Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby shredingskin » Sun May 21, 2017 5:01 pm

Kintor wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote: All that it means is that their games have legs. Their games remain at full price (physically, they do digital sales all of the time), because people are still willing to buy them at full price three years later. Whether I agree with it or not, it's business.

It has absolutely no correlation with their philosophy of release schedule. Nintendo releases 10-20 games a year across both of their platforms. That's far more than any other AAA developer/publisher. Your theory that Nintendo doesn't care about a strong library for their system is completely illogical in the first place, but is made even more laughable by that fact.

The fact is that Nintendo consoles lack third-party support. Now many conversations just leave it at that, as one of the constants of the universe: water is wet, the sun is hot, Nintendo doesn't have many third-party games to support their hardware. However, it's worth discussing Nintendo's mentality as a company to discover how this unfortunate situation has evolved over time.

Because when you get right down to it Nintendo is a strange company: Nintendo regularly askew technological innovation by avoid online gaming and sticking with cartridges longer than anyone else. Nintendo doesn't reduce the price of their games even when discounts would ultimately yield greater profits. Nintendo under-produces product lines, leading to consumer frustration and scalpers profiting from the lack of supply.

The lack of third-party support is also related to these bizarre business practises. A lack of standard technology like CDs and online infrastructure pushed away third-party developers. Expensive games stalls the grow of Nintendo’s user base, again pushing away third-party developers. While the general frustration caused by Nintendo’s apparent supply chain problems means that few third-party developers want to waste their time with Nintendo when they’re no guarantee Nintendo hardware will even be on store shelves where and when it’s needed.

We all know the switch is the best thing ever created by mankind, don't sweat it.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Bluecast » Sun May 21, 2017 6:42 pm

Raithos wrote: ^ This was on Reddit (can't find the thread right now) and several known developers confirmed that this data is pretty much spot on. Carts and Blurays cost more than $2.50 and $2.00 to make. Roughly 15% is licencing fees (lowest tiers) the rest is actual manufacturing costs.

Just look at games like Rime and Puyo Puyo Tetris for Switch vs the PS4 versions. The developers of Rime have publicly talked about how it is costing them almost $10 more a piece to release a game on Switch (using the higher memory cart, most modern titles will have to) than it does on PS4. Thus the price difference at retail. The difference is a lot more than fifty cents.

https://miketendo64.com/2017/05/13/edit ... u-3ds-wii/

Thank you. That does make a difference. Info I was going on was before launch but guess that may have been a rumor. My bad.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Kintor » Sun May 21, 2017 9:57 pm

shredingskin wrote: We all know the switch is the best thing ever created by mankind, don't sweat it.

I know that you're attempting sarcasm here, instead of responding to any of the post I've made to you with a reasoned argument. Even so, you should probably take a look at the Switch and think about why it exists at all. Making a dedicated handheld console like the Switch in 2017 is a high risk idea. The exponential growth of the mobile gaming market has really eroded Nintendo importance to handheld gaming in recent years, when even a mid-range smartphone today can usually exceed Dreamcast level power. That's a tough sell for Nintendo to beat, when the all-in-one smartphone is commonly regarded as an essential purchase while a handheld console is not. If anything, the Switch is more a test for Nintendo to see if they avoid going the way of Kodak and dedicated handheld cameras.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Fri May 26, 2017 5:11 am

I've done 119 shrines, I need to get a blood moon to get the last one, and FUCK ME I've spent like 3 in game months and it doesn't trigger.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Fri May 26, 2017 11:41 pm

At fucking last I got the last shrine.

Time to let Zelda take a vacation till the dlcs pop up.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Raithos
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonikku » Sat May 27, 2017 2:17 am

shredingskin wrote: At fucking last I got the last shrine.

Time to let Zelda take a vacation till the dlcs pop up.

But did you get all the SEEDS?! You have truly beaten BoTW until you get the yellow poo.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Nintendo Switch

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Sat May 27, 2017 2:44 am

Y'all try out the Arms Global Test Punch yet?

I didn't think I'd like the game, but holy crap is it fun. Might be a day 1 buy if Nintendo gets their shitty online fixed.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby shredingskin » Sat May 27, 2017 3:29 am

I just managed to play only one game vs the cpu (the test one) before the time ended.

It was quite enjoyable, even most of the time I was just random punching, I needed some adjustment to the controls, also the camera angle made me focus too much on my player and not that much on the oponent.

But seems quite solid, and a nice use of the joycons (the vibration worked pretty well in this game, but calling it HD rumble seems just a marketing move, it's pretty much the same just a little bit more fine tuned).

BTW: I'm just really waiting for another single player game for the switch (that's not a +100 hours grindfest like disgaea). Xenoblade 2 and mario Odyssey should arrive this year. I don't think I'll spend 60 bucks on a mostly multiplayer game (maybe splatoon 2 will have a good enough single player campaign).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Sat May 27, 2017 3:50 am

shredingskin wrote: I've done 119 shrines, I need to get a blood moon to get the last one, and FUCK ME I've spent like 3 in game months and it doesn't trigger.

You've waited several days before posting in this thread again but you still haven't made any effort to respond to the post that I've made. Least of all, you've never acknowledged how the Switch really doesn't have a place in today's market thanks to the rise of smartphone gaming.

Anyway, in the latest news it looks like Nintendo is getting a lot of negative press because of their replacement docks:

Nintendo is charging $90 US for a cheap hunk of plastic and a flimsy circuit board with some DRM, to prevent third-party manufacturers undercutting Nintendo. But I suppose with Nintendo’s dwindling market share they must feel the need to gouge their customers at every opportunity.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Sat May 27, 2017 4:09 am

Man, I actually don't read your posts, you're just a fanboy, but ok, just once.

- What's the market of the switch ? People who want a powerful enough dedicated console/portable with multiplayer posibilities right out of the box.

- About smartphones ? Have a look at the Switch library in 5 months, and like 4 years of cellphones, people just don't really make hardcore games for phones, that's pretty much it (and if you want to play you have to use an external controller). Maybe that will change with phoneVR, but who would call a headset + joysticks "portable" ?

- Nintendo have had their fair share of problems with third parties (and consoles flooded with shovelware), will the switch change that ? Who the fuck knows, the market is the one that ends up speaking, and it looks like the switch it's the new hot thing and the game attach ratio for now seems pretty high. Also the hardware it's quite compatible with newer releases, so porting should not be that much of a problem.

At the end of the day, I'm actually really liking the Switch, when they announced it seemed some sort of weird tablet thing, neither portable nor a full fledged console, but I bought into the hype, and I'm loving it. There's not much to it. Nintendo it's pretty much the best all-around developer there is to this day, if they keep the momentum, at least it will have a bunch of really good games.

I don;t know if Nintendo touched you in your sleep, but really calm your tits, don't know what's your problem.
It's a neat console, and most importantly it's a fucking new concept in the industry that +10 years consoles have been just a lowgrade pc with paid exclusive games. If you really want to talk about "what is the place for X" you should ask pretty much anything else but the switch.

shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Sat May 27, 2017 5:59 am

shredingskin wrote: - What's the market of the switch ? People who want a powerful enough dedicated console/portable with multiplayer posibilities right out of the box.

- About smartphones ? Have a look at the Switch library in 5 months, and like 4 years of cellphones, people just don't really make hardcore games for phones, that's pretty much it (and if you want to play you have to use an external controller). Maybe that will change with phoneVR, but who would call a headset + joysticks "portable" ?

- Nintendo have had their fair share of problems with third parties (and consoles flooded with shovelware), will the switch change that ? Who the fuck knows, the market is the one that ends up speaking, and it looks like the switch it's the new hot thing and the game attach ratio for now seems pretty high. Also the hardware it's quite compatible with newer releases, so porting should not be that much of a problem.

There was a time when mobile gaming couldn't compete with a dedicated handheld. Even something ambitious like the hybrid phone/game handheld Nokia N-Gage was a joke, seeing as how you had to remove the battery in order to change game cartridges. Yet that all changed in 2007 with the release of the first iPhone. In the decade that passed since that day the power of smartphones has increased exponentially, eating away at any advantage handheld consoles once had.

Now you can find just about every genre of game imaginable on smartphones. This includes well-made ports of RPGs, such as Final Fantasy Tactics and even Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. The reality of mobile gaming is that people are willing to play for longer experiences, as something they can pick-up and play in a spare moment while on the ago, seeing those mobile RPGs (ports or brand new experiences) as something they will invest a lot of time in. That's the convenience of the smartphone, integrating the capabilities of other devices and then rendering those same devices obsolete.

To that end, the existence of the Nintendo Switch is really something of an anomaly at this point. The Switch itself is far too big to fit into someone's pocket like a smartphone. While on the other hand the Switch lacks the utility and multimedia functionality of a tablet PC. Plus, the Switch itself is an extra luxury purchase, something of debatable worth in any budget; while many today regard smartphones as an essentially piece of technology they have to own, even before a house or car. Nintendo can't compete with that kind of shift in the market, making the Switch something of a quaint machine increasingly out of touch with how people use technology today.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Sat May 27, 2017 6:26 am

It's fucking simple enough, I have a couple of point n click adventures on my cellphone while it can run most games. Why ? because gaming with a cellphone sucks. The screens are too small, touchscreen sucks for playing and 1/3 of the screen is covered by your fingers.

Talking about out of touch?:
Smartphones have been more powerful than portables since the ds, but the ds was a hit and still has a better library of games than 10 years worth of cellphone games.
People carry around tablets that do NOTHING different from a smartphone and are bigger than a switch.
Companies found that investing money in big games for cellphones isn't a good strategy, and making casual games with in app purchases isfar more redituable with a lot less investment.
Guess what ? most people use PCs to do the shit they do in their cellphone, but still have PCs.
Weirdly enough in places like japan where the smartphones have replaced computers, people still buy portable consoles.

And you talk about being out of touch ?

Like it or not, you asking what place does the switch occupy is stupid when there are 2 consoles that do the same as a pc but badly while the switch is the only unique of the bunch.

The media shit is coming to switch, and I do miss it (probably because they rushed the launch).

I also thought the size was in a weird place, but just try it, it's comfortable as fuck. It's not something that you carry around all day, it's something you can carry if you know you'll have enough time to play (travel/social gathering) not something that you take out for 5 minutes of entertainment (like a phone game).

EDIT: last response till you calm your tits or buy a bra.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Sat May 27, 2017 9:11 am

I got a good time with arms, I'm actually sweating.

Pretty neat game, but I didn't really got into the flow of minmin and helix.

1vs1vs1 is seriously flawed, it's always 2vs1 or one waiting it out and then getting the glory kill 2vs2 works fine and 1vs1vs1vs1 is also pretty good. But the best is 1vs1, having to target each character individually makes it counterintuitive for more.

I didn't understand volley, I just won one and by pure luck.

It's quite a neat game, but you need some concentration to not just start flailing around. I had fun even if I was just hoping to land punches while jumping around like an idiot.

I just wish I was in my home so I could play it in the tv.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Sat May 27, 2017 9:30 am

shredingskin wrote: It's fucking simple enough, I have a couple of point n click adventures on my cellphone while it can run most games. Why ? because gaming with a cellphone sucks. The screens are too small, touchscreen sucks for playing and 1/3 of the screen is covered by your fingers.

Talking about out of touch?:
Smartphones have been more powerful than portables since the ds, but the ds was a hit and still has a better library of games than 10 years worth of cellphone games.
People carry around tablets that do NOTHING different from a smartphone and are bigger than a switch.
Companies found that investing money in big games for cellphones isn't a good strategy, and making casual games with in app purchases isfar more redituable with a lot less investment.
Guess what ? most people use PCs to do the shit they do in their cellphone, but still have PCs.
Weirdly enough in places like japan where the smartphones have replaced computers, people still buy portable consoles

And you talk about being out of touch ?

Like it or not, you asking what place does the switch occupy is stupid when there are 2 consoles that do the same as a pc but badly while the switch is the only unique of the bunch.

The media shit is coming to switch, and I do miss it (probably because they rushed the launch).

I also thought the size was in a weird place, but just try it, it's comfortable as fuck. It's not something that you carry around all day, it's something you can carry if you know you'll have enough time to play (travel/social gathering) not something that you take out for 5 minutes of entertainment (like a phone game).

Personally, I own a Galaxy Note 4; it's a couple of years old now but still one of the more powerful smartphones available today. Beyond that the Note 4 is significant because of its larger screen, at 5.7 inches outputting in Super AMOLED HD. Even three years after release it's still a better screen then what Nintendo included in the Switch and I don't have to worry about any ill-conceived plastic dock scratching the screen either.

In terms of gameplay my fingers have never blocked essentially information on screen. Even ports of games like Sonic CD or Metal Slug, that require virtual controls on screen, don't impede the gameplay experience. Of course, if you want more precision there is a variety of Bluetooth controllers. I use a MOGA Pro controller on occasion, which I mainly got for use with the Note 4's prototype Gear VR headset. Plus, in turn based games I can always rely upon my Note 4's built-in stylish, since my phone is technically a hybrid 'phablet', part smartphone and part tablet PC.

Buying games for the Note 4 is a natural extension of my phones functionally. I have a ton of arcade style games but also a few longer games including RPGs (like the aforementioned Final Fantasy Tactics) for times when I was travelling on long journeys away from home. I can bring and play my smartphone anywhere, look around any city in the world and you will find people everyone looking at their smartphones, could be work or it could be social media or it could be games, no is going to judge since they're all doing the same things.

That's a level of influence that Nintendo will never achieve with the Switch. Bringing out a Switch in a public place is an oddity, drawing unfortunate scrutiny and at worst scorn. The Switch has no place in society, a fact that will be more apparent with each passing year as smartphone use becomes further entrenched in the population.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Sat May 27, 2017 9:50 am

Yup, I'm an idiot for playing good games on a good console with good controls instead of playing on a little screen freemium games on a touch screen. You really got me there... Not only that, people don't judge you ! How could I be so deluded !

Have you grabbed a switch at least ? Have tried playing 1vs1 with the joycons ? Go and try it somewhere, it's just a neat console with a unique concept.

shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming