Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby Telekill » Sat May 27, 2017 10:47 am

I got my Switch at launch with Zelda but kept it hidden away until Mario Kart 8 released. It's the new family system. I waited for Mario Kart so that we could play 4 player right out of the box (bought 2 pro controllers) as a family and so the kids felt it was just as much their system instead of them just watching me play Zelda all the time.

Made a great day of the kids following clues around town. Each clue was in a 2" paper craft Mario Item box. We went to places like the park, McDonalds, their dance studio, ice cream parlor, etc. Eventually the clues led back to home where there was a 14" box made to look like a Mario Item box. Inside was the Switch, all the accessories, Zelda and Mario Kart. Great fun.

Now that the newness has worn off, I'm looking ahead to see what's going to be released and Nintendo is pretty tight lipped about that. Mario Odyssey will end up on the list to buy for this Christmas probably, but other than that, the system is looking pretty bleak on releases for the foreseeable future. At least as my tastes are concerned. I'm hoping for some big E3 reveals such as F-Zero, Smash Bros, or Zelda Four Swords type game. Some fun family couch coop stuff.

Telekill has received a thanks from: Coromasta
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Coromasta » Sat May 27, 2017 10:55 am

You seem to be a very fun parent!
Coromasta
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: coromasta
XBL: coromasta91
Nintendo FC: coromasta
Steam: coromasta
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Telekill » Sat May 27, 2017 11:06 am

Coromasta wrote: You seem to be a very fun parent!

Thank you.

Their reaction was great. Luckily, McDonald's even had Nintendo toys in their happy meals. I had Yoshi plushes holding three of the clues (one for each kid). The trick was getting my 10 and 4 year olds to work together. My third kiddo is only 9 months old so he'll enjoy the Switch down the road.

Telekill has received a thanks from: Coromasta
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mrandyk » Sat May 27, 2017 2:19 pm

I'm late, but I've learned Mario Kart 8 is a horrible game to play without anyone in the same room as you. Single player is so lacking and incredibly easy (got gold on a 200cc circuit on the first try) and online is no fun at all. It's great when you're in the same room as someone and ruin their day with some stupid item, but it's nothing but annoying when it happens while playing alone. And it happens constantly. Way more than it ever should in an attempt to put everyone, no matter how skilled or inept, on the same level. Give me the option for a more serious mode where this is put back to where it was at the beginning of the series.

Mario Kart used to be something I could enjoy playing alone (up through Mario Kart DS), but now playing it alone feels about as empty as playing Mario Party on your own.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Telekill » Sat May 27, 2017 3:18 pm

mrandyk wrote: I'm late, but I've learned Mario Kart 8 is a horrible game to play without anyone in the same room as you. Single player is so lacking and incredibly easy (got gold on a 200cc circuit on the first try) and online is no fun at all. It's great when you're in the same room as someone and ruin their day with some stupid item, but it's nothing but annoying when it happens while playing alone. And it happens constantly. Way more than it ever should in an attempt to put everyone, no matter how skilled or inept, on the same level. Give me the option for a more serious mode where this is put back to where it was at the beginning of the series.

Mario Kart used to be something I could enjoy playing alone (up through Mario Kart DS), but now playing it alone feels about as empty as playing Mario Party on your own.

Yeah... you don't generally play Mario Kart by yourself unless trying to unlock everything so you have those unlocks ready for couch fun with friends and family. Hell, I remember going into Walmart when the N64 Mario Kart came out and beating it in the store at the kiosk.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Raithos » Sat May 27, 2017 3:56 pm

shredingskin wrote:I don;t know if Nintendo touched you in your sleep, but really calm your tits, don't know what's your problem.

They did, while wearing the mask you see in his avatar. Dude is off his rocker lol. I don't even read his posts anymore. I feel like he wakes up to shit on Nintendo. I love the fact they are doing so well right now and it probably keeps him from sleeping at night. He tries to count sheep but they turn into Yoshi so he gets scared and wets his Sonic sheets.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Sat May 27, 2017 4:04 pm

Kintor wrote:
shredingskin wrote: - What's the market of the switch ? People who want a powerful enough dedicated console/portable with multiplayer posibilities right out of the box.

- About smartphones ? Have a look at the Switch library in 5 months, and like 4 years of cellphones, people just don't really make hardcore games for phones, that's pretty much it (and if you want to play you have to use an external controller). Maybe that will change with phoneVR, but who would call a headset + joysticks "portable" ?

- Nintendo have had their fair share of problems with third parties (and consoles flooded with shovelware), will the switch change that ? Who the fuck knows, the market is the one that ends up speaking, and it looks like the switch it's the new hot thing and the game attach ratio for now seems pretty high. Also the hardware it's quite compatible with newer releases, so porting should not be that much of a problem.

There was a time when mobile gaming couldn't compete with a dedicated handheld. Even something ambitious like the hybrid phone/game handheld Nokia N-Gage was a joke, seeing as how you had to remove the battery in order to change game cartridges. Yet that all changed in 2007 with the release of the first iPhone. In the decade that passed since that day the power of smartphones has increased exponentially, eating away at any advantage handheld consoles once had.

Now you can find just about every genre of game imaginable on smartphones. This includes well-made ports of RPGs, such as Final Fantasy Tactics and even Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. The reality of mobile gaming is that people are willing to play for longer experiences, as something they can pick-up and play in a spare moment while on the ago, seeing those mobile RPGs (ports or brand new experiences) as something they will invest a lot of time in. That's the convenience of the smartphone, integrating the capabilities of other devices and then rendering those same devices obsolete.

To that end, the existence of the Nintendo Switch is really something of an anomaly at this point. The Switch itself is far too big to fit into someone's pocket like a smartphone. While on the other hand the Switch lacks the utility and multimedia functionality of a tablet PC. Plus, the Switch itself is an extra luxury purchase, something of debatable worth in any budget; while many today regard smartphones as an essentially piece of technology they have to own, even before a house or car. Nintendo can't compete with that kind of shift in the market, making the Switch something of a quaint machine increasingly out of touch with how people use technology today.

I remember the days I argued for Nintendo in the same silly ways you argue against them. :popcorn:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Kintor » Sun May 28, 2017 12:23 am

shredingskin wrote: Yup, I'm an idiot for playing good games on a good console with good controls instead of playing on a little screen freemium games on a touch screen. You really got me there... Not only that, people don't judge you ! How could I be so deluded !

You haven't done anything to address the points I made in my last point. The problem that Nintendo faces is that smartphone gaming simply offers a better user experience then the Switch. Smartphone screens are better quality and regularly approach the size of the Switch's own screen. Moreover, the wide variety of internet and multimedia capabilities of smartphones run circles around the Switch and its lack of basic network infrastructure. This is what has allowed smartphones to foster a better gaming library then Nintendo's own lack of third-party support, not just free to play games but also a host of purchasable platformers and RPGs for those want those kind of longer games. The Switch just can’t compete in today’s market.

Bluecast wrote: I remember the days I argued for Nintendo in the same silly ways you argue against them.

There's nothing strange in point out how mobile gaming has eroded Nintendo position the market, rendering their dedicated handheld consoles obsolete. Nintendo fans should really be a little more humble about the whole situation, seeing as how even Nintendo has had to make concessions and start making games for smartphones. Call it Nintendo hedging their bets if you like but the people have already shifted away from the Switch and what is represents, with smartphone in hand people aren't looking back.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Sun May 28, 2017 1:32 am

Kintor wrote:
shredingskin wrote: Yup, I'm an idiot for playing good games on a good console with good controls instead of playing on a little screen freemium games on a touch screen. You really got me there... Not only that, people don't judge you ! How could I be so deluded !

You haven't done anything to address the points I made in my last point. The problem that Nintendo faces is that smartphone gaming simply offers a better user experience then the Switch. Smartphone screens are better quality and regularly approach the size of the Switch's own screen. Moreover, the wide variety of internet and multimedia capabilities of smartphones run circles around the Switch and its lack of basic network infrastructure. This is what has allowed smartphones to foster a better gaming library then Nintendo's own lack of third-party support, not just free to play games but also a host of purchasable platformers and RPGs for those want those kind of longer games. The Switch just can’t compete in today’s market.

Bluecast wrote: I remember the days I argued for Nintendo in the same silly ways you argue against them.

There's nothing strange in point out how mobile gaming has eroded Nintendo position the market, rendering their dedicated handheld consoles obsolete. Nintendo fans should really be a little more humble about the whole situation, seeing as how even Nintendo has had to make concessions and start making games for smartphones. Call it Nintendo hedging their bets if you like but the people have already shifted away from the Switch and what is represents, with smartphone in hand people aren't looking back.

Heed my advice. I'm a vet with real experience on this board esp with this. Once you start all this negative stuff toward something specific. People stop trying to counter and just ignore you. It's probably best to stop now before people ignore everything you post. At this point you are just seen as targeting Nintendo,not bringing up points. No matter how many new CoD,David Cage or Tales topics are made you won't see me posting in them unlike the old days.
Another member I won't mention by name (started with a D) back then was also negative towards certain things. People of this forum stopped trying to counter him,he became more of a laughing stock and ignored much like another person. I am no mod so you can continue this all you want but I don't think they want to waste the energy countering you at this point. Don't be surprised if you get mostly ignored on this subject.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kintor » Sun May 28, 2017 3:17 am

Bluecast wrote: Heed my advice. I'm a vet with real experience on this board esp with this. Once you start all this negative stuff toward something specific. People stop trying to counter and just ignore you. It's probably best to stop now before people ignore everything you post. At this point you are just seen as targeting Nintendo,not bringing up points. No matter how many new CoD,David Cage or Tales topics are made you won't see me posting in them unlike the old days.

It's not my problem that Nintendo has made themselves an easy target over the years. Conversations about the Switch's lack of multimedia functionality or embarrassingly inadequate network support wouldn't be happening if Nintendo bothered to keep up with technological standards. Because the internet isn't a walled garden, it's a mass communication system with differing sources of information all being spread across the web at the speed of light. Yet Nintendo fans never cease to be surprised when they venture out from their enclaves to discover that the rest of the gaming community doesn't suffer from the same technological disadvantages. Nintendo will continue to be the laughing stock of the industry until they realise just how far behind they really are.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Sun May 28, 2017 3:24 am

As expected you will keep going on about this. Ok then I tried.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Sun May 28, 2017 4:32 am

Last time I respond because you're clearly deluded and I've already responded to everything to said:

smartphone gaming simply offers a better user experience then the Switch

Like everyone knows playing on a cellphone sucks, full of shovelware, freemium, shitty controls, little screens, badly optimized. Then you're even wronger about the switch, it's the only console you can have multiplayer on the go with a single console and a cleverly piece of industrial design. Not only that but the graphics card of the switch it's pretty powerful even compared to the newest phones that cost the double.

Smartphone screens are better quality and regularly approach the size of the Switch's own screen.

Yup, but not everyone gives a shit about having something you'll ALWAYS have on being the size of the switch.

This is what has allowed smartphones to foster a better gaming library then Nintendo's own lack of third-party support, not just free to play games but also a host of purchasable platformers and RPGs for those want those kind of longer games.

This is just deluded as fuck. Have seen the ds/3ds library ?? Do you even know the fucking market ?? No one even wants gives a shit about playing gta on a cellphone because it sucks. No one cares of putting effort in their games because the model it's trying to reel in the whales and it's a hit or miss, if you don't get featured then you're buried in time. I just think this is trolling, some people try to cash in doing a shitty port because it's easy to do, no one can be this dense. Really you're living in paralel realities, even the best games you have for cellphones are ds games that are suited for touchscreen. Just look at all those ports of real games that no one is fucking playing ! They're not playing simply because playing on cellphones sucks, everyone that plays games on cellphones just play casual games that are made for 5 minutes of playtime and everyone knows it.

The only point you made it's the lack of media that the switch has (and everyone pretty much thinks it's a given that will come pretty soon).

Like really this conversation is so fucking stupid (and so fucking old), ever since the first iphone came out cellphones have been a lot better than portables, and it always ends the same. Feels like you don't fucking got the memo.

Just try playing Shenmue on reicast, it sucks balls, you need to have your index like a fucking autist to control it, ends up covering 1/3 of the screen and the input is wonky as fuck. It's cool for a moment to see, but it's far from being a good game experience, everyone fucking knows it, really, you're just being weird.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby sand4fish » Sun May 28, 2017 5:18 am

Kintor wrote: I haven't done anything to address the points I made in my last point.

FTFY
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Sun May 28, 2017 5:42 am

Nobody here know's anything about the videogame business, this argument is stupid, can we just talk about how awesome ARMS looks, fucking christ.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Sun May 28, 2017 7:20 am

Thief wrote: Nobody here know's anything about the videogame business, this argument is stupid, can we just talk about how awesome ARMS looks, fucking christ.

I studied with various guys that have worked on the mobile industry (because that's pretty much the only business argentina has in terms of gaming).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming