally designed for the Wii U. Which is great if you like Zelda but if not there frankly isn't much point in buying a Switch. This severe lack of games is frankly unacceptable. Even Atari would've looked like idiots had they tried to sell a new console with just one notable game at launch.

It's clear that you don't know what you're talking about. Switch has gotten a steady stream of games since day 1, with a few AAA releases.

And day 1 there was Zelda, Bomberman, I Am Setsuna, Snipperclips, Fast Racing Neo and the Spectre Knight timed exclusive. All five of those are quality titles. Not everything has to be AAA.

And what did the PS4 launch with, again? Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed? Yeah, it had a good launch though.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Fri May 19, 2017 1:08 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote:And day 1 there was Zelda, Bomberman, I Am Setsuna, Snipperclips, Fast Racing Neo and the Spectre Knight timed exclusive. All five of those are quality titles. Not everything has to be AAA.

The fact that you have to nominate I Am Setsuna as a notable launch title is really part of the problem. To be blunt, a port of I Am Setsuna is not something that Nintendo should be proud about unless they had no other choice. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine game but it's still a small digital Indy title from 2016. Getting an Indy port a year after release and calling it a notable launch title is an utter joke.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri May 19, 2017 1:12 am

Kintor wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote:And day 1 there was Zelda, Bomberman, I Am Setsuna, Snipperclips, Fast Racing Neo and the Spectre Knight timed exclusive. All five of those are quality titles. Not everything has to be AAA.

The fact that you have to nominate I Am Setsuna as a notable launch title is really part of the problem. To be blunt, a port of I Am Setsuna is not something that Nintendo should be proud about unless they had no other choice. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine game but it's still a small digital Indy title from 2016. Getting an Indy port a year after release and calling it a notable launch title is an utter joke.

I didn't have to, but I did. Every game counts. You're doing a terrible job of arguing that the Switch has no games, simply because you choose to ignore facts.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Fri May 19, 2017 4:25 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote: I didn't have to, but I did. Every game counts. You're doing a terrible job of arguing that the Switch has no games, simply because you choose to ignore facts.

Not all games are created equal, especially when the game in question is just an Indy port already available on other platforms nearly a year earlier then the Switch version. Counting a port of I Am Setsuna as a notable success for Nintendo is just bottom of the barrel stuff. The fact is that the Switch has few games, due to Nintendo's chronic lack of third-party support and that's not going to improve.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Coromasta » Fri May 19, 2017 6:02 am

Unless they keep selling consoles, then 3rd party publishers will want to get in on the action.
But to sell consoles they need games and lots of them, so they're in a pinch like kintor says.
Coromasta
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: coromasta
XBL: coromasta91
Nintendo FC: coromasta
Steam: coromasta
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Raithos » Fri May 19, 2017 9:14 am

TwiceFriedRice, I would just stop wasting your time on the guy. Obvious fanboy who has zero clue what he's talking about.

edit: removed my big rant lol
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Nintendo Switch

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri May 19, 2017 1:12 pm

Kintor wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote: I didn't have to, but I did. Every game counts. You're doing a terrible job of arguing that the Switch has no games, simply because you choose to ignore facts.

Not all games are created equal, especially when the game in question is just an Indy port already available on other platforms nearly a year earlier then the Switch version. Counting a port of I Am Setsuna as a notable success for Nintendo is just bottom of the barrel stuff. The fact is that the Switch has few games, due to Nintendo's chronic lack of third-party support and that's not going to improve.

But good games are good games. No one is saying that the Switch is the SNES or the PS1 in terms of library (it's only been out for 2 months, how could it be?), but to say that it has nothing to play is objectively false.

It's going to need stronger 3rd party support if it's going to succeed long term, and that will happen if it keeps selling like it has been out of the gate. But, right now and at least until the end of the calendar year, it's got a nice selection of games on the way even without major 3rd party backing.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Fri May 19, 2017 1:59 pm

Nintendo has not dumped so many first party games in a consoles first year since SNES. 3rd party is mainly a lot of smaller titles. Some proven indie stuff or proven games/franchises on other platforms and a few original games. It's also a handheld from Nintendo so it's bound to get pretty good Japanese support. Western support...eh we shall see. This is not going to be pocket PS4 with huge AAA games unless they can sell and be ported well enough. Mainly Switch is going to get the kind of games we see Vita getting. A lot of indies and niche Japanese games. That's fine. It's a different machine than XBO or PS4. I don't know why people expect it to get Battlefield or Fallout or whatever AAA game in their head. It's still a great little machine with some punch.

Unreal 4 games take a single button press to get working on Switch. After that some optimization and for Snake Pass took a single week. The API is OpenGL & Vulkan compat. So it is a developer friendly system. It has potential but it's too early to call this thing a success or failure in anyway. ATM things are looking up. Nintendo may have another Wii but they can still easily screw this up with their historically bad advertising last decade or so. They are often clueless on 3rd parties but Capcom did tell them to put more ram in it and they listened. The API isn't GX so that is a huge plus. So they are listening and learning. They are still far from Sony's level. I am not getting a Switch yet as there is not enough there yet. I see some good stuff on the horizon but atm PS4 is so awesome for me there is no rush. I tried to avoid this topic given my history and Nintendo posting in years past is kinda embarrassing.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby sand4fish » Fri May 19, 2017 2:01 pm

Kintor wrote: Not all games are created equal, especially when the game in question is just an Indy port already available on other platforms nearly a year earlier then the Switch version. Counting a port of I Am Setsuna as a notable success for Nintendo is just bottom of the barrel stuff. The fact is that the Switch has few games, due to Nintendo's chronic lack of third-party support and that's not going to improve.

Are you for real? When others proved that the Switch already have more titles in its 2 months old life than what the Dreamcast had for its entire first year you discredit them for the games not being on retail? We are supposed to be living in the digital era and not having to leave the couch to start playing games! And how having ports available on other platforms is not freaking third-party support?

Please give us numbers or facts that the Switch is doing poorly and that will not be third-party support for it for you claim that its library will not improve, otherwise this is a pointless rant.

Seriously, did Nintendo murder your family or embarrassed you in public for you behave like this?
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Raithos » Fri May 19, 2017 2:19 pm

He's also ignoring the fact the system is the fastest selling in Nintendo's history and that two of the games released so far have shattered franchise sales records. Both BotW and MK8 Deluxe are the fastest selling entries in both series. Its ludicrous to think 3rd party company's haven't taken notice. Plenty of support has already been announced (some available) with more on the way. This is not the Wii-U 2.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/06/the ... o-history/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2 ... 672ab45ae5

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... unch_sales

Raithos has received a thanks from: sand4fish
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Kintor » Sat May 20, 2017 12:39 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote: But good games are good games. No one is saying that the Switch is the SNES or the PS1 in terms of library (it's only been out for 2 months, how could it be?), but to say that it has nothing to play is objectively false.

It's going to need stronger 3rd party support if it's going to succeed long term, and that will happen if it keeps selling like it has been out of the gate. But, right now and at least until the end of the calendar year, it's got a nice selection of games on the way even without major 3rd party backing.

Unfortunately the gaming public doesn't see things that way, especially when they've seen many of the Switch's games elsewhere before on other consoles. I mean, it's always been something of a rip-off how Nintendo rarely discounts their games, in contrast to every other publisher on the planet that regularly and incremental reduces the prices of their games after launch. It's as Nintendo doesn't believe the value of games depreciates with time, which has no doubt lead to their current third-party problems. A constant supply of new content is needed to maintain interest in a console; Nintendo's own first-party output has never been able to keep up with demand, that's why third-party support is desperately needed by the Switch if it wants to survive.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming